PDA

View Full Version : Bangles & Baubles Box - Project of the Month OCTOBER 2011

mtylerfl
09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for SEPTEMBER 2011), called the The Bangles & Baubles Box.The Bangles & Baubles Box project features convex sides for the round base with a decorative hexagonal lid for a unique “look” not often seen in a box design. The subtle convex appearance was achieved by creating a model in Aspire then using CarveWright’s STL import software and sliced/pierced carve function for layered patterns. The resulting layers are glued together then sanded to blend into the final smooth shape.

The project uses just the two bits that came with your machine. No other bits are required.

The finished box dimensions are about 8¾" round x 4½” tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Lid_and_Middle.mpc
• Lower_Bottom_Section.mpc
• Upper_Bottom_Section.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Lid_and_Middle: .75" x 11" x 26"
Lower_Bottom: .75" x 11" x 28"
Upper_Bottom: .75" x 11" x 28"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Hinge(s) for lid
(I used Brainerd hinge #1264XC ¾" x 4" piano-style)

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, CA wood adhesive, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.

Here’s what I used on my Bangles & Baubles Box made from Select Pine:
• One coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
• Applied three coats full-strength Bullseye Sealcoat
• Applied one coat Amber Shellac
• Applied Valspar translucent Mocha #94825 Glaze and
dry-brushed off the excess glaze
• Applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic

The box can be modified as a “lift lid” instead of using hinges. Simply cut out your own 6½" O.D. circle and glue it centered under the decorative lid. Another idea is to finish the box with metallic paints and antiquing glazes to give the box an “ancient” metallurgical appearance. Use your imagination when deciding how you want your Bangles & Baubles Box to look!

dbfletcher
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Very nice! I let my POM run out... I guess I better resubscribe. Now that winter is coming I should be able to get more time to do stuff.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-29-2011, 08:05 PM
My wife makes jewelry, in her free time, something that was supposed to be a hobby. This will be a great addition to her website ... I can't wait to get one carved. Awesome as usual.

mtylerfl
09-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Very nice! I let my POM run out... I guess I better resubscribe. Now that winter is coming I should be able to get more time to do stuff.

Thank you, Doug! Glad you're going to be able to get some more "shop time" worked in!

My wife makes jewelry, in her free time, something that was supposed to be a hobby. This will be a great addition to her website ... I can't wait to get one carved. Awesome as usual.

Thanks, Jason! Yes, I've seen your wife's work and it is wonderful! (I really need to order some items, actually. Christmas will be here before we know it!)

b.sumner47
09-29-2011, 09:17 PM
The", Bangle & Baubles Box" is just in time for that wonderful time of year HO, HO, HO season. Nice project, Michael. Capt Barry

mtylerfl
09-29-2011, 09:18 PM
The", Bangle & Baubles Box" is just in time for that wonderful time of year HO, HO, HO season. Nice project, Michael. Capt Barry

Thank you, Barry!

rcdages
09-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Michael,

Once again you hit the mark. Great POM.

I'll make one for my niece with a Dog Paw print on the lid.

chebytrk
09-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Waaaayy. Cool! Funny how my wife is the one asking me toward the end of each month..... "has Michael posted a Sneak Peak yet?". Yo, I'm the one that is in the POM club & does the carving! Now she's excited about this one!.... Just like the one before & the one before & the one before.....

JerryB using Tapatalk

Smoken D
09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Great Project Michael. I know a few people that will enjoy this work of art!

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm trying to get this one out today, so you guys can make them over the weekend. Hopefully, if anyone wanted this months, they haven't waited till the last minute to subscribe.

dbfletcher
09-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I did wait till the last minute.. just resubscribed to the POM today... but it's all good.. the September wreath was sent as POM #1 for the new year. (I wanted it anyways so no complaints from me)

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I did wait till the last minute.. just resubscribed to the POM today... but it's all good.. the September wreath was sent as POM #1 for the new year. (I wanted it anyways so no complaints from me)

Sssssswwwhhhew! You had me sweatin' at first!! Glad you got it in time, cause it's too late now!!! Enjoy the new project! She's on her way.

SteveJ
09-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Thank you for getting it out early! It will be a busy weekend with the POM and Ed's new toy for the CW. Have a great weekend!

b.sumner47
09-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Is anyone having trouble getting the new POM ? Capt Barry

dbfletcher
09-30-2011, 08:46 PM
I was able to download it, but when I try to update my licenses, it isnt showing up. I just did the Sept wreath earlier today, so I know my new subscription is active and working correctly.

chebytrk
09-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Wow! Hope I didn't screw something up. I had the same problem.... when I went to update nothing showed up except the word Patterns with a box and I checked it and nothing was downloaded. I figured maybe my subscription ran out so I bought another subscription and I get the same thing. I hope that if it wasn't up yet that this new subscription will just get added on to what I just purchased. Anyone know how I can check this out or even if it's possible?

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Eye yii yii!! Okay, let me get my laptop out and see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Are you all able to download the zip file?

dbfletcher
09-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I was. But just like JerryB said, It only show a Blank Checkbox under patterns that are available to license. I'll do a quick screenshot and attach to this post.

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Well....the only thing we can think of is that it may not allow us to send it out a day early. I'm crossing my fingers that at midnight, you all will be able to update the licenses. I'll check in the morning.

dbfletcher
09-30-2011, 09:43 PM
No problem. Have a good evening Connie.

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 09:43 PM
What does it normally say? (Sorry, I've never seen that screen. I'm on the sending end, not the receiving end.) Guess I need to make myself an account.

Does it always say Patterns and then list the project?

dbfletcher
09-30-2011, 09:45 PM
I believe so.... I wish I would of payed better attention when i did the wreath earlier. I'll see if i can delete one and then have it re-add

edit: nope... I cant delete

lynnfrwd
09-30-2011, 09:51 PM
If I have to I'll rename the file and send it out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.sumner47
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
No problem, I though that I did something wrong. Thanks Connie, have a pleaseant nights rest. Capt Barry

chebytrk
10-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Looks like it still isn't working. Just tried it and I get the same thing... only the word Patterns and nothing below it to select the POM.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-01-2011, 06:42 AM
I am getting an error as well .....

Smoken D
10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Same problem here as Fletcher. Downloaded the project, unable to update the license. Nothing in new patterns box, just a blank.

lynnfrwd
10-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, I'm sorry, but it is nothing I can fix.

I have narrowed it down and discovered that all patterns, collections or projects created after 9/19 will not allow you to activate them. That is when we were dealing with the hacker and I'm assuming in all of our updates, something was changed that effects the activation code generation software. You can register anything that was created 9/19 and prior. New Patterns to the Store on 9/23 and since, will not allow you to activate them.

IT will have to look into it on Monday. I have sent them all an email about what I have discovered, so I'm sure they will be at least thinking about it over the weekend.

We will get it resolved as soon as possible. POM's and any pattern purchases affected will be made good.

dbfletcher
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Connie.... now go enjoy your weekend. I fully understand how these things can happen and I have full confidence that LHR will resolve the issue as soon as possible.

b.sumner47
10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Won't accept my password, O-Well till monday,tuesday or when ever. Connie is a very special person. Thanks All, Capt Barry

Smoken D
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Connie! Guess that hacker done made a mess even fer this weekend. Who gotta pattern fer a rope!

chebytrk
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
OK......... let's hope they find the bug in the program so we can get our POM. Cross your fingers guys!

lynnfrwd
10-03-2011, 12:36 PM
They are working on it.

rcdages
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Thank you Connie,

I figured I was doing something wrong.

Good luck guys on getting it taken care of.

atauer
10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Okay guys. Just got word that they believe the issue is resolved, and I have already had one customer verify that it does work. So, try it out, and let us know.

rcdages
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Good deal Alex, when I get hope I'll try it. I'll let you know.

chebytrk
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Houston............ This is Chebytrk base.............we have contact with our POM !

lynnfrwd
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
LOL...all engines GO!

LittleRedWoodshop
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
I got my Licenses to update ... good to go.

chebytrk
10-03-2011, 05:23 PM
LOL...all engines GO!

Well... engine KINDA goes and mostly sputters, but it runs! : ) Chebytrk base out.........

Smoken D
10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Go for me. Got my license updated.

easybuilt
10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I got my update!! Nice job guys and thank you!

rcdages
10-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Wonderful job LHR, I got my POM licensed. Big thank you all.