PDA

View Full Version : measuring process.

Fardoche
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi,

it there a way the measuring process may be skipped ?

As an exemple, I have to process the exact same project 5 times on 5 boards with same measurements.

If the measuring process may be skipped it would be faster ?!

Anybody heard that it might be an option in a future version of the Designer ??

Thanks!!!:)

edzbaker
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Francois, I know of NO WAY to skip the measuring process. I too wish there was.

Ed

bergerud
09-28-2011, 06:26 PM
If you make a sled which allows you to change boards without releasing the sled, then the machine will not go through the whole measurement process each time. You will still have to answer most of those questions. It saves a little time. I did it for the sake of repeatability when carving the three sides of my trefoil knots. I would carve the sides of a batch of knots once I got it right. In your case it is probably not worth it.

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2011, 06:28 PM
As everyone notices... Use "Center on Board" and the machine measures the board TWICE.... That is a lot of wear and tear and TIME....

Did you know if you setup your project and use "Place on END" is will measure from the right side of Designer to the length of the Board in Designer. ONE TIME.... Saves LOTS of TIME.....

I design all my projects with a 4 inch dead area on the right side of Designer, then start my Art from there.... I always select to NOT Stay under the Rollers as I have my Artificial 4 inches of wood to stay under the rollers manually. I leave the Physical board LONG so I have both ends under the rollers. I have even been know to use "MASKING TAPE" to hold a 4 inch block of wood the same size on the end to be more "FrugAL".... When the Clock or project is done, I snap off the 4 inch wood and use my Radial Arm Saw to cut off the clock. I attach the Fake 4 inches with Masking Tape and away I go.... I keep a Dowel next to the machine and hold down the 4 inch block when it is at the brass roller from the top down through the flex slot.

Good Luck,

AL

eelamb
09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Al I like your method. I have always made a movable right side for the rollers. Which means I had to be exact on the pattern board size to make sure it fit between the two ends. Hope that makes sense. Doing it your way I waste 4" of wood, or as you said tape on a blank. I also like LG's method which gives better repeatability, and I think it only measures once because it knows where the board edge is already, and does not need to find the center, then the edge again. LG correct me if I am wrong on the measurement part, been awhile since I used it.

myshop1044
09-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Francois, I understand your question or request, I myself ask for the same request some time ago.
It would be nice to be able to go thru the measurements along with bit check once and save the measuring and bit check,
then enter the number of carvings needed in the proccess. Maybe it could be put as a fuction under one of the keys on the keypad.
As it stand now, I will have make 36 ,1 hr carvings because I could not paste the vector drawing correctly on the back side of the project and I will have to flip the project over by hand in the sled and remeasure the whole thing again to complete 18 projects. I do understand that the CW was not ment to be a high production machine.
These will be TEE Box markers
just my thoughts on the subject.
Perry