PDA

View Full Version : Is the CT Really Quiet?

w2csa
09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Fellow Carvers.
Next month will mark my first aniversary of opening a storefront on Main Street! Previously I had worked out of our house.
One of the decisions I had to make was to leave the CW back at the house and hibernate it as it would be too noisy and dusty for the store.
I have just ordered a vacume kit from Ringneckblues which will solve some of the sawdust issues.
Now my main question, does the CT quiet the CW significantly? I do have a cellar at the store...perhaps I could bring the CW to the store and put it in the cellar.
Either way, I'm going to bring it back to life and start carving again!
Thanks,
Chris

edzbaker
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Chris I don't own a CT (yet) but I have done extensive testing to help quiet down the machine. If you get your DC installed from Floyd (Ringneck), then add a CT, then take some foam rubber and gently pack some of it inside the machine, bottom end, between the Metal Side Covers and the ends of the tracking rollers. That will stop the metal sides from broadcasting a lot of noise. I have one machine with only a balanced QC, with foam rubber like I suggest, and that machine is quieter than my wifes upright vacume cleaner.

I hope it helps you too....

Ed

w2csa
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks Ed, sounds like it just might wirk out.
It would be great to have it at the store.
Chris

lynnfrwd
09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
See this thread as well:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18955-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle

(http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18955-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle)

Sallen1215
09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Ed, I am highly intrigued by your packing of foam rubber... can you show pictures or possible take an illustration from the manual and draw where you pack the rubber and what thickness you use? My wife would be very grateful for any help on this matter.

Hubby in the dog house
Stephen

Digitalwoodshop
09-27-2011, 09:10 PM
The Shrill of the Cut Motor Exhaust can be run into a turned off wet Dry Vac.... A big Muffler... Un Plugged Wet Dry Vac....

That helps...

AL

edzbaker
09-28-2011, 06:26 PM
OK, Here are pictures showing the foam rubber I use to stop the Metal Ends from resonating.

And like Al said, the shrill noise from the cooling fan can be controlled by using a BIG muffler, like an unplugged shop vac. (Or plugged in, but not turned on :D)

Ed

gapdev
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Going from Quick Chuck Adapter to Rock Chuck to CarveTight and a new machine with a CarveTight, I would have to say No to the Question as to whether or not the CarveTight makes the machine quieter.

It *sounds* and runs smoother, but decibel wise, you won't be dropping a lot, if any, decibels.

Kenny

Sallen1215
09-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Ed, i know you have been busy filling orders so i do thank you very much for sharing that information with us....

People like you and Al are who made my choice to purchase the carvewright so much easier as i see how much support there is for its operators

Thanks Again

Stephen

w2csa
01-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Well thanks all for your input.
Installed the CT and vacuum attachment.
The vacuum attachment works great and totally solved that issue.
As for the noise, no difference that I could notice. I'm going to try insulating the case as suggested. I have noticed most of the noise is coming from the cut motor "exhaust" pipe.
I like the idea of running a hose to a wet dry vacuum turned off.
Any other similar suggestions?
It's great to be back online, the goal is to have the CW upstairs in the store within easy reach but not so noisy that it would be disruptive.
Thanks again.
Chris

cestout
01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Since I changed the screw in my CT, it is not much louder than the dust collector. It is very quiet and the carves a much smoother than the QC.
Clint

jaroot
01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Well ours is significantly quieter with the CT than it was with the QC. Our dust collector is noisier than the CW. The exhaust is the noisiest part and hooking it up to a non-working vacuum seems to really help that.

liquidguitars
08-30-2012, 02:33 AM
Carvetight just started to fail this week as it's really loud and figging hot... I not sure if it's a bad flex shaft or the bearing are shot. I going to swap out a Rock chuck to see if it runs smoother... :confused:

lawrence
08-30-2012, 07:33 AM
funny, I just had a flex shaft fail last weekend-- started to sound like it was "rattling" and got hot. I took a chance and just swapped out the core and all was fine after that. (and I'm using a Rock Chuck and LOVE it- my point being I think it was my core that went bad, not the chuck)

Lawrence

easybuilt
08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Lawrence I also had a flex core fail last month for the first time but I did not catch it until it melted the flex shaft sheath. Replaced both and everything is fine and I only use the rock on both machines.

liquidguitars
08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok , I had a bad flex shaft in the unit, the trick to find one is to remove it and twist it back and forth if you have a lot of play it's bad... I also had a bad 3/16" bit " i must of hit a screw.. so the combo was heat and the noise. yuck... thanks guys...