PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Jig History

edzbaker
09-27-2011, 08:51 AM
For anyone interested. For years I made Custom Hand Carved Walking canes for people, and I owned a Carvewright machine that I used for other carving projects. I wanted to speed up my cane making, and improve on the cane carvings, so three years ago I set out to develope a way to carve on Round stock with the Carvewright Woodworking system. Through trial and error, I made MUCH Pretty firewood, but I was determined that it could be done. Finally, my first successful round carving was done two years ago.
During these last two years, Al mentioned several times on the forum that he wished for a 4th axis, and I would read his comments and think to myself "If only you knew". Finally back in Feb 2011, I talked to AL about my Rotary Jig. I was hesitant about releasing it to anyone, and actually refused to let anyone see my process for making canes with the Carvewright. Al finally convinced me that it was for the good of the Carvewright Owners, that I get in contact with LHR. The rest is history, and LHR has tested and approved my Rotary Jig.
So to make a long story short, It didn't happen overnight, and I did have a bunch of the prettiest firewood in America for several months. Thankfully I have a homemade bandsaw mill, and I didn't have to purchase all of that test wood.

Al, again I thank you.... Thank You Michael,,,and I thank all of the folks at LHR... especially Joe L. for your encouragment..

your humble woodworking friend,

Ed

Chay
09-27-2011, 11:21 AM
One up for you. Genius at work. You have extended the uses of the Carvewright .
I hope you do well with your jig an canes.
Chay

fwharris
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Ed,

Great write up on your evolution with the jig. Glad to see the BIG AL had a part in your process as he was the one who also gave me the encouragement to move forward with my insert.

Mikewiz
01-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Hey,
Could anyone who owns the rotary jig measer the board with the sand paper. I need the legnth. When IT bought mine used the board had water damage on one end, I used the jig for the first time yesterday and with the swelling the dowel raises as the board moves more to the damaged end. So I need to make a new board. I don't know if the legnth is that cridical or not. Thanks in advance, Mike

edzbaker
01-21-2014, 10:22 AM
The Length of the flat panel is NOT critical. It just needs to be "the circumference of your dowel, PLUS seven inches, or more"

Mikewiz
01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks edzbaker.