PDA

View Full Version : Please help if you can

icando49
09-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I have one of the first machines from Carvewright... have had it for several years, however it has never been used.

Had it covered in my shop, it worked when I set it there.. went to turn it on and do a project..

The screen comes on but nothing else.

I took off the top cover, and reset all of the terminals, I took off the bottom cover and reset all of the terminals

I still get the screen on but the machine will do nothing..

this machine has not had one board project thru it yet>>

Any further suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Em

ibewiggin
09-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Is the card in the machine? Have you also tried adjusting the contrast knob?

icando49
09-25-2011, 02:25 PM
yes, programed for project, adjusting the contrast knob... you can see it get darker and lighter.

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Go to the CarveWright Site and load the latest version of Designer and load that on the card.

Look at your machine and I bet you have the older 18 pin FFC Cable. The wide flat cable that is connected to the Z Truck.

You might be better to get this new 14 pin upgrade before you go any further.

In the mean time press Options and then look for Sensor Data. The first is Cover Closed, Cover Open, work through all the selections and see what is working and report back. The X, Y, Z, and Brass Roller all read 0000 until you move them. Board Sensor with white copy paper on board cranked down should be 156.

Rollers Compressed... Crank down on board and then up to see it change states.

See Picture to know if you have the 18 pin or 14 pin. IF you plug a 14 pin cable into the old 18 pin circuit board it will short out your $300.00 computer.

The kit includes 2 circuit boards and a cable.

AL

ibewiggin
09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
I was going to recommend trying to upgrade software on card.

icando49
09-25-2011, 02:53 PM
I have the older pin connection ... when I put in the card programed, nothing comes up.. not any thing.

you can tell that there is life in the machine because the lighten and darken work on the board, however nothing else comes up.

every thing happens on a day when no one is working, so I will try tomarrow to get to cw and get the new part comming.. hoping that will make the machine go..

I would like to thank you for answering today..just hope to get this going.. I have already gotten the latest version of designer and loaded on the card.

lynnfrwd
09-25-2011, 03:08 PM
When u put the card in the machine it updates the firmware in the machine. Try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbfletcher
09-25-2011, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=lynnfrwd;162249]When u put the card in the machine it updates the firmware in the machine. Try that.

It was my understanding that the firmware "lives" on the card. I don't think it actually gets transferred from the card to any location in the machine (except for possibly ram).

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I needed to think like 2007..... I bet the Power Supply L2 is broken off...... And intermittent power.....

AL

edzbaker
09-25-2011, 06:35 PM
if you haven't EVER used the machine, I think it should work without any upgrades. (I have five machines and three of them have NO Upgrades, and they work perfectly) First of all.. Make sure the machine is ALWAYS POWERED OFF when you insert or remove the Memory card. Second, I would Format the card and update the firmware. Then upload a project, then try the machine again. It sounds to me like you might have a problem with your memory card.

Hope this helps

Ed

icando49
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
ps will be checking the power supply connection

icando49
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM
is there any one in or around sioux falls working with a carvewright machine??

thanks Em

lynnfrwd
09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
You might want to go ahead and spend the $25 to troubleshoot the machine with a hardware technician over the phone, since you are long out of warranty.

icando49
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
talk to a tec he said to send the machine in or just the card and the computer part... was hoping to find someone here that had a card so I could try it.

I have reset all of the connections flashed the card , double checked on the softwear updates, reset power suppply connections

will go over it again tomarrow.. sure learning a lot about the machine. still looking for some one in south easter South Dakota if they have a machine ...

thanks Em

edzbaker
09-27-2011, 10:03 AM
icando, Going all the way back to the simplest problem that could cause your problem. (Nothing on the screen) On all of my machines, when inserting the memory card, I have to "Play around" with them to get them to go all the way into the plug. It seems that one side of the other of the card always kinda hangs up in the guide. Once I do get it right, it slides in all the way easy, then the last 1/4 inch it has to be pushed harder to get it into the socket correctly. Just to be sure the memory card is in right,, do you feel that resistance the last 1/4 inch of the slide in ??

Ed

AskBud
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
is there any one in or around sioux falls working with a carvewright machine??

thanks EmCheck this link.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17524-US-South-Dakota
AskBud