PDA

View Full Version : The cat is out of the bag.. Round Carvings are possible with the Carvewright.

Pages : [1] 2

edzbaker
09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag (See the www.Carvewright (http://www.Carvewright) page) I suppose it is time to show off some of the walking canes I have been making for nearly three years. Take a look at this: http://customcarved.web.officelive.com/default.aspx the red tabs on the left side of the pages have numerous pictures.

As you can see the Carvewright is capable of rotating and carving round stock. Yep,, just like a 4th axis machine does it.

Ed

dbfletcher
09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
I do have a question of how your setup compares tot eh LHR CO2 Attachment. I always kind of wished they made that available to end users but I think I remember reading at one time it was for educational users only.

edzbaker
09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I do have a question of how your setup compares tot eh LHR CO2 Attachment. I always kind of wished they made that available to end users but I think I remember reading at one time it was for educational users only.

Doug it has nothing in common with the CO2 attachment.. My "Rotary Jig" Rotates the carving stock as it is being carved. It carves in 360 degrees wraping the carving AROUND the carving stock. It is limited to 14 inch stock, 2 inches in diameter, and you must leave one inch on each end uncarved for it to rotate the stock with.

see these pictures of some Candlestick holders carved with the Rotary Jig. You can definately tell that they were Rotated while being carved.

I also added a picture of the Carvewright (Cover Removed to take the picture) with the round piece being carved. As you can see, it is Round.
This picture was when I was carving a Cross in Cedar, to become a walking cane.

NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE
It doesn't say so in the advertisment, BUT, The Rotary Jig will be shipped with TWO pieces of 2" by 14" Carving stock, (Maple or Birch) so that you are ready to start.

fwharris
09-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag (See the www.Carvewright (http://www.Carvewright) page) I suppose it is time to show off some of the walking canes I have been making for nearly three years. Take a look at this: http://customcarved.web.officelive.com/default.aspx the red tabs on the left side of the pages have numerous pictures.

As you can see the Carvewright is capable of rotating and carving round stock. Yep,, just like a 4th axis machine does it.

Ed

Got mine ordered! Looking forward to giving it a spin!!

skeeterman
09-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I cannot seem to find it, where did you order it from floyd?
steve

SteveEJ
09-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Guess I missed it. Where can I see the Jig?

Edit: Never mind.. I found it! Looks interesting..

skeeterman
09-23-2011, 06:59 PM
ok i found it under 3rd party items, its order time
steve

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, this is EXCITING NEWS I have been waiting for.... I knew of the working prototype and MUM was the word until it was released... This is a pretty EXCITING new item for the CW.....

And wait until you hear the reply I got a few minutes ago when I mentioned removing the 2 jacking screws and moving the keypad aside..... This will blow your mind.....

GREAT WORK !!!!!!

AL

bayea
09-23-2011, 07:40 PM
oh very cool !!!!! how do you design for a 360 carve?

lawrence
09-23-2011, 07:59 PM
EXCELLENT!!!

This seems an excellent product and I look forward to buying one-- (right after the STL importer) -- a couple of questions I'm sure others will want to hear about too
1. Does it work with sandpaper and/or the rubber belts?
2. Will it work with the QC/Carvetight/ROCK chuck on a machine? In other words, are there any limitations based on the type of chuck?
3. Has it been tried with any of the common Dust collection systems (ringneck, fletcher's DC, bergerund) in place?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing more about how this amazing contraption works!
Lawrence

edzbaker
09-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Lawrence, The Rotary jig was tested by LHR. It will work with either sandpaper or rubber belts, and any of the Bit Chucks that you named. Dust collection is very much needed, and I would recommend the Ringneck.

Bayea, Take a look at some of the canes I have been making. Those pictures might help answer your question. They can be found here:
http://customcarved.web.officelive.com/default.aspx For these, I set up a board 6.728 long by 14 wide, and place my patterns in a carved region of .300 deep. You can only carve on 12 inches of the 14 inch stock. it requires one inch on each end to center and rotate the stock.

I hope this answers some of the questions..

Ed

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2011, 08:31 PM
So similar to setting up the page size for a laser engraver, the paper height is the diameter of the stock or bottle.... OR in the CW case... Board Width is Stock Diameter and 12 inch wide or board length of 12 inches....

At least that is how I understand it....

WOW.... I posted over on Sawmill Creek about this on the CarveWright Thread and sent off a PM to Guy Mathew my local 4th Axis and CNC "GOD".... ChrisAlb and I visited him a few years ago.....

AL

skeeterman
09-23-2011, 08:36 PM
ordered mine, hope it comes with good step by step instructions
steve

edzbaker
09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Steve, The instructions are being "Profesionalized" by Michael Tyler this weekend. You all know him, and how he does things. I'm certain that they will be much better than the instructions that I had written up. The Rotary Jig will have TWO pieces of 2" by 14" round carving stock (Birch or Maple) included, along with a copy of instructions.

Al, thanks for the publicity ! ! The setup is actually Diameter = board length. And width of 14 inches. For 2 inch stock I use 6.728 Length, and it works out well.

If you noticed the "Beer Tap Handle" on the e-mail, that was designed and carved at LHR, by Joe Lovchik

This picture shows how I would setup to carve the top of a cane. You can study the MPC and get the idea. The Rotary Jig would "Wrap" the MPC around the carving stock.

Ike
09-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Very cool Ed!!!! And congratulations to you and Floyd for your great inventions that are LHR approved! I think it is fantastic and brightens the already bright light from LHR!

Ike

LittleRedWoodshop
09-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a couple of questions ...

1. Are you going to make the patterns, that you use, available for purchase
2. Where do we order more material to be used in the jig, what is the price and shipping time

ladjr
09-23-2011, 10:43 PM
This is great. How do you make a 32 in cane. Are you combining them. I have never had luck putting them together. I have had t use a lathe. I have a retirement center I make canes for (free) and this will be great.

c6craig
09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Congrats on a very cool product, I see this adding a whole new level to the projects that can be accomplished. I am definitely in line for one of these, just holding off until I hear a bit more about patterns and stock to make these. For those of us that don't have such a great imagination, I would suggest selling patterns that work well on the round stock, as well as possibly the tips to make the canes.

My grandpa just started using a cane and it would make me pretty proud to give him one that I made, he has always been very supportive of my making sawdust. :)

Thanks,
Craig

mtylerfl
09-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Can you say...Chess Set? hmmm...

liquidguitars
09-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I am little lost, do you manually turn it as the unit carves or do you have a servo, also looks like the mpc is not wrapped so are you just turning 1/4 and or reloading the pattern?

lawrence
09-24-2011, 12:26 AM
it appears to me that the sled sits stationary and the movement of the sandpaper belts moves the edge sandpaper belts which turns the piece-- am I right? If so, that is excellent "thinking out of the box".

This is one of those items that, now that the idea is out of the bag, could probably be duplicated fairly easily.
I for one will be sure to purchase it as the inventor deserves credit (and money), in my opinion, for coming up with such a revolutionary idea.

Well done indeed-
Lawrence

fwharris
09-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I am little lost, do you manually turn it as the unit carves or do you have a servo, also looks like the mpc is not wrapped so are you just turning 1/4 and or reloading the pattern?

LG,

I got a chance to view it at LHR and the jig is held stationary in the machine and the bottom board indexes the round stock with each pass.

liquidguitars
09-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Sweet! I like the idea of the belt turning it.. Nice idea and looks like setting up a pattern would be simple.

edzbaker
09-24-2011, 06:05 AM
This is great. How do you make a 32 in cane. Are you combining them. I have never had luck putting them together. I have had t use a lathe. I have a retirement center I make canes for (free) and this will be great.

ladjr, To make a cane I start with a 36" piece of 2 inch stock. Cut off the top 14 inches, carve it and then re-join it to the bottom piece using a 3/4 inch hardwood dowel in the center. Turn it down on a wood lathe and attach the handle with another 3/4 inch dowel. With some practice you can hardly find the joint.

edzbaker
09-24-2011, 06:25 AM
I have a couple of questions ...

1. Are you going to make the patterns, that you use, available for purchase
2. Where do we order more material to be used in the jig, what is the price and shipping time

Patterns that you already have can be used with the Rotary jig, but I'm sure some of the pattern makers will get on board soon with patterns specifically for the Rotary Jig. I believe Michael Tyler is interested in doing just that.

Two Inch Diameter stock can be purchased from several places: Bayerwood.com has Birch in 2" x 36" for just over $8 ea. Caseyswood.com has them for around $11. craftparts.com has maple, So there are several suppliers. And if you have (or know someone who has) a wood lathe, you can make the rounds.
I have about 100 2" X 36" mix of Cedar, Maple, and wild cherry, that are available. I am making some 14" stock from Black Walnut but those will not be ready for a few months.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-24-2011, 06:27 AM
thank you for the answer ....

gsdsj
09-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Ed, looks like a great idea! How about a video of it in action, I'm sure it would clear up a lot of questions. Greg

Smoken D
09-24-2011, 08:57 AM
WoW! What fantastic gifts that will make! Yep! Mine has been ordered, great principal and simple. Great Job! More fun with this machine:D

SteveEJ
09-24-2011, 10:06 AM
How does the machine measure the board on start up? Is there a trick to that? Seems like it would be an infinite loop without something to tell it that it is at the end of the board. Also, what is the cost?

Thanks..

Nighthawk12
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Wow Ed what a great idear, Just placed my order can't wait to get my hands on the Rotary Jig. My wife likes to bake
Cookies now she can roll designs in them. In the Kairos prison ministry we take cookies in for the inmates with this we can personalize the cookies :)

Thanks Jim

lynnfrwd
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Wow Ed what a great idear, Just placed my order can't wait to get my hands on the Rotary Jig. My wife likes to bake
Cookies now she can roll designs in them. In the Kairos prison ministry we take cookies in for the inmates with this we can personalize the cookies :)

Thanks Jim

I had a neighbor when I was little that had the most beautiful collection of German decorative rolling pins. Awesome idea for the new rotary jig!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Malmstrom
09-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I think the board on the bottom would prabably be moved along by the belts while the round peice would be in contact with it and spin while the entire frame of the unit would be stationary. Thats how I think it might work. Which makes me wonder if this could be made in different sizes to accomodate for various diamiter of round board stock.

I posted this and then noticed that it was answered about ten post ago. This is moving fast. Or maybe I didn't notice that there were two pages.

Alan

b.sumner47
09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm trying to place an order, but How ? Capt Barry

edzbaker
09-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Capt Barry,, This link should work. Hopefully... Scroll to the bottom of the page.. it should be listed.

https://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=22676&cat=304&jmid=2724&j=265430379

As for all of the questions concerning "Details" about "How it's done", It will all be explained in the detailed instructions that come with the Rotary Jig.

It's actually NOT so simple that a cave-man can do it. .. I suppose that's why it hasn't been done before...

Ed

liquidguitars
09-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I had a neighbor when I was little that had the most beautiful collection of German decorative rolling pins. Awesome idea for the new rotary jig!!!!

Here you go Connie... The roller pin handles will need some work as it looks a little chubby. Funny thing I i was thinking the a roller would be a good project last night.

edzbaker
09-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Ahhh I knew that all we had to do is get the women involved. My wife likes the rolling pin idea and then added, if you inverted the patterns, and cut them into the rolling-pin, you could roll out "Sculpty Clay" and make personalized jewelry, as well as cookies. I think I like the cookie idea best, especially with a glass of cold milk.

Ed

lawrence
09-24-2011, 01:06 PM
It's actually NOT so simple that a cave-man can do it. .. I suppose that's why it hasn't been done before...

Ed

Sorry... hope you didn't think that I was saying that it was-- Nope, I certainly tip my hat to you-- it really is a quite ingenious concept and we are all just curious as to how it works. As I'm sure you know, many of us tend to be tinkers and when such a revolutionary idea is revealed to us, many of us wonder how the concept could be adjusted (bigger for carving coffee mugs... smaller for back scratchers?... true 3D carving in the fourth axis?)

I'm just excited and intrigued-- and saving my pennies to buy one
Lawrence

edzbaker
09-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Lawrence, I was not offended in any way. And I definately understand the curiosity. I appreciate your comments.
I have made different size Rotary Jigs in the past and have carved stock up to 4 inches in diameter. See the attached pictures. On this mug the Handle was added after the Rotary Carve, and the "Insides" was cut out with a wood lathe. But I supose a large forstner bit would have done the job also.

The Rotary jig that is for sale "COULD" be modified to cut different sizes,, once anyone got some practice on it, and understood it well.

Ed

Kenm810
09-24-2011, 02:08 PM
This looks like it's going to be Funnnn ---- Ya!!

SteveEJ
09-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Ken,
Love the patterns. One thing to remember is the patterns are somewhat distorted when wrapped. Modeling software accounts for this when designing specifically for the fourth axis. I run into this on my Legacy when turning relief carvings. To see this, design a circle into a pattern/mpc and carve it on a round cylinder.

Playing with this would be fun indeed. Maybe LHR can build some addins for Designer specifically for cylinders?

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes, this sure kicked the Hornets Nest in Activity... When Ed told me about it a few months ago I knew it would be a HIT and add a whole new direction to the Machine. I am glad he went to LHR with it first.

And I did have that wrong looking at it from a Laser Engraver Rotary Artwork... The Laser uses the top of the Artwork as the top of the Laser... So for that, Wine Bottle or Glass is Diameter = Page Heigth... With the CW it is 90 degrees where the right side of Designer = First part in the machine. So Board Length = Diameter....

This is SO exciting... I see the Artwork Designers having a blast with this....

I would like to hear more about Air Lifting the CW and getting rid of the jacking screws.... moving the keyboard to the side...

This would let you leave the Cain long....

So now you go to your local Metal Store and buy the Metric Vertical Rods that the machine goes up and down on say in a 4 foot long version.... Drill and Tap the ends... Replace the 4 Vertical Smooth Rods on the machine that now lets you raise the head from 5 inches to say 36 inches..... Now picture Wood Glued Together Stock like a 14 inch slice of a Wine Barrel.... Flat not tapered.... But now you have a 3 foot in diameter piece of wood surface.... Think of the possibilities..... With a Jig made to fit a center supported barrel.... A Axillary BIT FLAG would be made to make the machine think it was still only 5 inches off the table....

Picture a Wagon Wheel insert to hold the glued up "Wine Barrel Like" wood blank.... That would fasten to the jig...

We even talked about different color Rack and Pinion Plastic Gears that would mesh with the Sand Paper Board screwed to the end of the stock. This would eliminate and slipping from the sand paper belts "IF" there could be.... So his board that is pushed along on top of the sand paper belts would have a pinion track and the color coded size of the wheels would tell you the exact board length.

But his design gives you a any number of sizes.....

The Tops of the 4 foot Vertical Rails could be tied together and additionally supported for the Heigth.... Think of the possibilities....

A Router Jig could be made to turn the glued together boards into a round just by hand turning the drum under a cutting bit....

We could make a Shop Jig, a Box Like Jig that you place your Square Stock in the Box and hand crank it in rotation... A Plunge Router on top moved along in length cutting the square into a round..... EASY...

And I am still not clear how Ed gets around the roller Switches and Board Sensor for measuring the board.... I think he mentioned using manual switches...

AL

lynnfrwd
09-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm finding clear plastic rolling pins for texturing cookies, pastries (like decorative pie crusts), cake decorating - fondant, gum paste & marsapan. What about scrapbook stamping or faux painting on a wall? Inverted for one and not the other...

12" is more than enough for a pie crust or side of a cake...put the handles on the outside, not necessarily built in... 14" polycarbonate rod at 2" diameter cost about $30. It is an approved plastic by FDA, if I'm reading it correctly. Pictured is 16" x 1" diameter and cost $30. Price for 1" diameter drops to less than $10 per piece.

Diamonds, basket weave, fleur-de-lis, trellis, unlimited!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_images/26471_Z008HVJK_lattice_sm.jpg

liquidguitars
09-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Should be fun overall to make and looks like most simple 3D programs will work to preview the patterns so that's a big asset and building a bigger turntable wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ccrtObttM

DaveN
09-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Very cool jig Ed, nice work.

Can you say...Chess Set? hmmm...

I allways wanted to make a very large chess set, I have some 2"x2" Sapele and some Maple that would be perfect for that.

Kenm810
09-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Lynnfrwd,
How about an inverted Classic Pie Crust Weave for the Rolling Pin

mtylerfl
09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
EXCELLENT!!!

This seems an excellent product and I look forward to buying one-- (right after the STL importer) -- a couple of questions I'm sure others will want to hear about too
1. Does it work with sandpaper and/or the rubber belts?
2. Will it work with the QC/Carvetight/ROCK chuck on a machine? In other words, are there any limitations based on the type of chuck?
3. Has it been tried with any of the common Dust collection systems (ringneck, fletcher's DC, bergerund) in place?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing more about how this amazing contraption works!
Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

I can confirm Ed's jig works a treat with the QC and regular sandpaper belts...I'm carving his Lion Candlesticks MPC right now, using my original stock CompuCarve (all original equipment...with "old" Z-truck too!) . So, no matter what machine you have, apparently it makes no difference as far as Ed's jig functionality. The man's a genius!

EDIT: Perhaps I should also mention that I do not have dust collection set up on either of my machines - never have. However, Ed (and everyone else I know) highly recommends a safe and effective dust collection be used. I totally agree, but haven't followed that advice yet!

liquidguitars
09-24-2011, 05:27 PM
I totally agree, but haven't followed that advice yet!

Right and looking at Ringneck's DC I think it's way past time for one in my shop...

lynnfrwd
09-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Lynn,
How about an inverted Classic Pie Crust Weave for the Rolling Pin

Exactly, Ken!

fwharris
09-24-2011, 07:09 PM
EDIT: Perhaps I should also mention that I do not have dust collection set up on either of my machines - never have. However, Ed (and everyone else I know) highly recommends a safe and effective dust collection be used. I totally agree, but haven't followed that advice yet!

Right and looking at Ringneck's DC I think it's way past time for one in my shop...

Michael and Brandon,

Phone lines are open and operators are standing by!

liquidguitars
09-24-2011, 09:13 PM

YES!

mtylerfl
09-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Michael and Brandon,

I can't see the number buttons on my phone - too much dust in the air. :)

fwharris
09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
I can't see the number buttons on my phone - too much dust in the air. :)

All the more reason for getting one!!! ;) :roll:

mtylerfl
09-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I finished writing up the step-by-step instructions for Ed's Rotary Jig. He plans to include them with the current order shipments going out. (The jigs are going fast!!)

I've also Skyped a copy to Joe L. and Connie at CarveWright for their review too, and to see if they spot any changes/additions/typos that Ed and I may have missed. In the meantime, the current flavor of the instructions should make it easy for anyone to use and enjoy their new Rotary Jig!

edzbaker
09-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I am Amazed at how Good the Rotary Jig Operators Manual turned out. Thank You Michael Tyler for a PROFESSIONAL job on those instructions. The Documentation, and pictures add that Professional touch to this Carvewright Accessory.
Also, I want to thank everyone for their positive comments on the forum. The Carvewright family of carvers is absolutely "the Best".

Thanks again,,and Happy Carving !

Ed

Smoken D
09-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh Great! Now ya telling me I gotta read instructions!:roll:
THAT will be the test. HE HE says the guy with no brains.
Now I am only kidding. Has the UPS guy arrived with it yet??

mtylerfl
09-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I am Amazed at how Good the Rotary Jig Operators Manual turned out. Thank You Michael Tyler for a PROFESSIONAL job on those instructions. The Documentation, and pictures add that Professional touch to this Carvewright Accessory.
Also, I want to thank everyone for their positive comments on the forum. The Carvewright family of carvers is absolutely "the Best".

Thanks again,,and Happy Carving !

Ed

Hello Ed,

I appreciate your encouragement and kind words. As time goes on, we can pay some attention to the inevitable questions that will come from users. It may be wise to request a section on the forum for the Rotary Jig accessory (perhaps in the existing Machine section, or make Rotary Jig sub-category in a brand new section called "Accessories, Jigs, and Things"). That way, all questions/answers will be concentrated in ONE location to make it easier to keep track of for all.

At some point, we can tweak the instructions as necessary. Just holler when you think it's time to do so. It will be my pleasure to do any editing required. Also, thank YOU for inventing this fun device and for all your help answering my own questions regarding the jig!

earlyrider
09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
It would be great to be able to take an STL file of some asymmetric object that still fits within the 2X14 stock and cut it directly, or be able to unroll the object on an axis that could be moved where you want, as in a head sculpture, unlike the slicing and piecing required by using the STL importer. If possible, it would remove the distortion that was mentioned earlier by SteveEJ.
Ron

edzbaker
09-25-2011, 08:55 PM
earlyrider,, if you mean something like the LionheadCandlesticks that you see in the Rotary Jig Advertisment,., That started out as an STL that a friend of mine "un-wrapped". I know it can be done, but I haven't been able to do it yet. Take a look at the MPC. (attached) The Rotary Jig re-wraps it onto the carving stock. I'm sure that someone will be able to do this with more STL's . I bet LG can do it. . and Hopefully someone will post some of them..

Ed

liquidguitars
09-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Some how I have a feeling that MT has it all worked out... But just taking any old 3D model and unwraping it can be a little tricky without a UV plugin to guide it's path , I will do a little more testing on my side.

ibewiggin
09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Oooh, just had a light bulb go off! Can we come up with a way to use this with the probe? That would be insane.

Kenm810
09-26-2011, 08:17 AM
"Rotary Jig" -- I Have a Question,
How well does it handle multiple passes,
lets say of .125 or .250 for a Pattern with
carving and cutting depths or .5 or .75, -- just curious.

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Ken, I have never done "Cuting" passes on round stock. You would not be able to cut the stock in two (Or more) pieces with the Carvewright, as it must remain intact to rotate. As far as carving, it will allow carving to .750 but, keep in mind that you will be taking 2 X .750 from the stock leaving only .500 in the center. I wouldn't advise that either.
One way of looking at it is, if you take off .250 all the way around a 2" piece, it will only have 1.5 left. I hope I have answered your question...

Ed

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Oooh, just had a light bulb go off! Can we come up with a way to use this with the probe? That would be insane.

ibewiggin, It is "Possible" to use the scanning probe. You would have to mount the object to be scanned, between two pieces of stock that was 2" in diameter at the ends. It would have to be a total length of 14", and the scanned object could not be over 2" in diameter at any spot. But the answer to your question is, Yes, I have done that, and it was a pain in the Butt to do.

Ed

Pratyeka
09-26-2011, 09:37 AM
So in fact, the pattern has to be 6.28" X 14" to fit on a 2" dia X 14" piece, right?

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Kelly, Some compression happens when carving on round stock. Imagine a face being carved on a 2" round at .250 depth.. The outer surface is 2" but where the actual carving will lie is only going to be 1.5" when completed. The compression occurs due to the loss of .5" in the area being carved on. So, I compensate for the compression by using 6.728 for a circumfrence. The total length (on the round stock) is not changed. With the rotary Jig, you can only carve on the center 12 inches of the total 14". One inch on each end is used to maintain center, and rotation, of the stock.
But, All of the patterns that can be used on Flat stock can be used on round stock, with very little noticable compression, and even that is easy to compensate for.

Edit: You can S T R E T C H your pattern a little to compensate also.. The ammount of stretch to amke a perfect carving could be calculated. The percentage of surface being lost, depending on your depth of carve would be the ammount of stretch you would put on a pettern. By Stretch I mean making the pattern WIDER than normal.

Ed

rcdages
09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Hello Ed,

Great Jig, looking to get one.

Can we order the round stock to carve from you???

One other question I had you answered by stating that the patterns used on Flat stock can be used on round stock

SteveEJ
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Scanning a part would be fun. A jig within a jig! You must remember the maximum depth of the cut/scan would limit what could actually be scanned. It would eliminate the distortion though. This jig would be a good reason for LHR to relax the depth of cut just a little.. Maybe??

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Hello Ed,

Great Jig, looking to get one.

Can we order the round stock to carve from you???

One other question I had you answered by stating that the patterns used on Flat stock can be used on round stock

Robert; The Rotary Jig comes with two pieces of Birch or maple to get you started, and, I do have some stock. This is from an earlier post: "Two Inch Diameter stock can be purchased from several places: Bayerwood.com has Birch in 2" x 36" for just over $8 ea. Caseyswood.com has them for around $11. craftparts.com has maple, So there are several suppliers. And if you have (or know someone who has) a wood lathe, you can make the rounds.
I have about 100 2" X 36" mix of Cedar, Maple, and wild cherry, that are available. I am making some 14" stock from Black Walnut but those will not be ready for a few months.

If you take a look at my cane carving site, you can see (Click on the red tabs on the left of the page) many examples of Normal patterns being placed on canes I have made. Most of those patterns were shared here. Thanks to those who share !

Ed

Ed

Kenm810
09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Quote: -- "I have never done "Cuting" passes on round stock. You would not be able to cut the stock in two"

I may have not worded it properly,what I meant was using a .125 or larger Cutting/Straight bit to add straight
vertical walled vector cuts at different depths in multiple passes around or up and down items like chess pieces,
something such at a stone block pattern on a Chess Rook/Castle

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Ken, Sorry I misunderstood the question. I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine. I have done "Centerline Text" on round stock, and it came out perfectly. You know how Scrambled the machine seems to cut centerline, (cuting some here and then some there) and that didn't cause any problem, it rotated back and fourth until it was completed.

I should add: I do recomend that any carvings on Round stock be done at OPTIML setting. Taking too much off in one pass could force the round stock to slip and cause the bit to dig into the wood, resultng in a damaged bit.

ibewiggin
09-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Since I will hopefully have my machine working very soon. I see one of theses in my near future. It definitely needs its own category for patterns, trouble shooting, etc.

lynnfrwd
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
It may be wise to request a section on the forum for the Rotary Jig accessory (perhaps in the existing Machine section, or make Rotary Jig sub-category in a brand new section called "Accessories, Jigs, and Things"). That way, all questions/answers will be concentrated in ONE location to make it easier to keep track of for all.

I really, really wanted to call this section "Gettin Jiggy With the CW"!

Oh, well.

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
It's own category,,, ibewigin, Good Idea...Michael Tyler suggested it to me... and.. Connie is working on that today.. They say, Great minds think alike ! There is no shortage of great minds in the Carvewright family of woodworkers.

Thanks...

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I really, really wanted to call this section "Gettin Jiggy With the CW"!

Oh, well.

Connie,, Call it anything you want.. I like that ! ! !

liquidguitars
09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
So in fact, the pattern has to be 6.28" X 14" to fit on a 2" dia X 14" piece, right?

I did try 6.28" but it was a tad small in 3D, you can try 6.6" the MPC is 6.7"

lynnfrwd
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I actually added a couple of Categories -
Specialty Jigs & Carriers
Rotary Patterns
Bits & Bit Accessories
Added LRW Monthly Carving Contest under Projects Gallery
Moved Project of the Month and is now under Projects Gallery

liquidguitars
09-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I was tring my hand at the rook and came up with three in one based on the size of the board. You would have to cut them to size when finished, have no idea if it will turn but it's food for thought.

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 02:02 PM
LG, Michael was talking about Chess Sets and he said that he felt like "Three in one" would be practical. You are absolutely on the right track. And for us simpler minded folks, if you get a 36" piece of 2" stock from any of the suppliers, and take off Two pieces 14" long, you have enough (8") leftover to make Checkers, by simply sawing them and placing them in a sled to give them some character.
or, if you aren't in the mood for Checkers,, how about some wheels for the Grandsons wooden car....

liquidguitars
09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks, one of the odd things when working in 3D is to think inside the box as a rule it's always best to layout a bounding box the size of the thickness of the required size limits. in this case it would be .75" in zed.

Here is what the same thing looks like in Designer from my quick mockup.

bergerud
09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but this jig does not seem compatible with the board measurement operations. This leads me to think that the drag racing software must be required to use it. Is that the case, and if so, does the $120 include the drag racing unlock code?

lynnfrwd
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
It has nothing to do with the dragster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladjr
09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
I was talking with some other Carve Wroght members today and the question came up. Will you jig work with the probe to scan something

bergerud
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Is there any software which needs to be activated before the jig can be used?

(ladjr: it has been mentioned in this thread that the probe should work.)

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
The Rotary Jig works EXACTLY as a 4th AXIS. It rotates the wood as it is carved on. It uses the DESIGNER software that you use with flat carvings. It will use the same patterns you already have, but carve them on Round wood 2" in diameter. Take a minute and start at the beginning of this thread, and it will answer a lot of questions. Most people give shorter and shorter versions of the same answer when the question is repeated,, so your best explained answer is usually the first one. Not to cut them short, but it's just the way we all are.

Please take time to read all of this thread if you are still not understanding the process of the Rotary Jig.

Thanks to everyone...

Ed

edzbaker
09-26-2011, 09:07 PM
I know the forum has many many members, so, I probably need to mention that the $120. includes shipping to anywhere in the "Continental United States" But, I will NOT ship anywhere else due to shipping cost and customs issues.

Many Thanks...

Ed

bergerud
09-26-2011, 09:53 PM
I have read the whole thread. No where is there any explanation of how the machine makes it through the measurement process. Since your jig does not seem to provide a "board" to measure, I assumed that you must be bypassing the process like the drag racer jig does. I guess I am wrong. You must then have an ingenious "bait and switch" way to trick the machine and that is part of what you are selling. Ok. Too bad for us in Canada. We are used to that.

Pratyeka
09-27-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm really disappointed with the "won't ship outside the USA" attitude. What is the weight of the jig? I have ordered a whole kitchen set from the USA before and the shipping was less than $60.
Will you at least consider selling the plan so we can build one ourself?

edzbaker
09-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Kelly & bergerud, You have to understand that Shipping cost included in the purchase price is already running an average of $24.00 by UPS, which is my preferred method of freight. If I sold outside the Continental US, I would have to raise the price to compensate for the shipping costs. PLUS, I have no idea as to what kind of customs SNAFU we would run into. I am willing to try, but the cost will be PLUS shipping. If you are still interested, contact me in a PM.
It's NOT an attitude, it's a Cost-titude......

Thanks

Ed

Pratyeka
09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Under the free-trade rules, most made in the US stuff is easy thru the border.
Just tell me over-all dimension and weight and I can check the shipping cost with different carriers.

edzbaker
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Kelly, The Box is 24" X 24" X 5", Weight is 14lb total.

Ed

SteveEJ
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I have read the whole thread. No where is there any explanation of how the machine makes it through the measurement process. Since your jig does not seem to provide a "board" to measure, I assumed that you must be bypassing the process like the drag racer jig does. I guess I am wrong. You must then have an ingenious "bait and switch" way to trick the machine and that is part of what you are selling. Ok. Too bad for us in Canada. We are used to that.

I think I know how Ed did it but will not say it here as I am not fully sure. It takes a thorough knowledge of how the CW detects and measures things. Ed has studied it and figured it out. It looks like he is also willing to work with our northern neighbors as long as he doesn't have to absorb the additional cost. This sounds fair to me and would be a win-win for those in Canada too. I would fully understand limiting it to CW owners Canada and the USA only.

liquidguitars
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Remember the project size is only 6.7" that's not a very long run. A few years a go i made a jig called " stubby" for guitar headstocks at that time the firmware did not travel past the total measurement of the MPC. I seen some changes in the years how the firmware works so as long as it's the same it's not a big issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt7pwuwPsos

SteveEJ
09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
That would closely match the circumference (6.283185307179586) of a two inch diameter. If using the surface of a slightly larger or smaller diameter piece then obviously the size of the MPC would have to be changed accordingly. Also, since the bit is cutting at an angle, slight tweeks would be needed to eliminate any overlapping of the cut based on the cut depth, etc. Experimentation with the cuts would be needed before a final design can be reached. Depth of cut, cut angle of the bit, diameter/circumference, etc. are all in play. Fun stuff to think about.

edzbaker
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
LG and Steve, We are geting to "Rotary Jig Advanced" now.. But I have carved a spiral around my 2" stock in the past, when I was doing a lot of testing. I used a Designer board with the length Twice the diameter of my stock. I slanted my v-carve at an angle (Top corner to opposite bottom corner) on the designer board. When cut, it rotated the stock two revolutions, cuting a spiral from top to bottom.

I am sure there will be many ideas born from this jig. At least I hope so.

Ed

Correction: I typed "Diameter" and I meant Circumfrence.. Sorry for any confusion..

bergerud
09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I am sorry but I could not resist the puzzle. How does the rotary jig bypass board measurement? I get it now. It took me awile. Ingenious. My hat is off to you. Good luck with the sales. An idea like this deserves to make money.

I hope those members who buy this jig or figure it out can respect the value of the idea and not reveal it in a post.

liquidguitars
09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Steve,

His MPC is little longer than (6.283185307179586.) I did a 3D test and it came up short wrapping a 3D plane seemed like 6.6" got the object close but i need double check my origin locations could be a simple thing. I was thinking on the best way to un wrap a custom made object turning like your candle stick as I think it could be handled as one raster if we had the clearance and DOC. I try a few more things and if you have any 360 bumpmaps i love to take a look at them.

liquidguitars
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I am sorry but I could not resist the puzzle. How does the rotary jig bypass board measurement?

I use place on corner " I do not think i ever used center" but place on corner will measure the front of the sled and stop at total size of the MPC in this case 6.7" if he places the tail under the board sensor I do not see a issue but the front tail will need to be exact in relationship to the turn. just a guess.

I hope those members who buy this jig or figure it out can respect the value of the idea and not reveal it in a post.

The only way to help this would not to post questions about his sled I not seeing a use for me right now but I like the brainstorming.

fwharris
09-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Kelly & bergerud, You have to understand that Shipping cost included in the purchase price is already running an average of $24.00 by UPS, which is my preferred method of freight. If I sold outside the Continental US, I would have to raise the price to compensate for the shipping costs. PLUS, I have no idea as to what kind of customs SNAFU we would run into. I am willing to try, but the cost will be PLUS shipping. If you are still interested, contact me in a PM.
It's NOT an attitude, it's a Cost-titude......

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

What I've seen with shipping my insert to Canada was about $10.00 more. You do have to fill out the customs paperwork and if using your PayPal account with USPS priority the customs form is built into the shipping label process. You will need to get a customs form shipping envelope at the post office (free).

Digitalwoodshop
09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I have been shipping Post Office Flat Rate Boxes to my Canadian Buddy with Tags and boards and it works out GREAT.... He pays the quickest... I make up my invoice after I ship and turn it into a PDF and he pays via pay pal within a day. I add 6% for pay pal fees. So it works GREAT... I fill out the Custom Forum and away it goes... HE pays the duty on the other end. Just a thought...

AL

Pratyeka
09-28-2011, 06:29 AM
I checked on the USPS website and for the size and weight supplied it's about $45 for priority. Tax and duties are paid by the receiver.

Smoken D
09-28-2011, 08:04 AM
R they being mailed out yet?

edzbaker
09-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Smoken, Orders that were placed on Fri, Night through Monday morning, went out UPS Monday. Orders placed Monday Noon through Tuesday morning, went out UPS Yesterday.

PM me with your Carvewright Order # and I will reply with the UPS Tracking number.

Ed

Smoken D
09-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Ha! Now ya know me. The type that ask and of course when I got home today, the UPS guy drove up with it. Cannot get into it today but will ASAP. Thanks Ed:mrgreen:

skeeterman
09-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Ed, got mine today and am going over instructions now, one question, when going thru the machine function and loading bits, your instructions say load 1/8 " cutting. then 1/16 carving i understand all the machine and doing flat piece but why would you have the 1/8th cuttout on any design for the round piece
steve

kool69sporty
09-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Ed, I like this invention very much. Great tool for CarveWright users. Except I'm not satisfied enough. I've been wanting to make some wooden pens by making them in halfves and using confroming centerline for the personal touch; but a mod for your Rotary Jig would eliminate doing in halves and offer amazin' opportunities for pens, like nothing a lathe could ever do. I see a mini-industry around the Rotary Jig and CarveWright for pen making. FWIW, Joe

mtylerfl
09-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Ed, got mine today and am going over instructions now, one question, when going thru the machine function and loading bits, your instructions say load 1/8 " cutting. then 1/16 carving i understand all the machine and doing flat piece but why would you have the 1/8th cuttout on any design for the round piece
steve

Steve,

That is my fault. I will edit the instructions....you are correct...that line of the instructions is a typo and does not belong there!! Just ignore that line. We all missed that when proof reading. I'm sorry for the confusion.

bergerud
09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I do not know about Pratyeka or others in Canada but I see no need to pay for shipping to Canada. Actually, since the jig is not hard to make, I do not understand why you did not choose to just sell plans and instructions. It is so much easier to sell software than to sell hardware. Or, why not offer both?

In my case, now that you have given me the idea, I do not really need anything else. I would rather experiment and build my own jig anyway. I am a wanna be inventor who wants to believe and support the notion that the idea is what is worth the money. I do not know how many others are like me, but, before I use your idea, I would like to pay you for it. How can I do that? I am in no hurry but maybe you can come up with price. For, example, maybe the profit you would make on a sale.

henry1
09-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I do not know about Pratyeka or others in Canada but I see no need to pay for shipping to Canada. Actually, since the jig is not hard to make, I do not understand why you did not choose to just sell plans and instructions. It is so much easier to sell software than to sell hardware. Or, why not offer both?

In my case, now that you have given me the idea, I do not really need anything else. I would rather experiment and build my own jig anyway. I am a wanna be inventor who wants to believe and support the notion that the idea is what is worth the money. I do not know how many others are like me, but, before I use your idea, I would like to pay you for it. How can I do that? I am in no hurry but maybe you can come up with price. For, example, maybe the profit you would make on a sale.
I am in Canada also and I am in for that also maybe we can get together on this hope to talk to you soon
Henry

edzbaker
09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I do understand you feelings about the extra shipping charges. And, (I don't have the name in mind now) Someone in Canada ask me to sell them the instructions to build one. I did agree, as long as they agree in writing to not sell or share the instructions. I only ask for an E-Mail from them saying they would not share the instructions, and agreeing that they would be for personal use only. I still have not got a response. Selling the Rotary Jig building instructions to Canadian Carvewright owners is something I am open to. But, I wouldn't do that for USA Owners, due to a contract with LHR Technoligies.
E-mail me from my carving site, and we can discuss that option.

Ed Baker

Ed

bergerud
09-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I do not want anything (else) from you. I just want to send you some money! Think of it as a contribution to your operation because I appreciate the ideas you have given me. If you post how much you think a fair contrbution would be, maybe some others would follow.

skeeterman
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Ed, what are your diameters of the canes you make, from top diameter to botom diameter?
have read all instructions and have come up with a design i want carved on it but its gonna be a week before i can get to try the Jig out.Dang thing called work is always screwing up my carving time.
steve

henry1
09-30-2011, 07:53 AM
I do understand you feelings about the extra shipping charges. And, (I don't have the name in mind now) Someone in Canada ask me to sell them the instructions to build one. I did agree, as long as they agree in writing to not sell or share the instructions. I only ask for an E-Mail from them saying they would not share the instructions, and agreeing that they would be for personal use only. I still have not got a response. Selling the Rotary Jig building instructions to Canadian Carvewright owners is something I am open to. But, I wouldn't do that for USA Owners, due to a contract with LHR Technoligies.
E-mail me from my carving site, and we can discuss that option.

Ed Baker

Ed
I sent you a private message>>> Ed Baker

edzbaker
09-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Ed, what are your diameters of the canes you make, from top diameter to botom diameter?
have read all instructions and have come up with a design i want carved on it but its gonna be a week before i can get to try the Jig out.Dang thing called work is always screwing up my carving time.
steve

Steve, I normally make my walking canes with a staff diameter of around 1 1/4 inch in diameter. When you carve the top 14" inch piece, you have to remove the part that wasn't carved, down to the size matching the carved part. In other words, make all 14 inches the same diameter, excluding the patterns you have raised above the staff.. (I hope that makes sense) Depending on how deep your carve region was set, determines "the diameter of what's left".
When it is all assembled, the whold staff is just tapered down to allow the rubber tip to fit the end. This weekend I plan on writing detailed instructions, with pictures, on "Cane Making with the Rotary Jig." I will e-mail that to anyone who has purchased a jig, and wants to make a cane or canes. Hopefully that will make the process easy to understand.

thanks
Ed

fwharris
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Steve, I normally make my walking canes with a staff diameter of around 1 1/4 inch in diameter. When you carve the top 14" inch piece, you have to remove the part that wasn't carved, down to the size matching the carved part. In other words, make all 14 inches the same diameter, excluding the patterns you have raised above the staff.. (I hope that makes sense) Depending on how deep your carve region was set, determines "the diameter of what's left".
When it is all assembled, the whold staff is just tapered down to allow the rubber tip to fit the end. This weekend I plan on writing detailed instructions, with pictures, on "Cane Making with the Rotary Jig." I will e-mail that to anyone who has purchased a jig, and wants to make a cane or canes. Hopefully that will make the process easy to understand.

thanks
Ed

Ed,

Add me to that list! Info from that would probably be great for other applications as well.

edzbaker
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Will do Floyd.

Thanks

Ed

skeeterman
09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks Ed. looking forward to it
steve

James RS
09-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Ed,
I've been reading the posts on both threads and I tell you what as soon as I get a couple things squared away I'm ordering one.
My mind is running wild with ideas, what a great idea you've put into reality I thank you and all the CW owners for sharing.

Jim8)

thanks
Ed

edzbaker
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Thank you Jim, I appreciate the kind words and comments...

Ed

edzbaker
09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
I have been talking to Mike Bayer at www.bayerwood.com (http://www.bayerwood.com) (e-mail woody5139@cs.com) and he has agreed to sell 2" X 14" Birch, pre-drilled, ready for carving in the Rotary Jig. Bayerwood has the best pricing of anyone that I found, and now they are willing and ready to serve carvewright owners. I am in no way affiliated with bayerwood. I just like those folks, and their willingness to serve their customers. Also, it doesn't hurt that their prices are the best to be found.

Ed

b.sumner47
09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Ed, Thanks for that info, sounds great. Capt Barry

fwharris
09-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I have been talking to Mike Bayer at www.bayerwood.com (http://www.bayerwood.com) (e-mail woody5139@cs.com) and he has agreed to sell 2" X 14" Birch, pre-drilled, ready for carving in the Rotary Jig. Bayerwood has the best pricing of anyone that I found, and now they are willing and ready to serve carvewright owners. I am in no way affiliated with bayerwood. I just like those folks, and their willingness to serve their customers. Also, it doesn't hurt that their prices are the best to be found.

Ed

Ed,

Did Mike say that they will be listed on the site or do we need to email him to order??

Thanks for the info.. Have not done any comparisons yet but their other items seem to be very well priced!

edzbaker
10-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Floyd, Mike told me the 2" X 14" pre-drilled would be about $4.78 each with about 55 cents each for shipping. I think anyone would have to contact him to place an order right now. He said it takes a while for them to update their website. I placed an order for 2" X 36" birch and they were $8.70 each, but he said they were having a price increase real soon.

Ed

andes
10-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Ed I would like to get about 12 of them.

fwharris
10-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Well I have made about 4 attempts to carve my beer tap handle.

First try AL went well through the set up stage. Loaded the top part of the jig and as the carve started the round stock began to turn as the bit moved the length of the stock. At the end of the second pass the bit stayed on the far end (bit plate side) still carving and the machine started moving the board through the machine until the board came completely out from under the rollers. Carve aborted! Did notice a bit of a smokey wood smell during the carve. Removed bit and I could see the signs of it being a bit hot. Have been using this one for a while so probably a bit dull. Time to change to a new one...

Next attempt close to the same as the first except the bit raised up as the board moved out of the machine. With the new bit the stock rotation was minimal. Aborted!

Next couple of attempts I kept getting the FATAL ERROR 2 when I pressed the stop button to install the jig top. Last attempt I just raised the cover instead of using the stop button and made it past the fatal error but as soon as I pressed enter fatal error came back up.

Doing a reformat of the card, reinstall firm ware and reloaded project.

This is the mpc of the carve...

mtylerfl
10-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi Floyd,

I don't know what's causing your carve problem, but I did notice a mistake on your layout. Remember the "mirror" effect of anything with text or numbers must be flipped horizontally so that the resulting carve will read correctly. In other words, you WANT your layout to have the words reading backwards, as viewed in Designer...when carved, the words will come out right.

The only other thing...the dog brewing pattern is a very shallow carve with tiny letters to begin with. I'm not sure if it will come out well-defined anyway simply due to the nature of the pattern.

fwharris
10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi Floyd,

I don't know what's causing your carve problem, but I did notice a mistake on your layout. Remember the "mirror" effect of anything with text or numbers must be flipped horizontally so that the resulting carve will read correctly. In other words, you WANT your layout to have the words reading backwards, as viewed in Designer...when carved, the words will come out right.

The only other thing...the dog brewing pattern is a very shallow carve with tiny letters to begin with. I'm not sure if it will come out well-defined anyway simply due to the nature of the pattern.

Michael,

The problems has me baffled to.. still getting same error when pressing stop. Next attempt by raising cover did not get the error until I hit start.

On the mirror statement! I thought that applied when you were doing a double carve ( 2 cavings of same item on one piece flipped end to end) as in the candle stick holders. This is not my case as I have the pattern copied to be on the other side of the piece not the other end...

Might be correct on my pattern depth. I do have the pattern inverted because I thought I might get some chipping on the letters if it was not inverted. This was just going to be a test of the jig to begin with.

edzbaker
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Floyd, It may be that the bit is diging into the dowel and causing a slip. I had that on one of my machines when I tried to do some vector carves. I stoped the slip by wraping a rubberband tightly around the dowel on both ends, then puting it back in. I later found that my head pressure was low on that machine. Give the rubber bands a try. As far as the fatal error, the only time I got that was when I pressed stop too soon after the bit spins up. Let it start moving toward the flat before hiting stop. If that fails to fix the fatal error, do you have firmware 1.176 I never ever got the fatal error with that one.

edzbaker
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Also,, Did you set the carve quality to Optimal ?? That helps slow down the feed rate.. But I imagine you did that .

Ed

SteveJ
10-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a part that looks like Floyd's. I have a version C machine and the bolts on the locator plates keep the jig from setting flat. I chiseled out some clearance to allow the jig to rest flat on the plates and restarted the carve. I will see how that helps. I noticed I could rotate the blank by hand so it must have been slipping in cut. After the modification, I could not rotate the blank by hand when clamped. Hope it makes sense and it can help!

I am now 12% into the carve and it seems to be working. In 2 1/2 hrs I hope to have a good one.

edzbaker
10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Steve now that makes sense. you should not be able to turn the dowel when the head is cranked down. If there is a bolt or screw holding the sides up, that would not allow compression of the carving stock. Dang it.. that bothers me..
I will make it right.. e-mail me and just let me know what I need to do.

Ed

fwharris
10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Ed, Steve,,,,

That is one thing I did notice that the top did not sit flat on the two rails. Especially on the key board side. Two screw heads sit above the plate.

And yes I bet I did hit the stop to fast. Optimal setting was used as per instructions. I did find a broken gear on the Y belt tension adjust plate. Got that changed out. Was going to set up a regular test carve to figure out the fatal error, but with the info about stopping to fast I will give it another try after I get a bite to eat.. Going to make this work guys!!!!

Thanks!!!

edzbaker
10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I sent this in an E-mail to everyone who has a Rotary Jig, but some of the messages were not deliverable.. so I will post it here also.

It has been found that on some models of the carvewright machine, the Rotary jig is not compressing the round stock as it should. This is caused by some models having screws that protrude higher than other models in the area where the jig sits. With your machine turned OFF, with a 2" piece installed in the jig, put both pieces of the rotary Jig in the machine. Crank the head down as low as it will go (Until you hear clicking in the crank). Reach in and see if the round wood can be turned by hand. If so, look under the Rotary jig "Side Rails" and see where the screw heads are not allowing the jig to go all whe way down on the guide plates.
Remove the Jig top piece, and with a drill or something to grind with you can remove just enough wood from the side rails to allow it to set down. You can probably see indentions where the screws were.
Once this is fixed, test the round piece by hand to see if it is now tight when the head is cranked down.

I appoligize for any inconvienence... Contact me if you need assistance,,, .

Ed Baker .

henry1
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I sent this in an E-mail to everyone who has a Rotary Jig, but some of the messages were not deliverable.. so I will post it here also.

It has been found that on some models of the carvewright machine, the Rotary jig is not compressing the round stock as it should. This is caused by some models having screws that protrude higher than other models in the area where the jig sits. With your machine turned OFF, with a 2" piece installed in the jig, put both pieces of the rotary Jig in the machine. Crank the head down as low as it will go (Until you hear clicking in the crank). Reach in and see if the round wood can be turned by hand. If so, look under the Rotary jig "Side Rails" and see where the screw heads are not allowing the jig to go all whe way down on the guide plates.
Remove the Jig top piece, and with a drill or something to grind with you can remove just enough wood from the side rails to allow it to set down. You can probably see indentions where the screws were.
Once this is fixed, test the round piece by hand to see if it is now tight when the head is cranked down.

I appoligize for any inconvienence... Contact me if you need assistance,,, .

Ed Baker .

Thank you for the info ,,did you get my private message still waiting

fwharris
10-01-2011, 06:30 PM
SUCCESS!!!

Rolled back the firmware and we are carving in the round! 1.179 must be very touchy about that stop button prior to and carving. Before rolling back I waited until the bit was right at the board before stopping and got the fatal error still. Got the firmware loaded on desk top for future round carving!

Ed, Thanks for staying with me on this and pointing me in the right direction..

List starts.. new (2) y tension gear, carving bits..... ROUND STOCK!!!

LittleRedWoodshop
10-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there is a fix for the FATAL ERROR issue ... it will be released with the next software update - hopefully this week. The rest of it I have no idea.

fwharris
10-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there is a fix for the FATAL ERROR issue ... it will be released with the next software update - hopefully this week. The just of it I have no idea.

Lets hope so!!! Until then got my fall back!

mtylerfl
10-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Floyd,

When I did my own rotary carve for Ed's instructions/photos, I used 1.179 firmware with no problems. I wasn't aware that folks were having a fatal error issue...I certainly have not. Maybe some machines are more sensitive?? Anyway, I am super glad you got through the carve alright!

fwharris
10-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Carve is completed and the best part is I did not loose the round I started out with. Felt just like I did when I first got my machine!

And yes Michael (and for others as well) you do have to flip you image/text to the reverse to get the text to read out correctly!
Re read the instructions! :roll: Not so noticeable in my case as the pattern was set at a low height setting.

I did do as Ed suggested and notched out the areas of the side rails that was over the screw heads on the guide rails. Mine is a A series CompuCarve. I believe the screws on the fixed plate are the ones for the tracking roller.

Not sure what is up with those fatal errors! Just glad rolling back the firmware save my ......

What a good day even if it took 12 hours for a 3 hour 20 minute carve, had to pull out the back up carving bit and found a broken gear on the Y tension bracket!

Thanks Ed!

b.sumner47
10-01-2011, 10:36 PM
That's not bad ,not bad at all. Nice Work. Capt Barry

easybuilt
10-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Very nice carve Floyd! Sounds like it has a learning curve and then it works great. I think I got to have one of these.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes you would have to reverse the design ... with the "moving" portion of the jig functioning as it does ... isn't the jig actually cutting the reverse of the pattern??

fwharris
10-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes you would have to reverse the design ... with the "moving" portion of the jig functioning as it does ... isn't the jig actually cutting the reverse of the pattern??

Exactly! One of those DUH! moments! Michael even pointed it out to me but I was to involved with the situation at hand and thought I had understood what Ed had in his instructions.

Barry and Tom,

Thanks! And yes a great leaning curve it was!

rcdages
10-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Great Job Floyd,

So for the learning curve call Floyed, I will do that.

Your correct Tom, you need to get one and so do I.

easybuilt
10-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Robert, I have always wanted to make canes. Great way to start!

edzbaker
10-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I finally have completed the Detailed Instructions on "Making a Walking Cane, using the Rotary Jig for Carvewright"
It is noted on my site that you "Need" a wood lathe to make canes. ( I own a cheap one, and it works good for this )
If you have purchased the Jig, and want to make canes, E-mail me with your order number and I will send the link to you.

These instructions and the Rotary Jig operators instructions are considered to be part of the Jig, and as such, are for Rotary Jig Owners.

Diwnload is a Zipped .PDF file of just over 3 meg. (6 pages)

Thank you all, Very much.. ! ! !

Ed baker

easybuilt
10-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks Ed, That will make it much easier. I will let you know.

James RS
10-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Ok who's done some carving on the rotary jig? I want to see some pics!:D

fwharris
10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok who's done some carving on the rotary jig? I want to see some pics!:D

Just in case you missed it! Thought we would be seeing a few more!

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19144-The-cat-is-out-of-the-bag..-Round-Carvings-are-possible-with-the-Carvewright.&p=162940#post162940

skeeterman
10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
floyed , I will be waiting for the update before i try my Jig, as i have always updated to the new updates and dont save the previos versions. sorry you had to go thru the problems but you have helped others before they get the problems.
(ok LHR when is update comming out?)
steve

skeeterman
10-03-2011, 12:29 PM
sorry Floyd, Typo on your name.
steve

lynnfrwd
10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
floyed , I will be waiting for the update before i try my Jig, as i have always updated to the new updates and dont save the previos versions. sorry you had to go thru the problems but you have helped others before they get the problems.
(ok LHR when is update comming out?)
steve

They will finish the update and get out later this week. It got put behind the licensing issue we discovered with the POM this weekend.

rcdages
10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Ed,

As soon as the all clear is noted from Connie I am going to place my order.

Looking forward as Tom is to making canes.

I'll be in touch after I get my order in and my order number.

fwharris
10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
sorry Floyd, Typo on your name.
steve

No problem Steve! Been called/spelled a lot worse!!

ibewiggin
10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
It is sad that I have the lathe, but can't afford the jig yet. Go figure. Atleast when I do get the jig I will have another reason to use the lathe.

Kenm810
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote: "It is sad that I have the lathe, but can't afford the jig yet, Go figure."

Same here, I've turned several nice Canes and Walking Sticks with my Lathe,
But it doesn't do Ptn Patterns or Centerline Text worth a Hoot!!

edzbaker
10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
A quick FYI,
I have tried the Rotary Jig in all five of my machines now. (in the past I had always used it in only one) My "B" machine gave me a Fatal Error 3 out of 6 tries. The other four "A" machines didnt. I think Floyd said he had an "A" machine that did error. So, I don't know why the error is only in some machines,,and not others. I did a test with the "B" machine with firmware 1.176 and it doesn't error.

Floyd.. Steve stuck an ed on the end of your name.. now he can stick a floy on mine.. I don't mind at all. Take care ..

Thanks

Ed

fwharris
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't care what they call me just so it is not to late for supper or beer:30!

Thanks for doing the test on your machines (5 wow!). My A machine I think was right at the transition to the B series machines. I believe that is what one of the techs told me when I asked about it way back when. Guess it is one of those "some do and some don't" type of issues. I do have the roll back firmware so not a big issue for me now. It does sound like the LHR folks have a fix coming maybe later this week.

edzbaker
10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
"5 machines" Well I started out with one, then bought one for parts, and I fixed it, and then bought another for Parts and I fixed it, and so on. Now I have 5 and still don't have a parts machine. I may have to sacrifice one someday, but until then they sound good singing together...

Later

Ed

My wife says they sound like a "Nest of Bumble Bees" ha...

Digitalwoodshop
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
We should coin a new word to = a Heard of CW's... Something new.... not the same old Gaggle.....

Over 150 posts.... WOW... This this sure did shake up the CW World.....

ibewiggin... Use your Lathe now to start making blanks for Christmas.... Then when you get your Jig you will spend more time carving....

Here is an idea from AL that might make some quick CASH to buy the Jig....

Boo Season is upon us..... (The play on Flu Season...)....

Getting some Foam Board from The Home Depot and making Scary Tomb Stones and paint them is black and grays and attach wood stakes to press into the ground would be a BIG HIT.... Cheap and EASY to make with the CW....

OR do them in WOOD..... I even saw some Boo Patterns in the Pattern Thread... The Witch on a Broom... I carved it in WOOD... Use the machine to make money to buy the toys...

As for pricng.... Try for 4 or 5 Times the materials...

I don't think I ever have seen a front view of a Human Skull here.... But a foam human skull carved out and painted and 2 flashlight bulbs glued in the eyes and a length of Radio Shack Wire to a flash light battery holder operated by the kids from inside the house sitting on the front lawn would be a BIG HIT.... And a chance for some Dad Son/Daughter Bonding time... A Simple light bulb and Battery setup.... Radio Shack even has just the battery holders..... Add a Switch and a 2nd set of bulbs that sit in the grass in front of the skull that with a 2 position switch... Light the front lights then with a flip of the switch the lights go out and the eyes light up.... Scarry... Boooooooo..... The Meds kicked in.... LOL.... Just kidding..

Scanning a plastic mask skull would be a chance to play with the probe...

I have a pay full wing Bat Pattern too.... Doing that in FOAM and painting black with LED Light Eyes....

A flower pot next to the sidewalk full of leaves and a Radio Shack battery operated motor and light bulb with something attached to the shaft to shake the leaves in the pot.... Kids will love it.... Hook up the video camera to a TV and watch the fun... Lots of ideas...

AL

ibewiggin
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
If I had a group of 5 machines I would have to call it a fluster of CWs. Or a frustration of CWs.

chebytrk
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
A "wonderment" (new word?) of CWs. It's a WONDER how in the heck you wound up with so many when you only MEANT to get one!

fwharris
10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Here are the pictures of the beer tap handle. Wood was birch, cherry stain and clear coat.. Not bad for first carve

James RS
10-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Nice Job! I want to get the jig, question once you got past your difficulties was it easy to use and layout?

Jim

SteveJ
10-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Great job on the beer tap! Bet you can't wait to try it out..... I am having trouble deciding what to make next. The lion heads came out pretty good, but I am going to add a side draft to the top jig to help pull out chips that ended up between my blank and the sandpaper. There was a slight mismatch from the start to the finish of the carve when the chips raised the part slightly. Glad it is in the back! I really like this jig and now I need to dig out my lathe!

fwharris
10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Nice Job! I want to get the jig, question once you got past your difficulties was it easy to use and layout?

Jim

James,

Yes it was easy to use and lay out. Ed did a great job on the jig instructions. Easy to read and follow. That and with the other tips he has posted here made things very simple. Example is how the carving depth relates to the diameter/circumference of your final carve..

Save your nickles and dimes.. well worth the investment!

fwharris
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Great job on the beer tap! Bet you can't wait to try it out..... I am having trouble deciding what to make next. The lion heads came out pretty good, but I am going to add a side draft to the top jig to help pull out chips that ended up between my blank and the sandpaper. There was a slight mismatch from the start to the finish of the carve when the chips raised the part slightly. Glad it is in the back! I really like this jig and now I need to dig out my lathe!

Steve,

Do not have a keg to tap but I was promised an invite to my friends official tasting when the brew is ready. Of course it will be out of bottles tho!

I noticed the same thing on the chips. My insert was about 50% (WAG) on the removal but with the out feed being open I did allow me to suck them out while carving. Not having a flat surface of the board did allow the chips to get blown to the back side from the exhaust port of the cut motor. Was contemplating trying to redirect the air flow to see it would help or not.

I did send an email to Mike about getting the 2" dowels. They will be getting 500 birch dowels pre drilled in early next week. Cost will be $5.33 each plus shipping.

lawrence
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
very nice beer tap indeed-- I see great advances in the types of things we come up with using this jig

Lawrence

edzbaker
10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Floyd, that tap handle looks Really Good ! I am glad that everyone is having so much fun.. It's got me excited and wanting to see more pictures. As soon as I have a little time, I will get a friend of mine to Unwrap a few more .STL's and see how they look. If they are any good, I will definately share them with everyone.

A BIG Thanks to everyone...

Ed

rcdages
10-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Looks great FW

edzbaker
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
I was awake last night at 3:00 and thinking about the DC and rotary jig. I don't have time to test this today, but I think if you cut a piece of cardboard (To do the test) that fit tightly in the "Back Half" of the jig, about 14 by 16". Then put it inside the side rails close to the top, and close to the round stock. It might block those chips from falling on the flat panel at the back, and give the DC some help in removing them. Or at least they wouldn't fall on the back half of the flat panel. ?? The back half is the part that needs to stay clean while carving.

Ideas ?

Ed

easybuilt
10-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Beautiful job on the handle Floyd! Thanks for sharing.

fwharris
10-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the compliments! Yes possibilities are wide open now. Talking with my nephew last night about bird hunting and got on the topic of duck calls.
Ding, light bulb got turned on!

Ed, Are you having "jig insomnia" LOL! You idea is worth a try at least.

dcalvin4
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Rockler has these http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=25155&max=999 pizza cutters on sale just waiting for us to make handles
.....CAN BE DONE JUST ON TIME FOR CHRISTMASS PRESANTS
denny

skeeterman
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
yeah Floyd, i sent myterfly a duck call about 2 years ago to see what could be done as far as making one, and now it is almost a reality
Duck hunters will spend some money on some calls
steve

fwharris
10-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Denny,

Cool idea!

Steve,

Yes! For the guy who lives very close to the DUCK CAPITAL! I think a call could be scanned to make a pattern very easliy. Not sure how the birch would do but well worth a try!

LittleRedWoodshop
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Rockler also sells garden shovel kits and I think I saw salt and pepper shaker kits too.

edzbaker
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Fantastic Idea, Personalized Custom Carved Salt and Pepper shakers sitting on the Thanksgiving table.

Thanks May the Ideas keep on coming.....

Ed

Kenm810
10-05-2011, 09:18 PM
You can get the Duck Call inserts from Rockler as well as several sites posted on the web,
I turned a few on my lathe for friends and myself -- I'm sure you could carve great personalizes
Game Calls with the Rotary Jig. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21635&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CJzQg9r80qsCFc_AKgod2C5WYw

fwharris
10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
You can get the Duck Call inserts from Rockler as well as several sites posted on the web,
I turned a few on my lathe for friends and myself -- I'm sure you could carve great personalizes
Game Calls with the Rotary Jig. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21635&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CJzQg9r80qsCFc_AKgod2C5WYw

Ken,

Thanks for the link!!

LittleRedWoodshop
10-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Link to the Salt and Pepper shaker hardware http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17408&filter=salt%20and%20pepper

Kenm810
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I've seen several Duck and Game Calls carved and finished in Exotic Woods,
selling on Amazon and other sites for $9.95 up to $125.00 and more.
Even a few personalized Limited Addition Duck Calls in a leather pouch for $298.00 ea. Plus Shipping

Ps. so be sure to remember "Aim High" :wink:

fwharris
10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I've seen several Duck and Game Calls carved and finished in Exotic Woods,
selling on Amazon and other sites for $9.95 up to $125.00 and more.
Even a few personalized Limited Addition Duck Calls in a leather pouch for $298.00 ea. Plus Shipping

Ps. so be sure to remember "Aim High" :wink:

Did you notice the name! Orvis! Paying more for the name than the actuall product!

Kenm810
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes I did, --- but I can put mine in a $2.98 Leather bag and sell them for $39.95 to $59.95 and make Money too "lol" -- :razz:

fwharris
10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Second carve with Ed's jig done today. WAY SMOOTHER THAT THE FIRST!

Updated designer to latest version and did not get the fatal error when pausing the start of the carve to insert the top of the jig. Also did not get the prompt to input board thickness.

I added the cardboard piece as Ed suggested to for better dust collection and it does improve it a bunch. Very little chips made it to the back side of the dowel.

This was basically the same design as the first. I did not invert the pattern this time and flipped it the correct way for readable text. Carved it at a 0.400 depth instead of 0.600 to get a fatter handle.

dbfletcher
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Great job! Man that looks nice. I have to save my pennies for a while cuz I just plunked down a wad-o-cash to get a 40watt laser cutter/engraver. But I sure cant wait to get a rotary jig when i do have the funds.

fwharris
10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Doug,

Thanks! Yes, start that ED JIG FUND! Wow, new laser! Using it along with the CW??

dbfletcher
10-06-2011, 08:37 PM
That is the plan. But truth be told... it is just another toy for me. I just make gifts for friends and family, but I sure do have fun playing. My greatest fear is if I ever start treating my hobbies as a business.... it ends up spoiling the "fun" factor.

edzbaker
10-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Floyd, that Beer Tap Handle looks soooo good. Let us see it when you add the finish.
Of all the Duck and game calls I have been able to find, I haven't seen one with a Duck or Deer carved on them, or even an option to have them personalized. I may have to make a duck call, and deer grunt just to play with. Along with the turkey calls I have made, I bet my wife would love to hear me playing with all of them... Ha....

Ed Baker

Smoken D
10-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I was getting the same fatal error on my first try. Downloaded the update last night and will give it another try this weekend. At least I got to see where the cardboard goes. Had a different idea and was not certain. Wish me luck this weekend!

SteveEJ
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
My order is in.. I have some unique ideas floating around..

skeeterman
10-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Floyd, how did you get the tapered carve region
steve

Icutone2
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Got it on order thanks, the ideas are flowing now!
Lee

edzbaker
10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
If you are adding the cardboard to help in Dust removal, Put it Between the side rails, and remember to NOT put it on top of the side rails.
The Compression rollers sit there,, and puting anything between the side rails and the compression rollers changes the position of the piece being carved, in relation to the Carving bit. Just a quick FYI, in case you haven't thought of it already.

Thanks

Ed

fwharris
10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Floyd, that Beer Tap Handle looks soooo good. Let us see it when you add the finish.
Of all the Duck and game calls I have been able to find, I haven't seen one with a Duck or Deer carved on them, or even an option to have them personalized. I may have to make a duck call, and deer grunt just to play with. Along with the turkey calls I have made, I bet my wife would love to hear me playing with all of them... Ha....

Ed Baker

Thanks Ed and you know I will be posting the finished product! Thats my thought as well for the game calls, add that extra feature to them.

I bet your will get that "TAKE IT OUTSIDE ED!" look from the wife!

fwharris
10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Floyd, how did you get the tapered carve region
steve

Steve,

The tapered carve region is done by applying a "surface" to the region. I mine it was the "bottom dome".

Attached is one to look at..

Kenm810
10-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Ed - Floyd,

How about Carving a couple of calls at a time

CarverJerry
10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't have one of these jigs yet but after looking at some of the pictures on the forum, I have a question....how can the machine measure the dowel when the pattern is actually wider than the dowel? Did I ask this right, lol?

CJ

Smoken D
10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
CarverJerry;
In my terms you are basically fooling the machine! It measures the bottom part of the jig (comes in two pieces). When ready to carve you stop the machine, raise the head, insert top portion of jig which has the two inch round stock, crank down head, and push the enter button ta start. And away ya go, or at least ya hope:roll:

Digitalwoodshop
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Think of it as a wooden rolling pin laying between the belts and turning.... The Board Length is the Diameter of the wooding rolling pin and the width is the length of the rolling pin....

If it helps wrap a sheet of paper around a 2 inch pipe and cut it to diameter to visualize this process. A rolled up board.... Getting the exact board length is important so you don't cut a second time and destroy the first cuts....

AL

AskBud
10-07-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't have one of these jigs yet but after looking at some of the pictures on the forum, I have a question....how can the machine measure the dowel when the pattern is actually wider than the dowel? Did I ask this right, lol?

CJI don't have one yet, either!
However, I can say "It's magic", "it's an Engineering marvel", "It's fabulous".
Obviously the jig does not move and avoids touching the traction belts, or brass wheel, with anything other than the specially designed parts that control the rotation of the stock. The bit is always centered at or near the apex of the piece. Even though I do not plan on carving much round stock, I may bite the bullet and pick one up.

I'm interested in how to best remove the dust. I have an idea the may give us the best solution, but need to see it in action before I design my idea.
AskBud

bergerud
10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Now the cat is really out of the bag! The stoke of genius in my book is the idea that the board you measure does not have to be the board you carve.

(This could have uses elsewhere. For example, if you want to carve on an object which, for one reason or other defies measurement, you may be able to without making a sled. Measure a similar size board and then switch. As long the object rolls ok in the machine and keeps contact with the brass roller, it will work.)

edzbaker
10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
AskBud, Thank you for the kind words. That meant a lot to me.

Al, Thanks much my friend...

Ed

fwharris
10-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Ed - Floyd,

How about Carving a couple of calls at a time

Ken,

Yes that would be the way to go in order to make good use of the dowel. Or carve both parts of the call at the same time. Hear ducky ducky!

jaustin
10-07-2011, 11:50 PM
is there a video of this in action?

edzbaker
10-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Jaustin, there is a short one. link is here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19173-Ed-s-Rotary-jig-VIDEO-on-you-tube.

CarverJerry
10-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the answers, I understand how the circumference works and changes by the depth of the carve, or at least I think I do. I just didn't know that you could raise the head, or interupt the measuring process of the CW and then continue. I think it's starting to sink in now. I know the 4 axis that I've used on other machining centers in machine shops were totally independently controlled from the other 3 axis. Such a great invention Ed......I sure hope you make money off this idea of yours.

CJ

edzbaker
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank You very Much CJ, Back a few years ago when I made my first rotary Jig, I had to install two external switches on the machine I used, to do round carvings. Removing a board KILLED the machine. The change in firmware allowing the head to be raised, lowered, and then continue was actually a change by the programmers to accept the Rotary Jig without adding external switches, or moodifications to the machine. Joe Lovchik had those changes made, just for the Rotary Jig. Which goes to prove that they (LHR) are Fantastic people to do business with !

Thanks

Ed Baker

LittleRedWoodshop
10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Joe is awesome ....

Smoken D
10-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Around the time Floyd was trying his first carve I was doing mine. Had the same results, looking at his photo I thought I was looking at my first try. Just wait, they will figure it out. So, I used the router and notched out a section where the bolts were on the sliding plate and for the other side. Then uploaded the new update and no error when cranking up the head. Also put on the cardboard to catch some of the shavings. Away we go and got the first round carve. When the carve was over boy there was sure a lot of shavings. Also checked the muffler and was clogged up. Make sure ya check on that. Have Floyd's DC and still a lot of shavings. I will be making a friend a cane, his name is Travis and put the cross with Jesus face below his name. Will send a photo when I get the cane finished. Sure gonna be a lot of fun and the guys will come up with a lot of projects. Great Jig and thank's to Floyd for figuren out how to get it going!

SteveJ
10-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Great job Smoken, looking good! Be Careful.. this stuff can be habit forming!

fwharris
10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
SmokenD,

Great start for your cane! Pictures look just about the same an mine after the carving. The cardboard did make a big difference from my first carve to help deflect the chips back up to the dust collector. I will take a look at my muffler set up to see what I have in that. As you see I've change it a bit also.

Now as far as me being the one to figure it out, It was only through the help of Ed and the rest of you guys!

mwhatch
10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I finally decided I had to have one.
I ordered it last night about 11pm. At 5am this morning I had a shipping #.
Now that is what I call SERVICE.

Thanks

edzbaker
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
For anyone that has a wood lathe, Woodworkerssource.com has 2 1/4" X 5 1/4" X 14" BLACK WALNUT blocks that will make TWO round pieces for the rotary Jig, ONLY $10. What a deal !
See them here: http://www.woodworkerssource.com/wal-514-p-garage_sale.html

Ed

mwhatch
10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
And that is why I just ordered a small lathe from Harbor Frieght. I know. I know. Harbor Frieght?. It is there 10x18", had a lot of good reviews and ony cost 151.00 after sale and discount coupons. My rotary jig is due today, the lathe on Monday. Time to get cutting. I am excited about all the possibilities. And the fire piston idea has just added fuel to the fire, so to speak.

cnsranch
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey, guys - just make sure you practice on a lot of scrap wood before you start turning the expensive stuff - making a dowel exactly 2" in diameter throughout its length isn't as easy as it sounds - that's why they get so much for them pre-turned (course, I'm old and shaky).

atauer
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Jerry,

I am young and have fairly steady hands, but I couldn't turn a dowel 2" in diameter throughout its length if my life depended on it.

cnsranch
10-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Reminds me.....

Little boy wakes up in the middle of the night, crying. His Mom comes into his room and asks him if he has to go potty.

He says, "Have Grandma take me - her hands shake".

Lord, I apologize.....

AskBud
10-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Jerry,

I am young and have fairly steady hands, but I couldn't turn a dowel 2" in diameter throughout its length if my life depended on it.Give yourself an edge!
Square up your tool rest, make a small area close to the depth you wish. Keep it a little fat. Now, using this area, place a "stop-block" on the shank of your gouge and work your way across the piece. Last, bring it down to size by adjusting the stop (remember the saying "The cut you choose, double you lose!")
AskBud

atauer
10-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh lord!!!!

Jerry that is wrong. I am glad that I swallowed that drink of water before refreshing this thread. Otherwise, I would be looking for another monitor.

atauer
10-13-2011, 04:00 PM
and Bud, the next time I turn something, I will keep that in mind and put it to use.

edzbaker
10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Morton, I use a cheap craftsman lathe. 12 X 36" But, I did some modifications (well maby more than "some") and now I just chuck up the square 36" long and hit a start button. It cuts it to 2" round, end to end and powers off. Then my shakey hands just chuck up another square.....

Ed

James RS
10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Morton, I use a cheap craftsman lathe. 12 X 36" But, I did some modifications (well maby more than "some") and now I just chuck up the square 36" long and hit a start button. It cuts it to 2" round, end to end and powers off. Then my shakey hands just chuck up another square.....

Ed

Ed I have a Crftsman also that I need to setup, what mods did you do if you don't mind sharing.
Maybe some pics also?

Thanks,
Jim

mwhatch
10-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Ed,

I just sent you a PM

SteveJ
10-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I have been experimenting. Thought I would try to apply a little inlay to the dowel before carving. So many possibilities, so I started off simple.

mwhatch
10-13-2011, 06:05 PM
HELP! I did not get any instructions with my rotary jig.

Smoken D
10-13-2011, 06:49 PM
I think if you go through this thread from the beginning Ed has the instructions listed somewhere. Or at least I think I remember seeing them in there.

AskBud
10-13-2011, 07:05 PM
HELP! I did not get any instructions with my rotary jig.I sent Ed a private message, for you. He should be in touch soon. However, you could go here and contact him direct. http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/newsletter/thirparty/thirdparty.htm
He will need your order number as confirmation.

Note:The instructions are for owners of the Rotary Jig only, so you will not find them on the web.
AskBud

edzbaker
10-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Morton, I am sorry for the inconvienience, Your instructions have been sent via e-mail

Ed

edzbaker
10-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Jim, I don't mind sharing what I did to my lathe. I will get some pictures and try to explain the mod a little. Hopefully this weekend.

Steve, I like that idea. I have wanted to stack and glue, pieces of different woods (colors) on an angle, a cut a dowel from them.. If that makes sense. I just haven't found the time to do that yet.

Ed

PCW
10-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I think what you folks are doing with the rotary jig is great. What would be a good addition to the designer software would be a option to create a rounding toolpath. You could make a dowel with the Carvewright using the jig.

If anyone is interest here is a brief tutorial at Vertrics software (http://www.222artisans.com/Rotary/RotaryYaxis.html)that explains the process.

lawrence
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
a while back I was making some EXACT sized dowels for some wooden screws and made this carrier for my trim router. It worked like a charm, though it felt like cheating. You use it with the lathe turned off to begin with (and the router on) and then when you get close to the exact size you turn on the lathe and router and it leaves a very clean surface. I'll have to make a slightly bigger one to cut 14 inch long pieces (I designed this one for 12 inch dowels) but the concept is the same.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/P10903411024x768.jpg
Hope this helps,
Lawrence

AskBud
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
a while back I was making some EXACT sized dowels for some wooden screws and made this carrier for my trim router. It worked like a charm, though it felt like cheating. You use it with the lathe turned off to begin with (and the router on) and then when you get close to the exact size you turn on the lathe and router and it leaves a very clean surface. I'll have to make a slightly bigger one to cut 14 inch long pieces (I designed this one for 12 inch dowels) but the concept is the same.
Hope this helps,
LawrenceI'll bet the some will beat a path to your door, for those basic plans!
AskBud

mwhatch
10-14-2011, 01:01 AM
This is truely a remarkable device, and yet so simple. You just can't really appreciate what it does until you are watching it work.
There is so much potential here that it is almost overwhelming. At least for me anyway.

Here is my first carve using a chinese dragon model.

SteveJ
10-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Great job Morton. That is an AWESOME FIRST CARVE!

dbfletcher
10-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Wow Morton! That is incredible! I definitely want to add this to my toolbox someday.

edzbaker
10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Morton, That is a beautiful carve ! Thank You for sharing the pictures.

Lawrence, Your lathe setup puts mine to shame. I made a frame over my lathe from 1" pipe, Added a cuting head to that, which will slide from end to end (on the 1" pipe) of the 36" bed. The cuting head is height adjustable, and is pulled from one end to the other by a chain running on a reduction gear. The cuting head is actually a motor assy from an old cheap (General machinery) table saw.
Compaired to your's "Mine is UGLY" but it works, and was made from junk I had lieing around the shop.

Ed

Dan-Woodman
10-14-2011, 11:53 AM
What about larger or smaller dowels , as for pen makers or larger 4"?
later Daniel

edzbaker
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Daniel, I can make wooden dowels of most any size. Technically up to about 8 1/2" X 36" . But as you probably already know, smaller diameter dowels can't be real Long, if you are turning them on a lathe. And, the price per foot, of dowels over 2" in diameter is un-believable. I have made many 3 1/2 inch dowels for my own use. I have a small Home Made bandsaw mill, and that gives me an edge when it comes to wood.
(Yes the Home Made Bandsaw Mill is UGLY too.. Ha....)

Ed Baker

Dan-Woodman
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry Ed , I was referring to the CW accessory you sell. Will it only accept 2" dowels, or will we be able to carve on something as small as a pen, or as large as say a 4" dowel someday?
thanks Daniel

edzbaker
10-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Dan, I mis understood the question, sorry. The Rotary Jig that Carvewright is offering will only accept 2" diameter round stock. However, I have no objection to "Assisting" any Rotary Jig owner in making adapters for his jig, so that it can cut up to 3 1/2" round stock. I haven't carved on anything less than 1 1/4" with a rotary jig. I think smaller diameter stock might flex during carving.
SO, any owners of my Rotary Jigs that want to carve Larger stock, and want me to assist in making it happen, Just let me know. I will put together some instructions for you.

Thanks

Ed Baker

AskBud
10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Ed,
I've sent you a PM.
AskBud

James RS
10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Hope this helps,
Lawrence

Lawrence, where did you get that jig?

mwhatch
10-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I wonder if it would be that difficult to turn stock for the jig. I have only run one project on the jig, and I just now got my new lathe so I am by no means experienced at this, but I was thinking the it would only be critical on the 1" ends to keep them at 2". Depending on what you are cutting, you don't have to be that exact. You may even want to hog out or rought cut some areas to take strain of the machine and have less mess. Just don't cut lower that the highest point of the carveing in a particular area.

AskBud
10-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I wonder if it would be that difficult to turn stock for the jig. I have only run one project on the jig, and I just now got my new lathe so I am by no means experienced at this, but I was thinking the it would only be critical on the 1" ends to keep them at 2". Depending on what you are cutting, you don't have to be that exact. You may even want to hog out or rought cut some areas to take strain of the machine and have less mess. Just don't cut lower that the highest point of the carveing in a particular area.You are,probably, better off just turning it all to two inches. Not every pattern is going to go deep all the way around the carve.
AskBud

lawrence
10-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Lawrence, where did you get that jig?

I just knocked it together in my shop- I had a need to make some 12 inch 5/8 dowels to make some wooden screws and I was too cheap to buy the nice ones and too lazy to take the time to make them slowly on my lathe by hand. It really is just a couple of pieces of plywood and some knobs. Your mileage will vary and of course each jig will be slightly different based on what router you use. the best bit I found to use was a core box bit.

Of note that will really help you- make yourself a "go no go" tool - basically just a piece of wood with a 2 inch square cut out of the end (to make it look like a wrench) This will give you a good way to measure when you are just hitting the right thickness.

I'll eventually get around to making a larger jig to make 2 inch dowels (once I buy the round jig for the CW) and when I do I'll give good "how to" instructions if y'all are interested.

Lawrence

James RS
10-17-2011, 03:29 AM
I just knocked it together in my shop- I had a need to make some 12 inch 5/8 dowels to make some wooden screws and I was too cheap to buy the nice ones and too lazy to take the time to make them slowly on my lathe by hand. It really is just a couple of pieces of plywood and some knobs. Your mileage will vary and of course each jig will be slightly different based on what router you use. the best bit I found to use was a core box bit.

Of note that will really help you- make yourself a "go no go" tool - basically just a piece of wood with a 2 inch square cut out of the end (to make it look like a wrench) This will give you a good way to measure when you are just hitting the right thickness.

I'll eventually get around to making a larger jig to make 2 inch dowels (once I buy the round jig for the CW) and when I do I'll give good "how to" instructions if y'all are interested.

Lawrence

Sounds good

edzbaker
10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Lawrence, I have an old "Craftsman Router Crafter" that I used in the past for cane making. It uses the same concept, and a core box bit was what I used with it to turn a square round. You start out with the stock locked in position, take the corners off one at a time, then rotate the stock by hand and make it round with the router. If you have ever seen one, or used one you will know that it will fit up to 36" long, square stock, and will make some nice spirals and flutes also. Sears doesn't sell them anymore, but I noticed that there are a few still being sold on e-bay.

Ed

Chay
10-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi All,

For those who dont have a woodlathe, here is a simple jig from The April 1994 "WOOD" magazine entitled" Router Table Turning"
that would work to turn consistanty 2" dowels.
If anyone has issues with me posting this picture, delete it.
The whole article is interesting because you can turn tapers and do flutes with this jig.
I could post the whole article but It may be copywrite.

Good luck Carving
Chay

Chay
10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Whoops sorry, I did a search. The article is for sale at this site. Didn't mean to do anything out of line.
Chay
http://www.woodstore.net/routtabturfa.html

DickB
10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi All,

For those who dont have a woodlathe, here is a simple jig from The April 1994 "WOOD" magazine entitled" Router Table Turning"
that would work to turn consistanty 2" dowels.
If anyone has issues with me posting this picture, delete it.
The whole article is interesting because you can turn tapers and do flutes with this jig.
I could post the whole article but It may be copywrite.

Good luck Carving
Chay

Seems to me you could automate dowel making on the CarveWright. Make a 3" version of the carving jig. Fasten 3" diameter discs to ends of rectangular stock and load it into the jig. Make an MPC with parallel passes of the 1/8" bit set to .5" deep, or carve a rectangular region 1/2" deep.