PDA

View Full Version : Machine Hacks

gapdev
09-23-2011, 04:46 PM
This is mostly to Brandon (liquidguitars) since he brought this up in another thread that is too old for me to be replying in.

You mentioned this in connection with an old Model A unit you bought. Can I ask why you do this and is it still a good idea with B and C machines?

1. Removed the plastic FFC protector

I assume you are talking about the plastic piece that the cable weaves through?

2. loosened hood

Which hood and why?

Are there any other, good for the machine but voids your warranty hacks that should be performed? I can think of a lot of places I'd like to cut some holes into so I can blow the sawdust out easier.

Kenny

liquidguitars
09-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Things I do the the machine when I first get one? I do not use dust collection "yet" and my sleds tend to keep the dust in the unit so this is a little over the top.

Cut the sandpaper belts .50" on the keyboard side. " keeps the belts from moving into Aux sensor."

loosen the hood " top cover" and cut a 3" square in the plastic where the motor can hit the wires next to the bit plate. "keeps motor from hitting wires"

Cut a square or drill a 2" hole next to the out feed roller " rear board sensor" on side cover "needed to clean dust build up"

Remove right side cover. "quicker to clean dust when using a sled."

Remove plastic FFC guard. "quicker for me to check the connection" this is just a personal choice.

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2011, 06:02 PM
This might be a different guide.... But the one that screws into the Z Motor Board that extends the support of the FFC Cable when removed by me one day being lazy... Resulted in the cable drooping and snagging and pulling out under power smoking a Z Servo Motor... I was able to swap motors for a quick fix. I think Ike is talking about this one?

AL

gapdev
09-23-2011, 06:47 PM
When my Flexshaft melted and the cable tied itself into a knot next to the cut motor it bent that FFC Cable guide and frayed the outside edge of the FFC cable a bit but it appears to be OK. I think I'll leave my Cable guide in place for now.

My cable ends all seem to be glued in place so I don't think they will vibrate out.

Thanks for the info.

Kenny

liquidguitars
09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Not the big one in Al's picture, It's the small black plastic FFC guard on the back of the ztruck, I think it only has one screw, I remove it when i replace the zpack motor as the guard tends to bend the cable when i make the reconnection.

gapdev
09-24-2011, 07:20 PM
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to reroute the cover switch (or bypass it all together) so that I can open the cover without stopping the machine (my melted shaft machine doesn't like to be stopped) to make vacuuming easier than sticking a tube down the center all the while being careful to stay clear of the Z-Truck?

Kenny