PDA

View Full Version : Meltdown

gapdev
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Brand new Flexshaft. It did 2 carves, barely getting warm. Then yesterday it started getting warmer, and warmer. Today it got hot, and this is the result.

I've got a Model B with a CarveTight (used to be a Rock Chuck, but my original Flexshaft was getting hot (like this one today), and thinking that I may have enlarged the spindle hole on the Z-Truck when trying to get the old bit adapter off, I ordered a new Flexshaft and CarveTight and installed them together). It worked great for the first couple of carves.

I've been trying to carve the Wilderness Eagle Clock and its been a bitch. I also have the problem that when I pause the machine to vacuum (with a grounded machine and vac hose), when it starts back up I get the blank display, Error 303/302 syndrome. So, this is my 3rd attempt. I noticed that after carving the Eagles and it goes on to carve the round insert section, the cable would vibrate and shudder. Placing a bit of pressure on it would alleviate the noise and vibration.

Also, where the cable exits the back of the machine, as the Z-Truck moves from side to side (Y), it rubs against the back and the cover and this begins to cut into the cable. I wrapped the area with black tape, hoping it would prevent a cut all the way through the cable. Also, on both of my FlexShafts, the metal wire retainer also cuts into the cable where it bends. This too, I wrapped with black tape.

The poor machine. After the meltdown, it was gracious enough to stop and say "Z-Stall Error (and some error #), press Stop".

I just spent $5,000.00 having a soundproof room built to house the machine (complaining neighbor).

Note how the cable tied itself into a knot at the Cut Motor.

Interesting that this happened while I was talking to Connie on the phone!

I'm off to inspect further, clean up the mess, and see if I can fix the poor thing.

I also just ordered a brand new machine. Can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully it will behave better than this one!

Anyway, here are some pics.

Digitalwoodshop
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
WOW.... That IS a big MESS.....

Good Luck,

AL

dltccf
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
This all sounds very familiar. My thread called "vibrating flex shaft" details my ongoing struggles with a very similar problem.

dave

liquidguitars
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Can you take a photo of the bit you used and the cut it made the wood please?

gapdev
09-22-2011, 04:42 PM
This is the same area it was carving yesterday when the Flexshaft started vibrating horribly.

liquidguitars
09-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Man that looks good... I take it that the spindle was cool during the carve?

One thing I do to check the Flex core is to twist it with two hands in the opposite direction, most of the time the core will not twist under pressure I think a worn one will give a little I not sure if that adds to the issue.

On the bright side i never lost one to overheating and I have a lot of cut hrs.

gapdev
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Unlike others who have commented about their CarveTight running hot, mine has only been warm. The whole thing was running great - barely warm to the touch along the entire length of the cable. The only problem I've had since I installed the CarveTight and new Flexshaft was with vacuuming (causes the display to go blank with one row of solid squares, but otherwise continues to carve) and with opening the cover or pressing stop - this causes it to stop with either a 302/303 error (I think those are the right codes) right after it starts again.

Perplexing. I hope I can get it fixed without having to send it in.

Kenny

fwharris
09-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Unlike others who have commented about their CarveTight running hot, mine has only been warm. The whole thing was running great - barely warm to the touch along the entire length of the cable. The only problem I've had since I installed the CarveTight and new Flexshaft was with vacuuming (causes the display to go blank with one row of solid squares, but otherwise continues to carve) and with opening the cover or pressing stop - this causes it to stop with either a 302/303 error (I think those are the right codes) right after it starts again.

Perplexing. I hope I can get it fixed without having to send it in.

Kenny

You are getting hit with static electricity from your vac hose. You need to make sure you keep the hose away from the display panel at all times. Also make sure you are in good contact with the machine while vacuuming out the machine. To many times of zapping the electronics and you will put the machine down for good.

gapdev
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
You are getting hit with static electricity from your vac hose.

That's what I thought so I grounded the machine and made my own Vac Hoses that I can get down into the nooks and crannies - and insert down through the top during a carve since I can't pause my machine while it is carving.

The only thing touching the carvewright is the grounded aluminum tubing. Although I do have to admit that the plastic tubing probably rubs against the side and display while I'm vacuuming around the left side.

Kenny

dbfletcher
09-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Can you explain a little more about your setup? In order for your grounding to be effective, the CW frame, vac hoses, vacuum, and everything in between should be bonded to the same ground. Unless I'm missing something??

Digitalwoodshop
09-22-2011, 09:02 PM
I would run the wire INSIDE the tube but that is not a sure thing....... Much can be learned about Static Electricity on a site called Wood Web.... I like the story about the guy running his Planer and a overhead PVC Pipe for collection. He touched it as he moved under it after a job and woke up an hour later.... Having been knocked un conscious by the static on the outside of the PVC.... He also had the wire inside the pipe... But the outside built up...

I think with your plastic hose it's a gamble... I think "Clint" said it best..... "Do you feel Lucky?"

Get the Ringneck unit and a 1 HP 4 inch dust collector.

Good Luck,

AL

When you kill the unit with Static it is going to cost you an excess of $500.00 to get it working and then you will be back to what you have today... I think you have been lucky.... the chips flowing through the plastic rubber hose make the static....

A Dust Collector and Ringneck collector will be much less than the Computer, Power Supply and LCD Display.

gapdev
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
The Vacuum (Rigid) is connected to the same Electrical Supply (same 20 amp Circuit, albeit a different wall outlet) as the CarveWright. I don't think the vacuum is grounded though, humm. I don't know where to ground it since it's all plastic :confused:.

The ground wire to the CarveWright is attached to the Electrical ground you see in the picture. Other end of the wire is connected to the aluminum frame that the rubber traction belt mounts to.

The vacuum hose shown in the picture: One end connects to the Rigid Vacuum hose, the other end (aluminum tubing) I hold in my hand, always making sure I touch the ground wire that is wrapped around the end of the tubing that is inserted into the plastic tubing. A Screw then attaches the end of the ground wire through the plastic tubing and into the aluminum tube. The other end of the vacuum ground has an alligator clip that I attach to the ground wire going from the wall outlet to the Carvewright.

I checked continuity from the electric outlet ground screw to all metal parts of the CarveWright and it shows as a direct short. When the home made vac hose is hooked up, the aluminum tubing also shows zero ohms from the tube to the ground screw on the electrical outlet and all metal parts of the CarveWright.

Kenny

gapdev
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I would run the wire INSIDE the tube

I thought about doing that but was worried that the wire would cause an obstruction inside the tubing. The smaller one is only a quarter inch and the larger one is 3/4.

I know that the description for the Rockler grounding kit says that it does no good if you don't route the BARE wire INSIDE your dust collection tubing.

I have to be mindful of the neighbors and had to get rid of my Dust Collector because there wasn't room for it in the Sound Proof room. As you'll see when I post my experiences with sound proofing, there is another CNC machine at one end of the room and there will now soon be two CarveWright's (providing I can get this one working again)!

Kenny

dbfletcher
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. It sounds like everything is properly bonded to ground, but it also sure sound like your were experiencing static discharges so I would probably rethink the strategy anyways. Good luck!

bayea
09-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey Kenny, i made a new table for my carvewright and put a small dust collector i got from rockler under neath it. the dust collector is actually quieter than the carver. I also installed the DC adapter from ring neck blues. wouldn't do without it now.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30676&filter=dust%20collector