PDA

View Full Version : Short notice pattern

JDPratt
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
For the life of me I can't figure out how to make a line segment drawing into a carved region. After I connect all the lines, the carved region menu block stays inaccessible. I need to knock out a quick project for a guy with the Mitsibuishi three diamond logo (no words). Can someone either tell me how to make this happen or generate the logo for me. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

John

lynnfrwd
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Line segment might be the wrong tool. Try Spline or arc tool.

Nope, scratch that, I reread your post.

If the carve region tool is grayed and not an option, then you have a connection point that is not fully connected. Zoom in and recheck each point. You should see the star burst when you are on the right spot. A broken region cannot be carved.

atauer
09-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Dang!

Lynn beat me to it.

She is absolutely correct about the broken line segment. Somewhere, you have a vertex that is not fully connected. Your best option would be to zoom in on each one to locate it. The starburst will appear when you hit the sweet spot.

GrammaPam
09-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Great question John! I don't know the answer, without making it a demensional carving in my other program and importing it as a raser (greytone)file. It's not conform, which you'd think it should be. Another carver and I have been struggling with that also. I'll be watching for the answer.

If really smart graphics people are reading this thread, how do you adjust the nudge feature distance on the arrows to move a selection. Mine's set on 100th of an inch which is really tedious.

Thank you,
G.P.

myshop1044
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
John, you line seg are not closed, there is a Icon button that shows the two end points that are not closed, that is why the region button want come up.
It will show you which one, and all you have to do is move one and the region button will appear.

Perry

lynnfrwd
09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
LOL. I'd say we were all answering at once! Awesome!

JDPratt
09-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys. I thought I had them connected, but upon another look after your responses I found the links that were broken. Thanks for the quick responses.

John

Custom Craft
09-21-2011, 11:35 AM
This work?

Kenm810
09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
A fun Exercise in -- How To :D

Kenm810
09-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Custom Craft,

First Post -- I see you've been a Forum Member for a couple years,

Welcome, it's nice to hear from you, we'll be watching for some of your Project Posts
Please feel free to chip-in any time.

GrammaPam
09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I apologize for any confusion. I mis read John's question. I thought he wanted to carve a line inside of a carved area. He was asking how to make a series of lines a carved area.
Carving an area inside of an exisiting carve region is what I have been trying to figure out that I thought conform may work with but so far hasn't. And then, also the adjustment on the nudge feature.
Any answers?
Thanks in advance,
G.P.

lynnfrwd
09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
I apologize for any confusion. I mis read John's question. I thought he wanted to carve a line inside of a carved area. He was asking how to make a series of lines a carved area.
Carving an area inside of an exisiting carve region is what I have been trying to figure out that I thought conform may work with but so far hasn't. And then, also the adjustment on the nudge feature.
Any answers?
Thanks in advance,
G.P.

You are right; Conforming Vectors only conforms vectors.

Vector follows a path; Raster (which is what patterns & carved regions are) goes line by line.

Are you trying to carve a region inside a region? Like this?

You must have both regions selected, right click and do Clip Carving Exclusive.

I hope that's what you are looking for...

Lynn

GrammaPam
09-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Thank you so much Lynn!

You made the same sample art I was trying it with.

Have a great day
G.P.