PDA

View Full Version : Hinges ??

Ropdoc
09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Hey guys, I um have an embarrassing question. How do you install hinges on little projects? I have no problem with door hinges. But I did a pen box for my wife. I spent lots of time sanding it and trueing it up. I install the 3/4" hinges and got it all wampy jawed. I definitly took them for granted. Is there a special technigue ?

Thanks,
Dave

mtylerfl
09-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Hey guys, I um have an embarrassing question. How do you install hinges on little projects? I have no problem with door hinges. But I did a pen box for my wife. I spent lots of time sanding it and trueing it up. I install the 3/4" hinges and got it all wampy jawed. I definitly took them for granted. Is there a special technigue ?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Ahhh...hinges! It's, always a challenge to get them lined up perfectly isn't it?

I'll tell you a couple techniques I use....

1) I place the hinges on the "easy" surface first (usually the box edge), drill my pilot holes and screw down
2) Get the hot glue gun out and put a couple teeny dabs on the mating surface of the hinge and quickly put the box lid on top of the hinges, align the lid, and wait a few seconds for the glue to "grab"
3) Carefully open the lid so as not to break the glue bond and mark my screw holes with an awl
4) "Break" the glue bond and drill pilot holes, then insert the screws

Another, similar method...

1) Do the same thing as above using small strips of double stick carpet tape, or (more "dangerous), use a teeny bit of super glue to hold the hinge in place
2) I don't bother trying to "break the bond" if using super glue...just mark and drill the holes with the hinge still in place

Ropdoc
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Now see I knew I came to the right place. Thank you for not laughing at me. ;-) And thank you so much for the helpful tips !!!!

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
wampy jawed

I say "wampy jawed" all of the time!!! Thought I was the only one!!!!

You made my day!

Dan-Woodman
09-20-2011, 08:35 AM
For illustration purposes I took a "box" and added support wings to each side for the rollers to ride on. Depending on your size hinge , you will have to adjust the hinge cutout to fit. This illustration is only .750 thick , so I could show cutout areas.Then you can square up the corners on the hinge cutouts , or grind the corners of your hinges to fit. Your side rails would need to be the same thickness as your box,and 7 " longer with cross boards on the ends for board detection. This is just the basic idea of how to cut hinge recesses on your CW. Set the depth of cut about .010 less than half the thickness of the hinge when closed.
later Daniel

Ropdoc
09-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I say "wampy jawed" all of the time!!! Thought I was the only one!!!!

You made my day!

I am glad I cheered you up. That cheered me up too. Got ur did