PDA

View Full Version : New disabled Vet and new owner to a used CW

arlineastman
09-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Hi
I am a disabled Vet and bought a CW to help me in carving nice pics and animals.

While I was in the hospital for 6 months, on one of the walks with the nurse pushing me in the wheelchair, I noticed many couples leaving the hospital in greif. I finally asked the nurse why the couples were greiving and she told me they came into the hospital to have a baby and left haveing a stillborn child. She also told me the cardboard box they were leaving with was to put keepsakes in to remember the child by, right then I wanted to make wooden boxes for them.
I have never done any woodworking before, but I want to make nice wooden boxes instead of cardboard ones. This is why I have bought the CW system to help me in carving nice things in the tops.
I am having a hard time figuring out the software to make animals or angels or birds and things like that. So that is why I am coming here for help.

Thank you
Arlin

AskBud
09-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Hi
I am a disabled Vet and bought a CW to help me in carving nice pics and animals....
...... I am having a hard time figuring out the software to make animals or angels or birds and things like that. So that is why I am coming here for help.
Thank you
ArlinYou're half way home! The standard software may not get you what you want and need.
Many times you may find patterns and MPCs (designed projects), which are free, right here on the forum. They are all over the forum, but many are in the Pattern Sharing section. The old area was a catch-all of thousands, many with poor naming conventions. This link gets you there. http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046 You can use the "Find" command to look for word(s) that might have been used by the posting member.

In January of 2011, members and LHR started an attempt to split out newer offerings in to sub categories. Several rules/suggestions are listed in the Read-me at the top of the list. It breaks the offerings in to subs (and more may be added as needed) that attempt to narrow our searching. Here is a quick link to this part of the forum.
http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?67-Pattern-Sharing

You may also purchase patterns and projects via the Pattern Depot. Here is a quick link to that area. http://store.carvewright.com/pattern.php
The vendor list on the left allows you to zoom to a particular vendor (if you have a favorite) allowing you to just see his/her offerings. Either way, you may refine your search to find what you seek.

I, also, suggest that you consider buying the "Probe" package. I allows you to copy/scan actual items with the CW probe tip by which you develop your own pattern. This package includes the Pattern Editor software, which allows you to modify the patterns you make. Pattern editor may be bought without the probe, but the extra $50.00 for the entire package, is well worth the cost.

My "Download" link, below, takes you to lots of lessons/offerings by myself and others, including LHR areas of learning.
Enjoy your new found activities!
AskBud

arlineastman
09-19-2011, 04:50 AM
You're half way home! The standard software may not get you what you want and need.
Many times you may find patterns and MPCs (designed projects), which are free, right here on the forum. They are all over the forum, but many are in the Pattern Sharing section. The old area was a catch-all of thousands, many with poor naming conventions. This link gets you there. http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046 You can use the "Find" command to look for word(s) that might have been used by the posting member.

In January of 2011, members and LHR started an attempt to split out newer offerings in to sub categories. Several rules/suggestions are listed in the Read-me at the top of the list. It breaks the offerings in to subs (and more may be added as needed) that attempt to narrow our searching. Here is a quick link to this part of the forum.
http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?67-Pattern-Sharing

You may also purchase patterns and projects via the Pattern Depot. Here is a quick link to that area. http://store.carvewright.com/pattern.php
The vendor list on the left allows you to zoom to a particular vendor (if you have a favorite) allowing you to just see his/her offerings. Either way, you may refine your search to find what you seek.

I, also, suggest that you consider buying the "Probe" package. I allows you to copy/scan actual items with the CW probe tip by which you develop your own pattern. This package includes the Pattern Editor software, which allows you to modify the patterns you make. Pattern editor may be bought without the probe, but the extra $50.00 for the entire package, is well worth the cost.

My "Download" link, below, takes you to lots of lessons/offerings by myself and others, including LHR areas of learning.
Enjoy your new found activities!
AskBud

Dear AskBud
I did get the probe tip with 2 bits 1/16" and 1/8" can this do most of the work that I need?
Thank You
Arlin

AskBud
09-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Dear AskBud
I did get the probe tip with 2 bits 1/16" and 1/8" can this do most of the work that I need?
Thank You
Arlin
I, also, have Centerline (which uses the "V" bits to apply/carve text) and Conforming Vectors which allows us to safely "Conform" vectors (including text) in to the carved areas which we develop. You will find some lessons on both in the download link below, as well.
AskBud

arlineastman
09-19-2011, 05:23 AM
I do not think I have Centerline or how do I find it. The down link you mentioned which one is it. Sorry I ask so many questions, I did get bumped on the head alittle to much.
Arlin

AskBud
09-19-2011, 05:31 AM
I do not think I have Centerline or how do I find it. The down link you mentioned which one is it. Sorry I ask so many questions, I did get bumped on the head alittle to much.
ArlinMY signature area, below, has this download link at the top of the list.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm

This link takes you to the LHR Software store. http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/products/cwsoftware.php
AskBud

PS: Check your private messages.

arlineastman
09-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I checked my message and thank you. I have also found some patterns in the free pattern section, there sure is alot to see.
Arlin

Smoken D
09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Arlin: Where you from? Maybe someone close that could help you out.

arlineastman
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Smoken D
Sorry I have been sick for the past few days.
I live in Council Bluffs, IA. I sure could use some help and instruction and most welcome. I would even pay some gas money.
Arlin

Ambrose
01-17-2012, 09:23 PM
That is very touching and thoughtful. I remember when we lost our first son everything was placed in a plastic bag for us to carry home I hadnt thought about how that made me feel until reading your posting. i know the parents who recieve your boxes will cherish it forever. Thank you for your continued service to thos in need and to for the service to our country.

Ambrose Stapleton

dltccf
01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I just got a request from my Sister-in-Law to build a "memories box" for her best friend who just lost her 17 month old son to a rare form of cancer so I completely understand your thinking on the boxes. I have some box designs that I can share with you if you are want.

dave

Hi
I am a disabled Vet and bought a CW to help me in carving nice pics and animals.

While I was in the hospital for 6 months, on one of the walks with the nurse pushing me in the wheelchair, I noticed many couples leaving the hospital in greif. I finally asked the nurse why the couples were greiving and she told me they came into the hospital to have a baby and left haveing a stillborn child. She also told me the cardboard box they were leaving with was to put keepsakes in to remember the child by, right then I wanted to make wooden boxes for them.
I have never done any woodworking before, but I want to make nice wooden boxes instead of cardboard ones. This is why I have bought the CW system to help me in carving nice things in the tops.
I am having a hard time figuring out the software to make animals or angels or birds and things like that. So that is why I am coming here for help.

Thank you
Arlin

brewmeister35
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Arlin,

Go to the tips and tricks section on the main carvewright page and work your way through the sample projects. They will give you a big jump start in learning the software and machine. I can't stress that enough. My machine sat in my dad's basement for years because he couldn't figure it out. When I got it, I did the tips and tricks and it's been one project after another since then.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service and sacrifice.

David

lynnfrwd
01-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Also, great Step-by-Step Design Projects at www.carvewright.com under LearningLab > Tutorials > Project Designer Software

cestout
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
This is truly a noble enterprise. Since you are new to woodworking and boxes are my thing I will design the basic box, or several boxes, and you can add your details. See A More Elegant Box and the Little Pot Belly Box in the pattern store. PM me with size details etc and I will sent you the designs and how-to.
Clint