PDA

View Full Version : How does one know?

crash5050
09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
When you download a ptn file from the forum or the store, how do you know what bits to use? I have a variety of bits that have a 1/4 inch shank, such as a 1/4 inch carving bits that I use on my big router. Can I change the bit size on the patterns, it certainly would make carving a lot faster,

skeeterman
09-18-2011, 08:25 PM
the carving bit used is the 1/16 , but you can change to the 1/8 carving or 3/16 carving by going to board settings and then to bits and change it there, default is 1/16 carving
steve

dbfletcher
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Most patterns are also designed to be carved with the 1/16 bit, using any other bit will most likely lead to poor results.

crash5050
09-18-2011, 09:42 PM
The pattern that I did manage to get cut today before my machine went tits up again, the maltese Cross, it came out very rough, looks like it is going to take hours of sanding to get it looking good. Is there any way to remedy that?

GrammaPam
09-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Most patterns are also designed to be carved with the 1/16 bit, using any other bit will most likely lead to poor results.

I've read that the computer tells the cut motor what speed to operate at based on the size of the bit the information says it is told to use. In designer you can check the bit size on each part in the design by slecting that part and clicking on "tools" then click on the word "select bit."

Really experieced wood workers, tool mechanics and people smarter than me know when they can fudge and what types a wood are safest to do it on. If it's a new machine I'd wait till I knew more to go changing what you are told by the manual and the company.

Logically, too large a bit can carve off the detail, too small not carve out enough of the area.

Best of luck and welcome.
G.P.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Hello Miss Pam ... hope your shop is up and running soon.

Crash ... what time of wood are you using and what setting?