PDA

View Full Version : newbie

alias
09-18-2011, 08:18 AM
hi yeah newbie and this may be a dumb question not sure i'm doing a project to learn how to cut all the way through the board with a 1/2 inch pattern in the center learned using the tutoroil but where i'm confused is do i put the carving bit in first and do the carving first or the cut through.

thanks

dbfletcher
09-18-2011, 08:33 AM
The machine with always do cut-outs as the last operation. It might be helpful if you could post your mpc so we can make sure you are not trying to do anything crazy. I assume you used the "cutout" tool to do your cutout. You dont really get a choice of which order for the bits when it comes to this machine. It is predetermined by the software.. you just have to load the bit the machine asks for.

alias
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
i did use the cutout tool i'm new so i'm not sure how to post the mpc

alias
09-18-2011, 08:51 AM
i put in the carving bit that it asked for it sized up the board and is now telling me that cut exceeds board depth. i'm being careful i just don't want to damage the machine.

alias
09-18-2011, 09:05 AM
47329 im trying to figure how to upload to this sight not sure if i did it right

alias
09-18-2011, 10:05 AM
just keeps saying cut exceeds board depth but the board is 3/4 and that is what i set the depth for then it just goes back to the beggining where it says project

AskBud
09-18-2011, 11:00 AM
47329 im trying to figure how to upload to this sight not sure if i did it right
My "Download" link, below, has a lesson on Attachments that will help you accomplish the task. It's titled "Attachments-Revised 7/9/2010".

Also, tell us about the stock (and any sled/jig) you are using and the bit in play.
AskBud

alias
09-18-2011, 11:49 AM
the bit is the 1/16 carving bit which is what the cw asked for. i built a sled from the directions so i have one but i didn't know i needed it for this. i'm using a piece of 1x8 aspen

AskBud
09-18-2011, 06:08 PM
just keeps saying cut exceeds board depth but the board is 3/4 and that is what i set the depth for then it just goes back to the beginning where it says projectWhen your design your project, you state the thickness of the stock.
If you have cut-outs or other thru-cuts, The CW will prompt you if you wish to cut out just the project board or if you intend to also cut your sled as well. Obviously, if the stock is 3/4 inch thick and you have a sled thicker than 1/4 inch (and you reply "Board") the machine will determine that it can not cut that deep.
This sound like what you may be running in to. Watch/read each prompt.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
09-18-2011, 07:09 PM
the bit is the 1/16 carving bit which is what the cw asked for. i built a sled from the directions so i have one but i didn't know i needed it for this. i'm using a piece of 1x8 aspen

I think u are talking about the scanning sled and if ur board is over .5" u don't need one.

alias
09-24-2011, 09:14 AM
sorry im not sure what you mean by sled please explain.i understand about the sled i made but i'm not sure what you mean by sled askbud
thanks

lynnfrwd
09-24-2011, 09:26 AM
There scanning sleds-instructions to build on website under tutorials - probe. And then there are jigs and carrier boards -see under tips and tricks (don't remember which issue) from 2008 maybe.

Both categories are under LearningLab tab. That may clear up the different terminology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
09-24-2011, 09:28 AM
The machine always carves first then cuts. It will find the tip of each bit used in the set up process. LCD will tell u when to put in each bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AskBud
09-24-2011, 09:50 AM
sorry im not sure what you mean by sled please explain.i understand about the sled i made but i'm not sure what you mean by sled askbud
thanksI've sent you a private message.
AskBud