PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Carvewright, complete, never used. SOLD ON EBAY

Millwright
09-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Hello, I purchased a Carvewright off eBay several months ago, with aspirations of designing a new "product line" in addition to my existing stair parts and architectural millwork.
after more thoroughly researching the field, I am confident that an industrial 5 axis CNC is a better choice for me rather than my initial plan of testing the waters with this Carvewright, then buying a small fleet of them to pump out the carved millwork I wish to produce...

I've decided to list this unit rather than depreciating it my setting it up and playing with it...

I'm confused as to what these are worth... I paid $1200 even Plus SHipping for this one as it is complete with card, card reader straight bit, tapered carving bit, collet wrench and the CD's
this unit also includes a Delta Planer stand which fits it perfectly.
I will add some photos later tonight or tomorrow, and I can email photos to anyone interested...
I'd entertain any offers in the $1050 region and will split the shipping charge with the buyer if it is to be shipped, or perhaps knock an equivalent amount off the sale price for anyone wishing to pick it up here in Bonita Springs, FL 34135 in fact, I may be able to meet halfway within a 100 mile radius or so (Tampa through Miami)

THese seem like really great machines for their intended purposes, but I should have resarched a bit more before jumping on what I thought was a fairly good deal back several months ago...

now the LED screen, as most of you probably know, can be commanded to show the run time of that particular machine.
I verified this with Carvewright Technical support, who confirm that all Carvewright machines leave the factory with 20min run time on them... this is done at the factory, and it indicates that the machine is NEW if it has the 20 min. run time -only. (which of course this one does!)

Brand New, Never had any material through it. bits have never touched any wood.
this is a NEW, BRAND SPANKIN' NEW Carvewright (Compucarve)

I still dont understand why these are called by 2 different names!
anyway, I may be reached at 239-234-7068 or contacted by email at jkhperformancetech@gmail.com.

My wife and I have a lot of ebay experience, and as such , know the fees on something of this value are just astronomical...
while eBay would surely love it, we wouldn't! so I thought it might be a better idea to list HERE rather than on eBay.
I am prepared and EXPECTING to take a loss on this, -I leaped before looking, and now have something which (A) I am not going to use... and (B) it's rather expensive.
I would consider a trade or partial trade for any Festool brand tools (tools + cash or my Carvewright + cash for your Festool tools, depending on the value)
as for shipping this, it is quite heavy. about 90lbs if I recall... UPS is likely the best choice for shipping this, and as such, I will ship anywhere in the lower 48 (splitting shipping fee with the buyer) or I will contribute an equivocal amount towards shipping anywhere else (and buyer can pickup the remaining shipping costs)

No disappointments here, just a solid deal for an entirely solid, NEW complete Carvewright.

PS, we have a LOT of experience shipping things, and rest assured this machine and it's accessories will be most carefully packaged, double boxed + additional protection through high tech packing supplies. it shall arrive in the same shape it left the factory in!

thanks for your interest, and feel free to contact me anytime regarding this sale.

J. Kyle

fwharris
09-16-2011, 07:29 PM
What machine version is this? What chuck system?

Digitalwoodshop
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
J.

Since you asked... The Value is more like $500.00 used even with the hours you stated. LHR will not warrant the second owner so that is the $500.00 Plus Value you lost.

What serial number series helps or hurts value too A, B, or C.... Knowing if it has the newer 14 pin FFC Cable system is important and Chuck System like above.

Not the news you were looking for....

Good Luck,

AL

Millwright
09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
hours? there are no hours on this, it has never been used.

this is the earlier version that has the basic feed system and the basic chuck, not the high performance or upgrade version.

but it is NEW, never used, and complete...

Certainly not selling it for $500 ;)

lawrence
09-18-2011, 01:44 AM
unfortunately, even new, there is no factory warranty... it doesn't transfer.

You may get a better offer on e-bay or craigslist, but here on the forum the going rate for a used (even "new" used) functional machine is $500-$700--Al knows what he is talking about.

I'll keep my ear to the ground for you though and will let you know if I know of anyone that is interested.

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
J,

Since you have the means to buy a $70K real CNC, and must be doing this as a Business. A better deal for you would be to donate the machine to a School and take the full value as a Tax Deduction rather than the loss of 75% of the value.

Good Luck with your projects. Sorry the CW did not fit your needs.

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news about the price... As I said, we here are educated buyers and know the true used value. This would be an excellent 2nd or 5th machine for many users here. Add about $400.00 in upgrades and you will have a (almost) equivalent to a new "C" machine. So being the fact that this machine will need $400.00 in upgrades and will be without a warranty is the reason for the low $500.00 value. Then about $100.00 in crate and shipping and a new "C" is looking better and better.

This machine has been know to be reduced to Scrap Metal during Shipping due to being dropped and the frame snapping so your offer of Professional Shipping Standards is important as likely the Box is long gone.

AL

glassocean
09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I actually bought my carvewright used, and from a guy in Bonita no less. I paid $850 for mine and it had about 60 hours on it. I would think you could still get about $1000 for it, since it's never been used.

Jeff

Millwright
09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
the ebay listing is ending in about 2 hours from now and it is already up beyond $900.
You know, I'm really surprised how low of an opinion some of you have on these machines!
I am most definitely a Professional/Industrial user, and after a brief but thorough research sesson several months back, I detemined a few of these personal CNC routers would be ideal for short runs of custom carved millwork (Enkeboll type crown, casing, etc)
Fortunately for me, since I didn't have the time to setup and learn or ever even USE this one, there are many others who do NOT share your low opinions of these machines to whose forums you're members of ???
$500!!? please, I would give it to the kids down the street before letting myself be taken advantage of like that.... nice try though. to you and your helper...

By the way, owning industrial equipment doesn't mean someone has deep pockets, in fact it usually means the OPPOSITE.
I listed this for sale because A, I am not using it, and B, I need money for something else...
but the donating/tax writeoff idea is pretty clever, in the event these were really such horrendous losses of equity. (they're not ...)

after researching, buying, owning and now selling one I can say that I would definitely recommend one of these to any serious hobbyist or application specific commercial user who doesn't want to tie up the CNC for time consuming relief carving duties...
and Carvewright Support is just about the friendliest, most knowledgeable and professional customer I have contacted in a long time. they rank up there with Festool and Bosch...

This is still available for a few more minutes -JIC someone wants it on this medium.

thanks

dbfletcher
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Glad you were able to get a better price, but if you read what forum members said, they did state you may fair better by listing on ebay. I think the advice and recommendation you received where right on. If you search the forum to see what similar machines have sold for on this forum you would see those numbers where not just pulled from a hat. As always, the machine is worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm betting most ebay users are not quite as familiar with the machines as most of the members here.

But again, congrats on getting a better price on ebay.

jaroot
09-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I have to agree with Doug and Al. It is a great machine! You can't beat it for the price, but if the machine has the Quick Chuck you will have to up date it or it will quite likely shake itself to pieces so that's a hundred. No warranty, that could be a few hundred. I've not had to up date mine for the cable/card up date but that could be a few bucks and pretty soon you've spent what it would cost to purchase a "C" model.

Though most of us love our machines, we have enough experience with them to know what the various models are worth. And appropriately just about everybody who responded recommended that you choose another venue to try to best recoup your cost.

I don't think anyone intended to offend you with their valuations, just stated facts.

Now you've sold it to somebody on ebay and they will most likely end up here and will learn what it will take to make it into a reliable machine and will most likely end up investing enough in it to equal a "C" machine.

lawrence
09-20-2011, 11:48 PM
You asked a question and we gave you honest answers. Your implication to me is both incorrect and rude, but that's OK as I have been both of those things before too.

Al has shown neither of these traits though-- as a matter of fact, his patience, generosity, and knowledge have helped the carvewright become the well-loved machine it is for many of us.

I'm truly sorry if life has handed you so many short-straws that you automatically assume you are being duped or misled.

I'll have no further reaction except to say good luck with your ebay sale-you are certainly correct about the Carvewright staff being the best as well

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2011, 11:34 AM
No hard feelings. Glad you sold the machine. Mention to the buyer to come join the Forum.

I sent this to you via eBay in case you did not check back to the forum before shipping. I am igonavy on eBay.

Congratulations on selling your machine.
I recommend that you remove the top cover and loosen the screw on the cut motor that holds the flex shaft in place, and twist and remove it. Leaving it attached to the motor places stress on the front housing of the Cut Motor. It can crack the front of the case. It can also kink the flex shaft Spring and the Flex will then burn up on the first carving.
Also crank the head all the way down to the table.
Good Luck,
AL, digitalwoodshop from the CarveWright forum....

Millwright
09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey thanks alot, and I will certainly refer the buyer to the forum. I have a complete "care package" I put together that includes links and phone numbers, and there is truly a LOT of support for these machines right here on thie very forum.
I will likely buy a couple of these the next time I take on a job that would require shelling out tens of thousand's to Raymond Enkeboll's heir's, as I believe these machines can copy and carve equivalent carved mouldings (am I correct in that presumtion?)
I hope so, because I'll likely be back on this forum asking a series of newbie questions when the time comes.
C-model, eh? -I think I'll buy brand new from the manufacturer next time ;)
thanks again

Digitalwoodshop
09-21-2011, 07:22 PM
On that care package.... The CD is a VERY old version of the program and LHR recommends to go to the CarveWright.com website and download from there and never use the CD... It's too old.... Too many changes.

The "C" is the Cream of the Crop in CW's. There are some old posts on cutting molding. A suggestion was made to use the CW to carve just the art area and insert it into a base molding cut with a Router. The Long simple linear carves. A complete molding could take an hour per foot to carve.

On the other hand... The Probe could copy a old detail molding and the CW make it.... Your on the right track....

Just remember 250 Cut Motor hours is Maintenance Time... Cut Motor Brushes before they get too short and stall and snap the $40.00 bit and 250 hours to replace the Y Gear Box Bearings. 5 mm x 12 mm x 5 mm if they are the same in a "C" version.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768

Good Luck,

AL