PDA

View Full Version : can the 1/16 bit be sharpened?

bayea
09-15-2011, 03:21 PM
does anyone know who will sharpen them?

CarverJerry
09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I checked with 2 different people who do end mill sharpening and once they seen how small the carving bit was they said they didn't want to fuss with it. These guys do it for a living, BTW this is Ohio and a very industrial area with many machine shops. I just think it's not worth their time to mess with them.

CJ

liquidguitars
09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I think Jeff had a lead on sharpening them at one time. I have over 20 I would send out if the price was right.

dltccf
09-15-2011, 09:54 PM
how many hours do you get on average out of a carving bit? I assume there is a difference per wood type.

Lloyd
09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
I have close to 200 hours on my carving bit. It is the original bit that came with the machine (about 300 hours on the machine) I have found that the 60 & 90 degree bits dull faster that the carving bit,

msseaduty
12-21-2011, 10:00 PM
what kind of wood are you carving that you can get 200 hrs on one bit , i usually get 15 hr cutting oak

lawrence
12-21-2011, 11:35 PM
I was recently thinking about upgrading to a new bit as I assumed mine was dull from oak, mesquite, and maple. However, upon closer inspection my bit was only dirty. A quick soak in some bit cleaner followed by a vigorous tooth brushing made it good as new.

I'm just short of 100 hours, mostly on very hard woods with no sign of a dulling bit. I agree on the 60 and 90 degree bits-- however since I switched to this bit
http://www.amazon.com/CMT-858-501-11-Cutting-Diameter-16-Inch/dp/B000P4JOOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324532155&sr=8-1

I've had no problems-- it works VERY well

Lawrence

easybuilt
12-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks Lawrence! That one looks great, I needed a new 60 so I just ordered one with free delivery. Tired of switching it between machines. I get my 60 and 90 sharpened locally but when I sent in the carving bits they returned them and said, "we don't do these".

msseaduty
12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
i dont have that much luck with the bits after about 8 hrs of carving it looks like the tip of the bit is burnt , and even after cleaning the bits they still look like they are over heating , could the cut motor be slower and causeing the tip to over heat and cause it to dull faster

liquidguitars
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
i dont have that much luck with the bits after about 8 hrs of carving it looks like the tip of the bit is burnt

I would look at your chuck and if you do not own the CT it's time as you should get more like 200 hrs on carbide before stressing.

Capt Bruce
12-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I've been searching for about 2 years but have not found a source yet to re-sharpen the 1/16" carving bits. Mine seem to last about 3-5 months before I see curling edges along the cut edge of the wood. Usually my best signal that the edge is dulling. I commonly sharpen my own 60 and 90 degree bits on a diamond sharpening plate but I have not tried doing the same on the 1/16". Would be nice to find a method.

It seems like you'd only be dealing with about the first 2 or 3/32" where 90% of the cutting is really done so I guess I'll give it a try with some before and after cut lines. Open to any suggestions team.

PCW
12-23-2011, 06:07 AM
I have hear this company sharpens the carving bits. Might want to give them a call.
http://www.sumnerwoodworkerstore.com/

Sumner Woodworker Store
908 Cherry Ave.
Sumner, WA 98390
253-891-941

easybuilt
12-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks but that is where I do take my 60 and 90 but they sent in my carving bits and were told that the carving bits can't be sharpened. I was surprised because the man that picks up the bits told me no problem. Thanks again for trying.

Jeff_Birt
12-23-2011, 08:25 AM
The problem is that it takes a complicated/expensive CNC grinding machine to make/sharpen this type of bit. It is likely not worth the amount of time it would take to set up the machine to sharpen one or two bits. I thought about offering a trade in program, collecting a few hundred bits at a time to have sharpened. Not only was the amount of time required to do this daunting but since there are bits of questionable quality (poor quality carbide) being hawked on fleabay now I could never guarantee that someone would be getting back a good quality bit.

I do have sets of two and five 1/16" bits on sale now though :p

msseaduty
12-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Jeff, are you selling the bits at a discount if you order 2 or a set of 5 if so i will order some later

Jeff_Birt
12-24-2011, 08:39 PM
PreciseBits is adding a slightly longer shank to their tapered tools so they all have the same overall length. I bought up some of the last of the shorter style (same size as what comes with the machine) and have them on sale. Take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/PreciseBits_Tapered_Carving_Tools-details.aspx . Please direct any other questions about the bits to me via a PM (I don't want to be rude and advertise too much on the forum.)

ktjwilliams
12-25-2011, 12:03 AM
I put some oil on a small diamond stone I have,, I touch up the leading edges just a bit,, 3 or 4 strokes,,, And the bit cuts marvelous..

bergerud
12-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I think you are on to something Kevin. I have been experimenting with an ultra fine diamond "stone" on old carbide bits while looking under a microscope. The hard part is the tip. It is pretty easy to tune up the main edge. Since very little material needs to be removed, I think you can just rub the bit flat on the stone without worry about the angle. I'll bet one could get away with a few of these tune ups before any serious change in geometry would occur.

I think this certainly deserves some looking into. Maybe some small jig would help. Good one Kevin.

AskBud
12-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I think you are on to something Kevin. I have been experimenting with an ultra fine diamond "stone" on old carbide bits while looking under a microscope. The hard part is the tip. It is pretty easy to tune up the main edge. Since very little material needs to be removed, I think you can just rub the bit flat on the stone without worry about the angle. I'll bet one could get away with a few of these tune ups before any serious change in geometry would occur.

I think this certainly deserves some looking into. Maybe some small jig would help. Good one Kevin.Remember that the cutting edge (front) is higher than the back. You want the angle (clearance) so the bit has less chance of burning the wood.
AskBud

CarverJerry
12-25-2011, 01:48 PM
AskBud is correct, the primary cutting edge can be touched up but if too much is removed then the secondary angle will start to rub and the wood will just burn. Do a google search on end mill sharpening.

kcc2012
06-06-2014, 03:44 PM
I know this is an old thread but I found a company through a Google search that might be able to sharpen the bit's I haven't contacted them yet. I plan to next week. here is the link to their page. http://www.mtgtool.com/

lovejoys
06-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Hello, I have a company that re-sharpens my bits. They have a minimum order. They will only do the 1/16th carving bits. So, what I am offering is a bit exchange. You would send me your old bits and I will send you re-sharpened bits. If they are sent with adapters, they will come back with the same kind of adapters. You will not receive the exact bits back as I have a large stock of re-sharpened bits on hand. This eliminates the turn-a-round time. You will handle the shipping to us and we will handle the shipping back to you, US shipping addresses only. I am asking for a minimum order of 5 bits per mailing. Each re-sharpened bit is $20. If you wish to contact us for more information, please send a PM through here. Thank you

chebytrk
06-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Sounds a bit expensive for used re sharpened bits. Keep in mind that after paying $20 + shipping, that can be very close to a brand new bit. Just my opinion..

Hello, I have a company that re-sharpens my bits. They have a minimum order. They will only do the 1/16th carving bits. So, what I am offering is a bit exchange. You would send me your old bits and I will send you re-sharpened bits. If they are sent with adapters, they will come back with the same kind of adapters. You will not receive the exact bits back as I have a large stock of re-sharpened bits on hand. This eliminates the turn-a-round time. You will handle the shipping to us and we will handle the shipping back to you, US shipping addresses only. I am asking for a minimum order of 5 bits per mailing. Each re-sharpened bit is $20. If you wish to contact us for more information, please send a PM through here. Thank you

SteveNelson46
06-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Sounds a bit expensive for used re sharpened bits. Keep in mind that after paying $20 + shipping, that can be very close to a brand new bit. Just my opinion..

You have to send him 5 old bits in exchange for re-sharpened ones. If they last as long as a new bit it sounds like a pretty good deal as long as they are sharpened along the flutes also. 5 bits at $20 each plus shipping ($10?) equals $110. The problem is that I don't have 5 old bits. I've just been throwing them away.

lovejoys
06-16-2014, 02:07 PM
shipping in a flat rate box is only $5.95 and you can get 40 plus bit if you have them
new bit are running $30.00-$40.00 plus shipping

chebytrk
06-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Oops sorry .. my bad. I agree, that does sound like a very good deal on the bits. Time to start digging around for my old ones.

CNC Carver
06-16-2014, 02:38 PM
How many times can they be resharpened? Are they marked so you will not end up with ones that have been resharpened too many times and send them out to a different user. Just thinking aloud. Sounds good so far.

Jeff

rickyz
06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
think I'll have to see how many old ones I've got...sounds like a good deal....

lovejoys
06-16-2014, 03:08 PM
The max is 3 time and yes we do mark them.
if we get a bit that has been done we will not ship it out or even try to re sharpen it again.

CNC Carver
06-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Great. Then we can also know the life we have left.
The max is 3 time and yes we do mark them.
if we get a bit that has been done we will not ship it out or even try to re sharpen it again.

bergerud
06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
A customer might be pissed if he sends in a pile of virgin bits and gets back ones that have been sharpened a few times already. I assume you will keep track of that as well. What about chipped bits?

unitedcases
06-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I am going to jump on this one. I have been private messaging Lovejoy and think we have a system worked out. I have tons of dull bits. Also I will be shipping them to him in the original cases so time to start saving those as well.

lovejoys
06-17-2014, 08:24 AM
we are going to mark each bit that come in if you send me number 0 you will get number 1 back
if you send number 1 in you will get number 2 back and so on

I am not recommend you send number 3 in that will be up to you guys

I have been working on this for over 3 month and running the bits for 2 month
it is not a great deal for the guys that only use 1-2 bits every 3 months I get that.

again this is for the ones of us using a lot of bits every month

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a sound plan.... :)

AL