PDA

View Full Version : Centerline text in a pocket recess

SteveNelson46
09-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Has anyone developed a technique to cut centerline text in a poclet recess? I know you can do it in a carve region using the conform feature but, this doesn' t seem to work in a pocket. For example, draw recessed region by using concentric circles and assign a straight cutting bit and depth. Centerline text doesn't seem to work in this region even though the conform box is checked.

fwharris
09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Post an example mpc to look at.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
I have tried to do that and you're right ... no go. Maybe someone else has figured out a way to make it work.

SteveNelson46
09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Post an example mpc to look at.

Here is an example of a 6 inch recess using the 1/2 inch straight bit.

myshop1044
09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Steve, I have gone thru this in a disscusion at the conference with Jason and we come up the Idea to create a rect. region just around the text area first, then go thru the circles with the straight bit, same depth as the region and then the text should appear because the confoming v will not work unless you are in a region ,not a drill function or recess function.
I wanted to do the same thing with text in the bottom of some coasters.
Try it
Perry

fwharris
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Steve, I have gone thru this in a disscusion at the conference with Jason and we come up the Idea to create a rect. region just around the text area first, then go thru the circles with the straight bit, same depth as the region and then the text should appear because the confoming v will not work unless you are in a region ,not a drill function or recess function.
I wanted to do the same thing with text in the bottom of some coasters.
Try it
Perry

Perry,

Yes that worked after putting a circle carve region around the largest circle...

myshop1044
09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey floyd. I took a second look at this and here is another way. do the rect. region with a 1/8 feather so you take out as much of the wood with the carving bit,
then reduce the circles by 3/8" dia. that way the 1/2" bit will have some overlap and will not leave wood lines between any btwn the circles. Then the text should be last and work well, I think.

Perry

SteveNelson46
09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Perry

I'm trying to do some coasters also. I've attached the .mpc so you can see what I'm trying to do. The carve region is not very big (3.25 inches) but, if I could do it without a carve region it cuts the carve time down considerably.

Kenm810
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I played with it a bit also by adding the rectangle mentioned above

DLG
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Here is another variation on a method mentioned before. My CAD software has an option to export DXF in 'graphic mode'. It brings text across as polylines. Depending on the font it either outlines the font or brings it in as single stroke. It has a minor problem that it drops random line segments when outlining and the characters are broken into random elements. See the attached MPC with the alphabet in upper and lower single stroke characters. I ran a vector line cut through each row showing the depth affect.

myshop1044
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Steve without changing your orignal project, the simple fact is Conforming V want work without a region.
Another way to maybe to reduce time is to redraw your ship using the drawing tools and remove all that noise,I call it,
from around the sails. Once you redraw the main parts of the ship , apply a 60 deg bit maybe 1/32 deep.
You will still have to have a region for the circle, but the rest of the ship and text will be faster using confroming vectors.
Another idea is to remove the region and place your ship(with vector lines) directly on the top of the coaster along with the text.
This is the way I do all me coasters now. I can do some simple letter ones in 12 min. each and that is for 4 at a time.
check out my web site for the coasters.

SteveNelson46
09-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Perry

You have some pretty nice stuff on your website. I enjoyed browsing through all of your projects.

I haven't carved the coaster with the clipper ship on the MPC I posted. It was just the one I was playing around with at the time and the only coaster project I had with just one coaster. You're right, it's too busy to carve. I tried to clean it up a bit but, even that turned into more than I wanted to do so I will probably abandon it.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Perry, I had forgotten about that ... I think that is going to be about the only way to get it done.