PDA

View Full Version : Texture libraries ...

Ron Smith
01-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Has anyone else used the textures from www.grsites.com here? I have been taking some and putting them through photoshop and they've been coming out fairly well in the designer software. Some need tweaked more than others, but it looks like it will be worth it. I'm going to carve some samples tomorrow, since it's too late tonight. I'll post what I find out. Wish me luck.

Ron

Jon Jantz
01-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Ron, I've tried some of these textures off the internet and haven't been real happy with the results.

The depth map, or the way the colors are done, are not proper for importing into Carvewright and getting the correct look. A normal picture does not bring in the right depths of grayscale to look right in Designer.

I've attached a few pics to explain what I mean.

The first and second pics are the piece of diamondplate you posted here, imported straight into Designer... I had the same problem with it that I've had with the ones I've tried. The shadows and shades are wrong to get the right look, and all the low-res and dirtiness of the background make for a rough texture.

The last pic is a diamondplate texture that I drew from scratch in CorelDraw. Able to have a clean background with bumps that rise up like real diamondplate...

I am starting to get a few textures I've made from scratch... might have to share them here..

Ron Smith
01-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Ron, I've tried some of these textures off the internet and haven't been real happy with the results.

The depth map, or the way the colors are done, are not proper for importing into Carvewright and getting the correct look. A normal picture does not bring in the right depths of grayscale to look right in Designer.

I know what you mean Jon. I've had to be very selective and pick through the textures to find any that I think are worthy. I always take them to Corel for grayscale and work on them before trying them in the Designer for CarveWright. I haven't found very many, those two were just a couple to show what might be available. There are lots of other textures out there, but few good ones. I'd like to see some of your good ones.
Thanks,
Ron

Jeff_Birt
01-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I grabbed one of the greyscale wood grain looking textures off the site above, tiled it, added a little mesh warp and then imported it into Designer. It didn't come out too bad. I've attached it so everyone can try it out.

Bill
01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Try this one

Jon Jantz
01-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Here is my diamond plate pattern I've made up...

TIP: Set your height on it to about 33. It's too tall at 100.

Jeff_Birt
01-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I had a scap of pine laying aorund so I carved a quick sample of these two textures. I had the carved out regions a little too deep (0.25") and should have turned on feathering on as the inner edges got a bit chewd up. I also streched out the diamond plate a bit too much to fit the region, but all in all I thought it came out good.

Ron Smith
01-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I think all of these are looking pretty good. You guys do a great job. Here's one I'm playing with to get the really rough wood look. You guys can probably make it a lot better.

pkunk
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
I think all of these are looking pretty good. You guys do a great job. Here's one I'm playing with to get the really rough wood look. You guys can probably make it a lot better.
Now there's one that would work as real barnwood is not regular/flat enough to carve! :)

Tony Merlocco
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM
This is my very first post in this forum. I've just recently bought my machine and rushed to make the first carving with it. IMPRESSIVE!

I wanted to thank you guys for posting textures and sharing those. I will add them to my library and try them at the first oportunity.

VERY GENEROUS OF YOU ALL! :)

I'm looking forward to more conversation and will try to collect my own for sharing here.

Thanks again!
Tony