PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to cnsranch

oldjoe
09-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to thank Jerry for the saddle rack idea. Have sold a couple not getting near enough for them but it is a start in the right dirrection.
Been along time since I posted anything but just though you would want to see it. I just hope the picture shows up. The rack was not finished yet when I took the pic.

cnsranch
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
You're very welcome - it's nice to know that I've been able to give back a little, considering what I've taken from the Forum over the last few years.

One question - how much are you getting for them?

Ropdoc
09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Cool Project, just one thing ... Can I see more pics of it? Like a side view?

jaroot
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes very nice! I even know a couple of people with horses that I could one for.

oldjoe
09-14-2011, 08:35 PM
I almost don't want to say because if I publish it you all will sell your machines have me do the work while you sit on the beaches sipping umbrella drinks. But I only get $55 for it. I am just trying to get my foot in the door right now to see if they would even sell and I was not sure how long it took to make one. But now that I know all the costs I am getting together with some local friends that have horses to come up with a fairer price for me.
Thanks for the good comments I will take pictures of my next one when it is done.

b.sumner47
09-15-2011, 02:20 PM
oldjoe, I for one think your price will probaly go up sometime in the near future, good idea to get your work know first. Capt Barry

eelamb
09-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Oldjoe nice work on the saddle rack, now go to this web site and see what they are going for.

http://grandpaspastime.com/Saddle_Stands.aspx

Ropdoc
09-16-2011, 08:24 AM
WOW !!! You charge $55 for a $400 unit. You can't even make enuff to cover materials. I have friends here in CA with Horses. This would be an awesome gift for one who is a Pastor. Where can I go to get dimensions? I am not a rider or owner.

cnsranch
09-16-2011, 09:27 AM
I agree - these should be $400-$500 projects.

I was at the Kansas State Fair over the weekend, and stands put together with staples were going for $125.00

Here's my original thread with some basic dimensions - as we all know, a carve looks better the bigger it's carved - this type of project makes the carve look super.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17153-Latest-Project

oldjoe
09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
$400 I wonder does Grandpa sell many and does he have a carvewright or what does he use.
Thank for all the advice I will be raising the price.

eelamb
09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Oldjoe, if you look at his site he makes patterns, and I believe he is part of the cw store.

Ropdoc
09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I live in Ca. and there are lots of riders here. I have never sold anything especially a carving. I was looking at the photos of one of my pastors who rides and saw that he stores his saddle on a saw horse. So this project seems like it would be popular. Would it be in bad taste to call the different supply and feed stores trying to sell this Saddle rack? I could even put one rack on their sales floor with the option to make each one custom built. Putting specific carve on it. Is this a good idea?

Thank you,
Dave

LittleRedWoodshop
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Very nice project and I agree that your price is waaaayyy to low. I have experienced that it is possible to START HIGH and lower your prices but once people get you on a lowball price they very rarely want to go any higher. Please do yourself a favor and raise your prices ...

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I live in Ca. and there are lots of riders here. I have never sold anything especially a carving. I was looking at the photos of one of my pastors who rides and saw that he stores his saddle on a saw horse. So this project seems like it would be popular. Would it be in bad taste to call the different supply and feed stores trying to sell this Saddle rack? I could even put one rack on their sales floor with the option to make each one custom built. Putting specific carve on it. Is this a good idea?

Thank you,
Dave

Not bad taste at all....just plain old good marketing idea!!!

oldjoe
09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
There is a guy in N D that would like 3 of them for just that purpose he sells saddles and would like to use them to display the saddles. So yes it is off to all the Tack store to see what I can do. And yes the price is going up.

Kenm810
09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Nice Lookin Project OldJoe,

Just a thought, --I’ve sold a lot of Art Dispaly stands to Art Studios, Galleries, and Museums, and always carried a couple photo albums of units I build and offer.
A couple of years ago I built a few miniature display stand to carry with me along with the Photo albums when I made my sales stops.
The first day I took them with me, two of my clients bought the units I had with me plus ordered a couple more as Counter Displays
of the full sized Art Stands I build for them.
If you do start calling on Tack Stores and Shops, I wonder if a couple styles of miniature Saddle Racks you could build and carry with you along with your photos,
might help make a sale or two for you, --- Like I said Just a thought.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow Ken ... that is an AWESOME idea. I have learned (since my move to the great state of Kentucky) that there is a group of Miniature saddle collectors.

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/mini_s10.jpg

Ropdoc
09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Hello guys,

I have hit a really low point in my life. But this idea of building and selling something like a Saddle rack has really got me going. I really want to thank you guys for this.:mrgreen:

Dave

b.sumner47
09-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Dave,

You've got some friend's here. Talk anytime. Capt Barry

Ropdoc
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your patience

b.sumner47
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Ropdoc,
Anything new to report on your progress with the saddle display ? Capt Barry

Ropdoc
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I was working on locating a piece of 2x14. But got to expensive, So I am going to glue up 1x8 doubled. I started cutting parts. I am also working on tooling so I can drill holes in the boards that go around the outer edge consistantly. It would be awesome if I was able to make some money off of stuff like this.

Thank you for checking in on me.

Dave

chebytrk
09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Way to go Old Joe! It looks great! Hope you make a bunch of money.

JerryB using Tapatalk

b.sumner47
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
What you don't sell today, we save for tomorrow. Capt Barry

cnsranch
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Dave (or anyone else, for that matter).......

If it helps, here are the mpc's I made for the face and backside of the stand I built......(watch those lines I drew for reference for cutting the sides out though - I fine tuned them once I had the project carved - just wanted to ensure that I had enough wood left to finish the design)

The faces are simply two 2x8's, run through the table saw (didn't bother with the jointer), edge glued, and carved. I did waste 7" of wood on each end (after all, it's a 2x8, ) but I used most of the scrap for the plugs.

The original design was made to be "less than perfect" - what I mean is that I wasn't concerned with the edges being perfectly jointed, etc (although my table saw does a really good job). Quite frankly, the project turned out better than I expected.

I used nothing but 2x8's, and 1x4's for the project - cheapest stuff at Home Depot - whitewood and pine - after all, it does hold a just saddle.

I probably don't have $25 in material in it (labor, though is something else!)

Le me know if I can help in any way - it's so good to hear that you're getting so much out of the project, Dave.

mtylerfl
09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
...Quite frankly, the project turned out better than I expected.

That turned out great! Super job on layout, design and finish!

Ropdoc
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Awesome, Thank you some much Jerry. I have the base done. Hope to start on the Saddle portion tonight. I am building my first one using older wood. To work out the bugs. I was going to glue up 1x8 2 deep. It made since in my brain. I don't have a table saw but I can probly rip a 2x8 to be 14-1/4" wide instead.

My mom allways told me to keep the Horse shoe ends pointing up. That way the Good luck doesn't run out. LOL Can I change your MPC to reflect that?

Thank you all again for your patience and time.

Dave

cnsranch
09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
You bet, Dave.

Re turning the horseshoe - unfortunately, the horse's head and the shoe are one pattern - you turn the shoe, the horse's head will be upside down.

The two patterns I used were from Dan (PCW) and John (JPaluck) - I don't remember which of them created the shoe - but if you PM each of them, you'll find out.

They're both great guys - I'm pretty sure that whoever designed the pattern will turn it for you.

eelamb
09-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Dave I have a pattern in my store with the shoe the right way. Click link below, it is under patterns-animals.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
In some cultures, it is hung points down (so the luck pours onto you); others, it's hung points up (so the luck doesn't fall out).

eelamb
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Jason is right I said it wrong, The one I made is for keeping the luck in.:)

LittleRedWoodshop
09-27-2011, 07:26 PM
First I want to say Thank You to everyone here ... it is threads like this that inspire me - since my move to Kentucky I have been trying to find something that would sell here. I have plans to build some Tack Boxes with carved panels, but it is a lot of work and an initial investment that I am not able to make at this time. Soooooo, I m reading this thread about saddle stands and Dahhhhhhhhh, Big Red Truck. ... Saddle Stands might be it.

I was searching for plans on the internet and ran into this set of directions for a simple saddle stand, it can be put in a box - FLAT - shipping and the customer can assemble it on the other end ... please click on the images to download the information that I have on each plan. Both would be easy plans for the CarveWright - I will be carving the leg sections. NOTE: I have not built either of these .... they are pics that I borrowed off of the internet.

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/saddle10.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/emfidlsudjppc7q/Assembling a Saddle Stand.docx)

The stand above is selling for $280 (built from hardwoods) and the one below is selling for $200.

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/200_bu10.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/mvshcz1vmrl5d6m/200 bucks w measurements.zip)

b.sumner47
09-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Jason, Those are some real nice saddle stands. Good luck with a new product line. Capt Barry

Ropdoc
09-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Thank you for all the options. I know I keep saying this ... but ... this is an awesome forum. Friendly, helpful and lots of willingness to share.

dltccf
09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I have been thinking about making one for my wife also. I like the bottom one with the matching grooming box insert. Hmmm.

First I want to say Thank You to everyone here ... it is threads like this that inspire me - since my move to Kentucky I have been trying to find something that would sell here. I have plans to build some Tack Boxes with carved panels, but it is a lot of work and an initial investment that I am not able to make at this time. Soooooo, I m reading this thread about saddle stands and Dahhhhhhhhh, Big Red Truck. ... Saddle Stands might be it.

I was searching for plans on the internet and ran into this set of directions for a simple saddle stand, it can be put in a box - FLAT - shipping and the customer can assemble it on the other end ... please click on the images to download the information that I have on each plan. Both would be easy plans for the CarveWright - I will be carving the leg sections. NOTE: I have not built either of these .... they are pics that I borrowed off of the internet.

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/saddle10.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/emfidlsudjppc7q/Assembling%20a%20Saddle%20Stand.docx)

The stand above is selling for $280 (built from hardwoods) and the one below is selling for $200.

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/200_bu10.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/mvshcz1vmrl5d6m/200%20bucks%20w%20measurements.zip)

LittleRedWoodshop
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
If you click on the image it will download a zip file with some measurements in it.

Ropdoc
09-29-2011, 09:50 AM

Hello folks - This is what I have so far in designs based on what you shared. Do they look ok ? I am currently creating the detail drawing for manufacture. They are 30" tall, 22" deep, and around 14" wide.

Dave

cnsranch
09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Couple thoughts.....

Your pic 3 is closest to the one I designed.....

You may want to consider making the bottom shelf support's sides flush with the interior of the stand's end pieces - it makes the shelf narrower, but the fit and finish is cleaner.

One thing I originally planned on doing was to add some way of allowing the user to hang their bridles, etc. on the end pieces, beneath the upper part of the stand (perhaps a dowel or two). Once completed, there really wasn't room to do that. Your 2x4 support piece along the top give the user a way to hang those items - you could also add those dowels along that 2x4 if you choose.

Your first two designs are obviously simpler, but they give you much more surface area for carvings/personalization, etc., and that's where the value added part of what you're trying to do comes in - the more detailed carvings, etc., the higher you can price them - they end up being something that a person simply can't get anywhere else.

Another piece of advice - look for a type of finish that's as hard as possible - on the one hand, you're using a soft wood that is easily scratched, marred, etc. However, the piece is something that can be used pretty hard - tossing a heavy saddle on it, dragging stirrups over the top, etc. Back in the day, you could find a basketball floor finish at Home Depot - I can't find it any longer, so I used a poly floor finish - supposed to be much harder than regular poly - we'll see. Word of mouth is the best way to get more business, and if your stands aren't holding up under use, a potential customer might not be impressed when they see one "in the field".

Ropdoc
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Thank you for the Awesome advice Jerry. I have a floor finish that I am hoping to use. I wanted the first one to be unstained just natural finish. I am hoping to find a goof medium hardness wood that is 12" wide. As I said earlier this is all new to me. I never took wood working seriuos because of my skill. But now that I met you guys I feel I can make a good attempt at it. As long as the wife gives me money to buy the materials. LOL. And if this stuff can sell, she will be really happy.

I am going to adjust my drawing to move the Shelf sideds inwards. I was looking at that feature as a support feature with a shelf as a bonus.

cnsranch
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Here's a trick - design your project around the wood available - here's what I mean.....

I used 1x4 white wood for the slats on the top, and for the sides of the bottom shelf. Lesson - don't make your slats wider, or the sides of the shelf taller (wider) than 4".

I used 1x8 white wood for the bottom of the shelf, and the sides of the stand (1x8 is more like 7.25"). Lesson - don't make the sides or shelf wider than 7.25".

I used (as I recall) a 2x6 for the front and back. A 2x6 is more like 5.25". Get a cleanly cut edge (I recall your saying you don't have a jointer or table saw) on three 2x6's, and edge glue them together. Now you have a piece that's 2x15 (or so). Cut that piece to the length and width you want to carve in the machine. (If you look real close to the pic of my stand, you can see where the pieces were joined together).

DO NOT try to find a piece of wood 12" wide - a single piece that wide will eventually cup and/or warp, and since it will be screwed into the stand, it will split.

And, it will be really expensive.

Ropdoc
09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Jerry,

I adjusted the Shelf. 47653 I understand your meaning of design around standard size material. That was the other reason the shelf was outside. I tried to keep it as simple for me as possible. The only custom cut board is the end pieces. That is going to be 2x8 glued and cut to size for the Carvewright.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-29-2011, 04:22 PM
those plans look nice ... any plans on sharing them

eelamb
09-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Dave, I am curious what program you are using to make the images you show. If you do not mind telling me, I like the way it looks.

Ropdoc
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I would love to share the plans. I just want to make sure they are ready. And the software I am using is Solidworks.

eelamb
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks, I know if it, but never used solidworks.

Ropdoc
09-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Once you get used to it it is a great program. I use it at work.

bayea
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I like this one. especially if it had locking casters on the bottom, saddles can be darn heavy.
do you think it is sturdy enough to sit on?
For me the stand needs to be much wider. I have really big horses.. . . :D
I also like the round hook thingie in the front for bridles. It could stick out a bit farther, too narrow and the bridle just falls off.

I like the smaller box too. great for brushes, fly spray and stuff. . . . .

b.sumner47
09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Jerry. You came up with a unique project. Well Done ! Thanks, Capt Barry

Ropdoc
09-30-2011, 07:48 AM
I like this one. especially if it had locking casters on the bottom, saddles can be darn heavy.
do you think it is sturdy enough to sit on?

If you were to sit on it, I would want to beef up the lumber used. Plus I wouls want legs of the base of it to help prevent it from tipping.

For me the stand needs to be much wider. I have really big horses.. . . :D
I also like the round hook thingie in the front for bridles. It could stick out a bit farther, too narrow and the bridle just falls off.

Can you supply the length of your largest saddle? The cool thing about this project is that it is completely customizable.

Dan-Woodman
09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Bayea
That one pictured would be much stronger if the slats were resting on top of the end boards. As it is they are relying on the srews for strctural support and it weakens the slat by having screws in the endgrain.
later Daniel

Ropdoc
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
That one pictured would be much stronger if the slats were resting on top of the end boards. As it is they are relying on the srews for strctural support and it weakens the slat by having screws in the endgrain.

Great point. But an easy fix. If someone wants to sit on the Saddle rack, we just reposition the boards on top and change them to 1x4 instead of 1x2. We could even cutout a horsehead with reins for the rider. We could even change the botton to have rockers and lower it so the Center of Gravity is lower. HUM ... sounds like another option.

Ropdoc
10-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Hello all,

I need to confirm the dimensions. I made it 30" tall from ground to top, 22'' deep from front to back, and 14.5" inches wide. It looked great on paper ... but, as I build it boy is it low to the ground. Are these the right dimensions ?

cnsranch
10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Sounds close - I can get you some measurements from mine, but I can't get them to you until tomorrow.

oldjoe
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Those are almost the identical demensions I use on the ones I build.

Ropdoc
10-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Ok, Thank you. I got one the Top end pieces carved. Now to sand while the other carves.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I am like an expectant father (waiting to see pics of this project) ... since my move I have had very limited access to carving (still looking for some shop space). Sometimes I set up in my brothers driveway or occasionally in my nieces garage ... but it's not like being able to walk into the shop and go to work. I guess I am living vicariously through you guys, thanks, it keeps me from going into withdrawals .... LOL

jaroot
10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
... since my move I have had very limited access to carving

Some day you'll have to 'splain the move. :)

I know what its like trying to find shop space. I had to enclose a one-car carport for any work shop at all and I have to share that with a bunch of junk that we really need to just get rid of.

guido5286
10-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Same here I took our storage building and made a makeshift workshop out of it. I run everything from a dropcord to. I'm waiting on my tax check to come in so I can run power to the building and then I will have to clean out the junk after that. One day I will have a workshop though.

chebytrk
10-04-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm getting power out my shed soon too. I purchased a 14x20 a couple of months ago and day after tomorrow they're coming to run electricity to it. Got me a AC/Heater unit and getting insulation and dry wall put up also. May as well get it all done so as not to mess with it anymore. Can hardly wait for the guys to get started on it. Any pointers on how to set things up is appreciated. I'm thinking of making a table top all around the inside about 3ft high (with a/c plugs about every 2 1/2 ft.) Gonna put my DC (1hp) next to the door so I don't have to take it far to empty it.

Ropdoc
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
If you saw my workspace you would cringe. It is so small. I have to move things fromn one side to the other so I can work. When I get past the shame I will post a pic.

But that takes me to my question. Are there strip malls that a person can rent (cheap) to work and play out of?

LittleRedWoodshop
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Don't be ashamed - my workshop is a 5x10 box trailer .... I moved out of a 24x36 - 2 story barn (miss it).

As for the move ... my parents have both passed and most of my family has moved away from my hometown. Moving here allowed us to be much closer to my wifes family and friends and my oldest brother. I have a much better support system here it just sucks having to look for workspace (to bad I can't transplant the barn).

We have been looking into purchasing a prefab building - we just need to find somewhere to park it.

ibewiggin
10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I may have missed it. Where did you move to? Before we moved to our current location, I had a little 10x10 pre-fab shop with a loft. It was better than nothing, but you can design your own. It would be built better,be bigger, and cost less. The pre-fab one I got, do not include roofing materials, paint, foundation of any sort, 2x3 studs, and the framing is very minimal.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I have moved to Lexington, Kentucky - there is an overwhelming amount of work to be found here, I just need to find somewhere to work.

cnsranch
10-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Some measurements, fellas....

LittleRedWoodshop
10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Thank you Jerry ... looks good

dbfletcher
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
That's pretty kewl how your got your cad program to throw on dimensions to make it look hand-written! *smirk*

lynnfrwd
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Saw one of these in my dad's barn this weekend. (Is it called a saddle horse?) It was made the same as this on the top, I remembered reading about that here and checked for that, but the brace across the bottom was not substantial enough. It rocked back and forth, so I was afraid to move it. I'll bet it and the saddle are as old or older than I am. My parents haven't owned a horse, since I was in the 4th grade.

My oldest son was helping us and he likes that show on cable called "American Pickers". He was in awe of all of the things my parents have in that barn and it's not even an old barn. He said, if I ever become "a picker" this is the first place i'm pickin'!

dbfletcher
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Somewhere on this forum, one of our members ran in to Frank Fritz on the road and got their picture taken with him (it was posted here a while back). I dont remember who or even what the thread was called, but that is a good show.

found it!!! http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16207-Funny-who-you-bump-into....&p=137669#post137669

LittleRedWoodshop
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Man - my hair looks like a lost a bet - ohhhh I did.

cnsranch
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
That's pretty kewl how your got your cad program to throw on dimensions to make it look hand-written! *smirk*

Redneck add-on.

Ropdoc
10-06-2011, 09:16 AM
47808 Ok so I am putting it out there for you guys to see. This is my shop. I have to constantly move stuff out of my way to work. BUT it is my sancuary. At least it keeps my wife out of my space. She refusses to come out there because it is so dusty and stuff. She wants to go in and throw everything away. Maybe we should start a post on "Lets see your shop" or something.

dbfletcher
10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Now thats a shop! Actually not so different from mine. I always cringe when I see posting of people work areas that look way way cleaner then even my kitchen. I'll admit it... i'm a slob.

Ropdoc
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Oh, wow, thats a huge relief. I was thinking that I was an outcast because I had a horrible workspace.

ibewiggin
10-06-2011, 10:50 AM
My workplace is just as messy. Mine is pretty good sized and still messy. You know it is bad when you go to take a picture of your project, you lay a blanket over the top of your pile of tools then set your project on the blanket.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Just a few pics of what I left behind in Illinois. I hope my wife knows how much I love her. Sometimes I want to go outside and kick my own A$$ .... .

oldjoe
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I love to work in clutter my garage\shop is such a disorganized mess. Then when I do get the urge to straighten things up a little I can't find anything.

Ropdoc
10-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Opps sorry I had to wipe the drool from my shirt. Now that is a shop I don't know if I would know what to do there. Just makes thing to easy. I am very sorry that you had to leave it. I grew up in Maroa Ill. on a farm. Boy if I would have known then what I know now. We had a barn that was huge and EMPTY.

jaroot
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Hey... how did you get a picture of my shop? ;)

47808 Ok so I am putting it out there for you guys to see. This is my shop. I have to constantly move stuff out of my way to work. BUT it is my sancuary. At least it keeps my wife out of my space. She refusses to come out there because it is so dusty and stuff. She wants to go in and throw everything away. Maybe we should start a post on "Lets see your shop" or something.

cnsranch
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Sometimes I want to go outside and kick my own A$$ .... .

Y'know, I bet you could sell tickets and raise enough money to build a new shop :)