PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to do with a CW but some really cool wood art

CarverJerry
09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I went to our local Oktoberfest today and this guy was showing me how he did his Thunder Art. It was really cool and could give someone some extra design to a carving. This is his web page.... http://www.thunderwoodarts.com/ doesn't show close up work but was really neat looking. He sorta explains how he does it on the web site but in person he explained it to me in detail, I think I'm going to give it a try.

CJ

gregsolano
09-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Looks really cool, I am waiting to see your first Thunder art.

edzbaker
09-14-2011, 12:54 PM
It's a process that can turn out to be "Shocking" if care is not taken. I have used that process on some of the canes that I have made over the years. My Dad used to do it for fun when I was a kid, and I learned the process by watching him do it. I use a 15,000 volt transformer.
Most of the time the result is very nice, and it definately makes for a "One of a Kind" piece, every time.

lynnfrwd
09-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Awww goodness...you guys be careful!

TerryT
09-14-2011, 01:04 PM
It's a process that can turn out to be "Shocking" if care is not taken. I have used that process on some of the canes that I have made over the years. My Dad used to do it for fun when I was a kid, and I learned the process by watching him do it. I use a 15,000 volt transformer.
Most of the time the result is very nice, and it definately makes for a "One of a Kind" piece, every time.

That reminds me of my high school electronics class. We would draw a picture outline with a pencil on a piece of wood then hit it with an very high voltage neon light transformer and use the electricity to cut out the pattern. Fun stuff.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
That is awesome ...

CarverJerry
09-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Want to say thanks to Terry for the input using a pencil, just more ideas to play with. I'm in search of a 12K volt neon sign transformer, was out bid on eBay but think I may have found a chance for one at a local bar that they don't use any more. When I do I will post pictures. Oh and that cane......love it.

CJ

lawrence
09-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Have fun and be safe guys... holy smokes talk about risk versus reward!

Lawrence

Sallen1215
09-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Check with your local HVAC or mechanical companies for their junk piles, i think an Oil furnace burner transformer will do the same job, Will take a little more DIY talent, but this whole thing is not for the faint of heart.They may even give it to you for free. I used one last october to make a Jacobs ladder effect for a Halloween party.

Just a thought from a HVAC technician

Stephen

Chay
09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Real cool, How about an old welding machine you can probably pick a small one up cheap and you can control the amperage.
I would sure like to know how to do it.
Do you just make pencil marks and run the power through them?