PDA

View Full Version : me again

ibewiggin
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Ok, so since I had my flexshaft melt, I started really doing some comparison between my two machines. And really analyzing the one that melted, I know that the flexshaft getting hot can damage the bearings, in the chuck. Well, could the bearings being bad cause the flexshaft to heat up to that point. Cause the bearings seem to bind a little, and when I start to think about the way it sounded when running their may have been a little bit of bearing noise. Please keep this post on track and to the point. I do not need any blame pointed. I like being a member of this forum. Please just answer the question. Thanks.

Kenm810
09-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I have read that nearly any type of drag on the carving head can cause the flex shaft and/or the carving head bearings to heat up,
mind over heated while I was carving lithos and found the bit was getting terribly dull, I didn't really notice until I checked with my IR Thermometer
So maybe any type of extra drag or binding could lead to over heating. --- I changed the Bit and all went back to normal.

AskBud
09-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Ok, so since I had my flexshaft melt, I started really doing some comparison between my two machines. And really analyzing the one that melted, I know that the flexshaft getting hot can damage the bearings, in the chuck. Well, could the bearings being bad cause the flexshaft to heat up to that point. Cause the bearings seem to bind a little, and when I start to think about the way it sounded when running their may have been a little bit of bearing noise. Please keep this post on track and to the point. I do not need any blame pointed. I like being a member of this forum. Please just answer the question. Thanks.There are lots of thing that might cause a "heat" problem with the flex.
Yes, stiff bearings will cause resistance. Things like heavy cuts, dull bits, extended cuts in the "X" direction (where the "Y" has little movement), will also cause a potential heat factor of the flex. Regular lube of the flex, when you sense a heat factor occurring, will help. However, the main thing is to understand the machines unstated messages. Just as with any cutting/carving tool, you can/should not force the stock in to the cutter, nor force the cutter to bite more than it can chew in one pass.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Just the "Facts"....

It has been my experience that a hot upper Z Truck Spindle Bearing is caused by over lubrication and the oil sitting on top of the bearing gets into the bearing.

It has been my experience that a hot shaft can be cured by a dime size glob of Chain Lube placed in the center of the flex core.

It has been my experience that when the machine was being repaired on my deck sitting in the hot sun and I grabbed the soft flex with a little too much vigor I kinked the Spring inside the flex. Within 15 min of carving my Smoke Detector went off above the machine and black smoke was emanating from the center of the melted flex. Leading me to believe that the spring was rubbing with the shaft and made HEAT.... OR I kinked the inside of the Flex creating HEAT.

I believe the Flex Shaft can be Damaged IF the Machine is Shipped with the Flex still attached to the Cut Motor.... While being twisted and packed.... I recommend removing the flex from the motor for shipping.

I would remove the flex shaft and spring looking for a kink the first sign of Chronic heating..... TOO Late for you but for others...

Some have also found that with a CHRONIC Mild heat of the shaft, that removing the flex and spring and cleaning the inside of the rubber flex with a Gun Cleaning Rod. Many report lots of "Junk" inside and after a normal heat.

So pick what applies...

AL