PDA

View Full Version : Machine Setup process?

cdoyle
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I was wondering if any one could tell me why you go though and test every bit and then pull it out and test the next one? I have lost more wood due to this when it comes up to the question Refind or continue? I try to adjust it and refind but it keeps coming back. Why can't you just test the bits as you go and not have to worry about this. That way you wouldn't have to get the bit in the exact same place as when you first started. If someone could give me reason that would be great, or am I missing a setting that I could change? Thanks.

Slightly upset
Cory

eelamb
09-06-2011, 08:30 PM
cdoyle, just hit continue. It has re-measured the bit anyhow. It is used to make sure the length of the bit sticking out of the chuck is the same as the first time it measured it. Many use some type of lock ring, o-ring, or something to position the bit the same every time it is inserted.

Others will give you a more defined answer.

b.sumner47
09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Cory, Some of the members have done just that. I personally have done this from time to time, I don't do it all the time and haven't seen any problems. It's your call. Capt Barry

cdoyle
09-08-2011, 04:19 AM
but when I do that it either digs into the wood or it barely shows a mark that is why I keep losing the wood.

eelamb
09-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Are you talking about when you change the bit, after the first bit has finished, and the second bit is required?
Another method of getting the bit set the same every time is to use a plastic tube a little larger than the shaft. Cut this tube to the length necessary, insert the bit into the tube (cutting edge down), the load it into the chuck, and tighten it down.

cdoyle
09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes it is when you go from the first to second bit during carving. I seem to have the most problem when I have to use the adapter to go from the smaller shafts to the bigger size. I use the plastic spacers that I got from CW. I was thinking of trying the larger shaft bit to see if that helped.

Thanks,
Cory

lynnfrwd
09-08-2011, 04:48 PM
The 1/4" & 1/2" rubber stop collars are for this, so you can get the bit positioned the same each time. Package of ten is $5.99 each.

eelamb
09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
When I have hit continue, the bit has been measured and the carving continues without hurting the carving, that is why I asked to make sure of what you were doing. I use rubber o-rings, with super glue on the bottom side, to position my bits. I am using the Rock chuck. Have not been asked to continue since using something to set the bit the same on insertion.