PDA

View Full Version : Testing a Pierced carve

AskBud
09-06-2011, 02:15 AM
This is a test of a new pattern I'm placing in the store the week of 9/6/2011. It is a Pierced carve that took 17.5 solid hours to carve. This was a one bit carve. I might mention that the Flex was only slightly warm to the touch.
AskBud

eelamb
09-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Bud that will be a really nice pattern, thanks for showing the carving.

lawrence
09-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Man Bud, that is an impressive pattern-- well done

Lawrence

LittleRedWoodshop
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Very Nice .......

rcdages
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Bud,

Pattern looks great with a good detail.

Nice pierced carving, I like the pierce carving.

GREAT Job.

b.sumner47
09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Bud, WELL DONE .Capt Barry

TerryT
09-06-2011, 09:08 PM
looks good Bud

Kenm810
09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Nice One Bud! -- Great Detail

henry1
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
This is a test of a new pattern I'm placing in the store the week of 9/6/2011. It is a Pierced carve that took 17.5 solid hours to carve. This was a one bit carve. I might mention that the Flex was only slightly warm to the touch.
AskBud
I went on your store your pierced pattern is not there or I Im in the wrong place

AskBud
09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I went on your store your pierced pattern is not there or I Im in the wrong placeTitle "Jesus Last Supper-Large". Currently on page #4.
AskBud
http://store.carvewright.com/pattern.php?vendor=nharbison&page=4

It's a standard pattern that I applied the Pierced concept to a rectangle around the figure rather than use the cut-out bit. It take a bit longer bet assures that the cut-out bit does not ruin the work, or break.

henry1
09-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Title "Jesus Last Supper-Large". Currently on page #4.
AskBud
http://store.carvewright.com/pattern.php?vendor=nharbison&page=4

It's a standard pattern that I applied the Pierced concept to a rectangle around the figure rather than use the cut-out bit. It take a bit longer bet assures that the cut-out bit does not ruin the work, or break.
Thank you, I got it, I will try it soon

henry1
09-07-2011, 05:54 AM
AskBud
How wide was your board and how long my guest 12X30''

AskBud
09-07-2011, 06:22 AM
How wide was your board and how long my guest 12X30''
My design board was 11.25 x 32.
The actual board was a slightly fat 11.25", and much longer than the needed 40".
I selected to place on end/corner, keeping original size. If the actual board is/was wider/narrower or longer/shorter, it should be able to "Scale to Size".
Just be sure to place your top edge of your rectangle about 3/4" from the top of your design (to avoid the brass roller).
AskBud

Be advised that this thread is in the TEST area, so it will be deleted as some time in the future!
It was only posted as a boast!

Ducky63
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I bought the pattern last night & ran it today on pine. My board was 20" X 9.25" X 3/4" & put on a sled with the 3 1/2'" at each end. It took 4:42:52 to run it, & I ran it at .730 deep. I'll have to cut it out now. It really looks good. Happy Carving! Thank Bud

lynnfrwd
09-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Be advised that this thread is in the TEST area, so it will be deleted as some time in the future!
It was only posted as a boast!

Looks like someone moved it to the Techniques area. I was going to move it out of the test area, but someone beat me to it.

rcdages
09-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Bud,

Could you help Ducky post his photo's to the fourm?

If you could it would really be great.

Thanks.

Got your photo's in the e-mail of the Last Supper you carved today Ducky, it looks really good.

AskBud
09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Since this was my thread that began by talking about pierced carving, I'm placing a 575 MB link to an AVI lesson, whick I will also post in the lesson section.

The lesson was made using another Jesus pattern, and shows how I included a hanger/pocket, add on, to the back of the carve.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Pierced%20Carving-How%20I%20made%20it.zip

Ducky63
09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Here are the pictures of my carve. Ducky63

rcdages
09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pleased to see you have your carving photo's posted.

You do nice work Ducky and we all need to beable to see it.

mtylerfl
09-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Here are the pictures of my carve. Ducky63

Hi Ducky,

I noticed from your photos that you will be able to get a better quality carve by setting your pattern for Bit Optimization: BEST. It appears from the photo that Bit Optimization was set to "NONE".

If you are unfamiliar with this....all you do is select the pattern (left-click mouse button), then right-click the mouse button and a menu will display. From that menu choose Bit Optimization and then choose "BEST". You will be able to see a marked improvement on-screen and of course, when you actually carve the project.

Hope that helps!

Alan Malmstrom
12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Since this was my thread that began by talking about pierced carving, I'm placing a 575 MB link to an AVI lesson, whick I will also post in the lesson section.

The lesson was made using another Jesus pattern, and shows how I included a hanger/pocket, add on, to the back of the carve.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Pierced Carving-How I made it.zip

Hi AskBud

I have just finished watching your video on Pierced Carving and I think it is excelent. I now know how to do a pierced carve. I had always wondered about that function of the program because it is not mentioned in the Software Manual. The video is well worth the time.

I also tried just assigning a piereced carve on a pattern that I had dropped the background out of while importing and it automatically made the carve depth the same as the board. The thing I like the most about your tutorial is that it showd me how to create tabs.

Thanks, Alan

AskBud
12-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm glad it helped!.
AskBud 8) :)

mtylerfl
12-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi AskBud

I have just finished watching your video on Pierced Carving and I think it is excelent. I now know how to do a pierced carve. I had always wondered about that function of the program because it is not mentioned in the Software Manual. The video is well worth the time.

I also tried just assigning a piereced carve on a pattern that I had dropped the background out of while importing and it automatically made the carve depth the same as the board. The thing I like the most about your tutorial is that it showd me how to create tabs.

Thanks, Alan

Hi Alan,

Pierced Carving and Tab Placement was covered in the Tips & Tricks a couple years ago http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug09.pdf

I haven't seen Bud's video myself yet, but there might be additional info in the Tips that you may find useful, as well.

An aside...I know you are a PhotoShop fan...I attended the PhotoShop CS5 Power User Tour in Jacksonville, FL yesterday. Was thinking of you and wished you were sittin' beside me. Learned some great tips and convinced me to upgrade to CS5 immediately (I was still on CS3 and upgraded to CS5 Extended). Heads up...the Kelby training guys mentioned that CS6 is just around the corner (couple months they guessed). Adobe's policy for upgrade pricing for CS6 is that you only get the special upgrade price IF you already own CS5 before the CS6 release (otherwise you have to buy anew all over again). Perhaps you already have CS5?

Alan Malmstrom
12-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Hi Alan,

Pierced Carving and Tab Placement was covered in the Tips & Tricks a couple years ago http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug09.pdf

I haven't seen Bud's video myself yet, but there might be additional info in the Tips that you may find useful, as well.

An aside...I know you are a PhotoShop fan...I attended the PhotoShop CS5 Power User Tour in Jacksonville, FL yesterday. Was thinking of you and wished you were sittin' beside me. Learned some great tips and convinced me to upgrade to CS5 immediately (I was still on CS3 and upgraded to CS5 Extended). Heads up...the Kelby training guys mentioned that CS6 is just around the corner (couple months they guessed). Adobe's policy for upgrade pricing for CS6 is that you only get the special upgrade price IF you already own CS5 before the CS6 release (otherwise you have to buy anew all over again). Perhaps you already have CS5?

I have not purchased an upgrade for Photoshop for a long time, maybe 15 years now. I use Photoshop 5.0. I would like to get the latest version but I find that the one I have does everything I need it to. I have never even seen the CS versions running before. I've been a stay at home dad for 10 years now.

I'll tell you what though, the GIMP program does everything that Photoshop 5 does but Photoshop 5 has scripts. Scripts record what you do as far as filters and stuff and then can be replayed on other layers or projects. Comes in handy for repetative stuff.

Did you see the new version do anything that might be useful in the making of height maps?

Alan

mtylerfl
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I have not purchased an upgrade for Photoshop for a long time, maybe 15 years now. I use Photoshop 5.0. I would like to get the latest version but I find that the one I have does everything I need it to. I have never even seen the CS versions running before. I've been a stay at home dad for 10 years now.

I'll tell you what though, the GIMP program does everything that Photoshop 5 does but Photoshop 5 has scripts. Scripts record what you do as far as filters and stuff and then can be replayed on other layers or projects. Comes in handy for repetative stuff.

Did you see the new version do anything that might be useful in the making of height maps?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Ok, Photoshop CS5 is actually "version 12" if they had kept the same numbering system (I don't know why software companies decide on these odd version number changes). So, you are just a few versions "behind"! Nevertheless, PhotoShop was/is a powerful program no matter what version folks are using.

The scripting is a convenient feature and was demonstrated (and recommended) to speed up workflow. Out of a roomfull of 300+ people, only a very, very few raised their hands when asked "Who uses Actions regularly?".They call the scripting feature, "Actions" ...I still think of them as them Macros...no matter - different names for the same thing. The presenter told us he initially thought that he needed to 'click and select really fast' while recording an Action when they were first introduced. He typically re-recorded over and over since he made mistakes when trying to work fast during what he thought was real-time recording. Then one day he realized that he could record at his leisure...it's when the Action is played back, that it goes full speed ahead all on its own.

I didn't see anything 'special' for creating height maps. I imagine it's the same-ol'-same-ol' as far as making grayscale heightmaps in a photo editing program. Mostly my own hot buttons were the RAW support (saw advantages I NEVER knew about when editing in RAW - CS5 can even open regular jpg's and automatically convert to RAW format!), new editing, selection tools/methods (MUCH easier now to select wispy hair and other teeny/fine items that took a lot of time to do previously), creating masks is easier, the Content-Aware Fill (easily/magically remove people/objects from a photo potentially saving hours of work doing it the old "selection or clone-brush" way), and with the Extended version, applying PhotoShop effects for video editing, plus 3D graphic creation/handling (the 3D stuff is visual eye candy only - not geared to modeling anything). Those are features that I will find handy and enjoy a lot, among a few other odds and ends.

dbfletcher
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
GIMP also supports scripts/scripting. It has had that ability for about as long as I can remember. It also supports most of the Photoshop plugins.