PDA

View Full Version : Is the "c" version failure-prone like the older ones?

midevilone
09-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I am considering the CarveWright along with some higher cost machines.

Since I have seen considerable complaints about the failure of the earlier versions of the Carvewright, I am wondering if the C version is an improvement?

To help me decide to buy/not, please answer these questions.

How long after you bought your CW "c version" did you have to send it in for repair? 0 if never
How many times have you had to have it repaired.
How long have you owned it?

Feel free to say anything else you care to about it. It looks like an amazing machine WHEN IT WORKS and I'd rather buy a better machine than have to deal with downtime and repair hassle if the c version isn't any better than the older versions.

AskBud
09-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Good morning,
I'll start by quoting a reply I sent to another member in May of 2011. He was considering buying a "B" version, from a friend, with little use as he had a good price. He had also used/tested this unit several times.
Quote:
..... Learning ........
1) A clean machine is a happy machine.
2) As soon as you can afford it, get the CarveTight Assembly.
2B) Most problems are traced back to the Quick Change Chuck, and the vibration it causes.
3) Get, or make, a Top Loading CW Vacuum Head. My version is listed in my signature below.
3B) Get a Dust Collector system that has at least 600 CFM.
4) Most of the other problems, are the result of not understanding the limits of the machine. Like any tool, it can be pushed beyond its limit(s). This results in broken bits, or things much worse. It is, for all intent and purpose, a "Router" mounted on a printer-like assembly. You can not always take "Full Cuts" with most router bits without burning your wood, jambing the bit, or in the case of the CW/CC breaking some other part. You need to think about taking several passes to attain the depth you want/need. The only bit that is really designed to make full depth cuts on one pass (in my opinion) is the Tapered carving Bit.
5) My signature, also, has a "Download" section that has access to lots of lessons and links to the other viable sources.
6) When you have a question, feel free to ask on the forum. Hopefully, you will ask before you cause yourself a problem with the machine. You could always attach your MPC and ask for advice, when you are not sure.
AskBud
END QUOTE
From my perspective, the main problem with the earlier models is/was the Quick Change Chuck. The potential for an imbalance to occur is/was great. It took a high amount of attention to cleaning and proper seating. The worse the imbalance becomes, the more it causes vibration, to the entire machine. If you have read many trouble threads from beginning to end, you see that things come loose, break, or break solder joints on various electrical circuits, all due to the excess vibration.
If an older unit has suffered much vibration, even a new CT Assembly will not solve the damage already done to the unit. That is why I stressed item #2 above.
The "C" machines are, and should be, fairly trouble free as no vibration has been introduced.
Even the LHR reconditioned units, which comes with the CT Assembly, are and should be a good choice. LHR does a intense inspection, looking for points of stress from the former user. I think that if the former user reported his/her problems to LHR, they have that record on file as well (by the serial number). I just took delivery on my 8th machine, which happens to be one of the LHR reconditioned units with the CT Assembly. It runs like a top, so I expect that if I avoid user error, I should be home free!
In a nutshell, if you can afford the coin, order a new "C". If not consider a reconditioned unit, directly, from LHR.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/content.php

midevilone
09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks "AskBud" I appreciate your response. I had actually seen your comments in another thread in all my perusing since I discovered the CW. I am truly impressed by this community of support that has emerged around the CW.

My grandfather was a cabinetmaker/boatbuilder, my father ran a construction company for years (with me at his side much of the time since I was old enough to use a hammer) and I enjoy working with wood. My wife and I are currently building a castle, see thecastleproject.net if you are interested. I say all that to preface my next statement.

My grandfather always said: "Only a rich man can afford to buy cheap tools"

8 Machines? Are they all still in use, or have they replaced each other?

I really love the premise of the CW, but I am a little gunshy given all the negative posts I have seen.
If I have to babysit it and pay careful attention to detail that is fine, but if it is just constantly failing then I'd rather save for 2 years and buy a tougher machine...

gregsolano
09-04-2011, 03:59 PM
I am going on a year and while I did break a bit and replace a sanding belt I have otherwise had nothing "break" on my C machine. It has worked pretty much flawlessly for the year with the exception of an error or two which turned out to be user errors. I recommend this machine to everyone I know.

midevilone
09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks "gregsolano". One of the things I will be using this for if I decide to get it is making friezes in raised panel doors and corbels for our home we are building. So I will be using it quite a bit in the first year of ownership. Can you tell me approx. how many projects you have made with yours? Would you consider yourself a an occasional CW, or a heavy CW user?
Thanks

AskBud
09-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Machines 6, 7, & 8, are my current stock. One thru 5 have bitten the dust. They were all purchased from Sear's, and I had the extended warranty. Each one had all repair done by Sear's until they declared then un-repairable (I feel like I trained their techs, as they broke more than they fixed for the longest time). Thankfully, it was all on their dime! Machines 6 & 7 are also Craftsman units, however, early in their use I has each in the shop for their first repair when the CT was introduced. I ordered Chucks, called Sear's and had them hold the units and sent them the new CTs and had them install them while they were fixing that first problem. Both run well, unless I cause a problem like not paying attention to the fact that one of my hold down brads went through the bottom of my sled. It just was a fraction of exposure, but was enough to ruin my traction belts. Needless to say, I check the bottom of my sleds more closely now!
AskBud

gregsolano
09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Probably somewhere in between occasional and heavy I have about 100 hours on the cut motor and have made about 25 to 30 projects. I use it about one to two days a week.

boogalee
09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
bump. bump bump

midevilone
09-04-2011, 04:28 PM
@boogalee ???

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2011, 06:51 PM
"Head Shaking"... A Poll.....

liquidguitars
09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I own 4 units and with 120.00 bucks of parts I can keep running for a over year. One service i do not like to do myself is rebuild the tables adjustments, after 1000 hrs it's nice to send one in to LHR for a refurbish.