PDA

View Full Version : X axis stall E04-0293

lostinthefrost
08-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Been getting this a ton lately. Now I cant get the machine to do length measure to start any carvings. It measures the width the stalls. Is that tiny x motor next to the X gears shot? I know I have changed the gears several times with the kit. Any ideas?

fwharris
08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
from the troubleshooting guide http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Maintenence/Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf
E04 - X axis stall

Description of Issue

An “X-Axis Stall” will happen when the machine is not able to move the board in and out of

the machine when commanded.

Possible Causes

An “X-Axis Stall” can result from excessive head pressure, rolled up sandpaper belts, a

wedged board, a board that has a significant thickness taper to it, a gear set that has too much

slop in it, a slow running cut motor, or a gear set that is out of alignment.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Check to see that the sandpaper belts are not rolled up. This will have the same effect as

the varying thickness board. This is almost always the case so double check it.

2. Check to see that the board you were carving was not wedged in the machine (it will

wedge if the width of the board varies significantly along its length). Do this by slightly

cranking up the head and moving the board in and out of the machine along its length

looking to see if it wedges between the squaring plate and the sliding plate.

3. Check to see that the board you were carving does not vary in thickness over its length. If

it does it will wedge between the upper compression rollers and the belt drives and

overload the X gears.

4. Check that the head pressure is between 75 to 85 lbs. If the head pressure is lower than 75
lbs or higher than 85 lbs, it could well make the x-gears to stripe or brake. Please see the

“Checking the Head Pressure” document on the CarveWright website for continued

troubleshooting of this issue.

5. Check the spacing of the metal gear on the X belt drives. When the machine is apart to

replace the X gears make sure that the spacing on the metal drive gear attached to the belt

LHR Technologies, Inc. CarveWright™ Troubleshooting Guide (Rev 1.07) 05/10/11 51

tray roller is correctly spaced out from the end of the tray. You can see instructions for

checking this in the document titled “Replacing the Sandpaper Drive Belts”. In place of

the spacer mentioned in that document use a stacked penny and dime.

6. Verify that the cut motor is not getting bogged down or stopping during the project. If the

bit is not cutting it will cause increased force on the gears.

7. If none of the above steps solves the issue consult CarveWright.

lostinthefrost
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I did find your post on that is a few other threads. I went through step by step and then posted this. I have the feeling my X motor is going bad

lostinthefrost
08-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I called CW today when I had a short 15 mins. Barry recommended that I look at the red capacitor on the bottom. I did and one of the soldiers were shot. I replaced it from one on my old machine. I am still getting the same error. Anyone have thoughts on the ribbon cables that run from the bottom up the side and to the control board? I didnt know if those have something to do with the X axis. Maybe one has a broke ribbon cable similar to the common FSC Cable issue