PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning Cherry

jaroot
08-27-2011, 10:05 AM
OK I've done a couple of searches and came up empty. I'm sure that this has been covered, if not in this forum another that I've gone to from time to time. But here it is; I've recently acquired a cherry log about 8 to 9" in dia.

What is the best way to dry/season it and how long should I expect it to take?
Is it worth messing with or should I just cut it up for firewood?

Thanks

DaveN
08-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Here's a website that has plans for biulding your own solar kiln. It also has some info on drying lumber.

http://owic.oregonstate.edu/solarkiln/plans.htm

eelamb
08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Answer to your question is difficult for what you want to do with it determines drying time.
1) if you anchor seal the ends and any cut limb section with 3 coats, tarp it and make sure it is off the ground about 4", drying will take about 6 years. Basic rule is wood dries 1" per year.
2) if you process it into 1" boards and anchor seal the ends, it will take about a year.
3) if you cut it for turning and split it, then anchor seal, it will take about 2 years.

Anchor seal is a type of wax coating you paint on to seal the wood. I have heard of others using latex paint too. Never tried it myself.

Now if you have an old frig, gut it, place a 100W light bulb in it, cut a 1" hole in the bottom and one in the top, then install a 4" muffin fan, put the wood in it, it will dry in about 2-4 months.

jaroot
08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
So do you season it to a moisture content or percent of shrinkage?

eelamb
08-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I go for 6-8%, or it will crack as it adjust to the new surrounding. Most I do is for turning

Remember about 80% of the moisture is in the heart wood. Thus if the log you have is cut in half, exposing the heart wood (center) it will dry faster.

I am no expert, just stating what I have done or read while drying wood for myself.