PDA

View Full Version : Carving out from domed surface

devin07
01-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi,
Playing with the software while waiting for my machine and am having problems. I started with doming the wood. When I added a carve region, the carved region surface appeared to have an inverted dome surface. To get a flat bottomed surface I had to make this region a dome and then 'tweak' the height value to 100. I added a cross pattern to this surface but it isn't fully exposed (Cross2.mpc). If I change the height of the carved region to 0, then the cross is seen in its entirety (Cross3.mpc), but the surface returns to an inverted dome. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'd like a fully exposed cross on a flat bottom carved out region. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Devin

David M.
01-16-2007, 09:21 PM
devin07,

I played with your file and this is what I came up with. Toss the dome setting, not sure why it's on if you want a flat bottom, not needed. Anyway the sides will have to stay, the rollers have to ride on something till the carving is done, then the raised edge can be cut away by the machine or by hand with a bands saw or what ever you might have.

devin07
01-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi David,
I was wanting to inset the cross into a domed 'frame'. I can add flat sides for machining, then cut them off as you mentioned, but it's getting the flat bottom on the inset while having a fully exposed cross pattern that's proving difficult.
Thanks,
Devin