PDA

View Full Version : tapatalk on forum

dbfletcher
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Not sure where to post this, but I have been using tapatalk a lot recently on my andriod devices (although it is available for iphone as well). Does anyone else have interest in using their mobile devices with the CW forum? Tapatalk definitely make the experience much more pleasant on portable devices and from what I understand it is free for forum owners to add.

But if I'm the only one who is interested, probably not worth LHR's time to investigate.

Here is a link that LHR can use as a starting point if they would like to investigate it further.

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

dltccf
08-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Not sure where to post this, but I have been using tapatalk a lot recently on my andriod devices (although it is available for iphone as well). Does anyone else have interest in using their mobile devices with the CW forum? Tapatalk definitely make the experience much more pleasant on portable devices and from what I understand it is free for forum owners to add.

But if I'm the only one who is interested, probably not worth LHR's time to investigate.

Here is a link that LHR can use as a starting point if they would like to investigate it further.

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

I also wanted to use the forum on my mobile phone so I created this app for android:

http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/carvewright+forum

It takes you directly to the "New posts" search in the forum.

dave

lynnfrwd
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I pulled up another forum the other day and the Tapatalk app popped up wanting me to install it. I didn't have time then, but I will get someone here to look at it! I would love to have it on my iPhone!!!!

dltccf - you created? Wow! We have a diverse and multi-talented group here!

dltccf
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
dltccf - you created? Wow! We have a diverse and multi-talented group here!

Not as impressive as it looks, appgeyser has a framework that makes it cut and paste. Creating it as opposed to hand coding is about the equivalent of going from handcarving to a carvewright :-)

dave

chebytrk
08-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Will appgeyser also work with making iphone apps? That would be cool.

dltccf
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Will appgeyser also work with making iphone apps? That would be cool.

No, android only.

ibewiggin
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I am confused. What is the benefit of an app for your phone? I use my phone to use the forum all the time. I do not need an app.

dbfletcher
08-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I am confused. What is the benefit of an app for your phone? I use my phone to use the forum all the time. I do not need an app.

Correct... I never said you cant use the forum on the iphone, andriod, or blackberry but if you ever use tapatalk, i'm willing to bet you will never even think of using yours phones browser to get to any forum on you phone again. As another example, do you use the browser to get to you internet email on your phone or do you the the custom built apps for gmail, yahoo, exchange, etc. The apps are designed to make working with the smallish screen on our mobile devices much more effective and efficient.

ibewiggin
08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
So it makes it more scaled down for the phone? Is there any thing else? I have a Droid too and may be willing to download this app depending on what exactly the benefits are.

dbfletcher
08-26-2011, 02:41 PM
So it makes it more scaled down for the phone? Is there any thing else? I have a Droid too and may be willing to download this app depending on what exactly the benefits are.

Not really scaled down, but reformatted and redesigned for easier, viewing, navigating, posting, etc. Here are two youtube videos that might help (iphone & andriod)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELOO08uC0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV17vKHNB4o

jaroot
08-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Well... if the forum implements it I might give it a try but I don't really see any huge advantage for anybody who only watches one or two forums. Safari on my iphone works just fine for me the only real downside is I can't download mpc or ptn files and tapatalk won't fix that.

dbfletcher
09-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Connie,

Do you know if the webmasters have given any comments about this request??

lynnfrwd
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Connie,

Do you know if the webmasters have given any comments about this request??

Haven't heard anything. I'll try to remember to check on Monday.

dbfletcher
09-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Just a gentle reminder (in case you didnt remember this past monday)

lynnfrwd
09-14-2011, 10:49 PM
I did remember, actually. The software engineer said he would look into it, but I haven't heard back. Everyone liked the idea!! I looked into it and it requires a plug-in to our existing vBulletin version. They want to make sure it doesn't corrupt our current forum before making it live. No promises on how long it will take as that was not on their schedule of "to dos".

I'll ask again tomorrow.

I did purchase it for my iPhone. Cost $2.99. It is free to LHR. Except for labor of sw engineer of course. I haven't played with it enough to determine if it is easier than going through safari.

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
We are now available on tapatalk!!

This is our first mobile post using tapatalk.

gapdev
09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Much better than using a Browser!

Thank you!

Kenny

lawrence
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Looks great to me too- much easier to read

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Looks great to me too- much easier to read

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

Wonder why yours did a signature and mine didn't. I thought I selected it to. Have to check it again.

dbfletcher
09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Woo Hoo! It works for me too

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

chebytrk
09-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Yes!!!!!!! Works great for me too. Like it way better than my Safari browser on my phone.

dltccf
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Great, I will have to try it out.

We are now available on tapatalk!!

This is our first mobile post using tapatalk.

jaroot
09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Well I'm trying it out and so far I'm not sure if I like it or not but I'll try it for a while.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.052236,-111.963597

lawrence
09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Wonder why yours did a signature and mine didn't. I thought I selected it to. Have to check it again.

I'm not sure... I didn't do anything other than just type it in...

jaroot
09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
OK I've been using Tapatalk for a couple of days and i have to admit that it is better than using Safari on my iPhone.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.052228,-111.963902

dbfletcher
09-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Glad you like it!!! But it's not like we were forcing anyone to use it. I definitely prefer it, but I would not be offended in the least if others still wanted to access via a browser on their smart phone! The only think I have noticed is most times after I select the thread I have to "refresh" to get everything to display correctly, but I haven't decided if it is an issue with my phone, the forum, or a configuration setting i have missed. And a huge thank you once again to Connie and the LHR staff for being able to get it up and running so quickly. I figured I'd have to pester (Im a good pester'er) them for months before we got a yay or nay on adding it to the forum.

lynnfrwd
09-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I really like tapatalk for viewing the forum from my iPhone, but it is driving me crazy that I cannot get it to land on the latest post or latest unread post. I have tried all of the options and I still have to hit refresh and even then it doesn't always get me to where I want to be.

Any one got the setting combination figured out?

gapdev
09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Ok, using my iPad, I just came into this Forum and it went straight to your message, whizzing right on by all the other posts.

Kenny

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.470453,-117.706849

gapdev
09-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Not sure that Geo Tagging stuff is useful. Will have to turn that off.

Anyway, here are some of my settings:

Layout
Latest Ordering: Date
Unread Behavior: Off

Thread
Loading Behavior: First Unread

I think thats all that would apply going to first unread post.

Kenny

jaroot
10-01-2011, 04:20 PM
The iPhone version doesn't seem to work real well. Pics get lost and occasionally posts get mixed up. Concept is real good. Hopefully they can get the bigs worked out.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.052318,-111.963878

chebytrk
10-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I've been using my iPhone 3G since LHR opened up Tapatalk & it's been working great & never failed on me.

JerryB using Tapatalk

jaroot
10-02-2011, 12:15 AM
That's interesting. I also use a iPhone 3G and I actually had to close Tapatalk and use safari to reply to this thread because once again Tapatalk was messing up the thread.
I've been using my iPhone 3G since LHR opened up Tapatalk & it's been working great & never failed on me.

JerryB using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
10-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm still using mine and prefer it over safari mostly because of the images, but it is rather irritating that I keep having to navigate to page one and hit refresh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
07-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Updated my tapatalk app yesterday and now every time I click to reply, the app closes. Did hard reboot on phone and still happens. Anyone else having issues with it or is it just me?

chief2007
07-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Works ok for me iphone4

lawrence
07-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Working for me..... maybe it knows you're supposed to be relaxing!

Hope you get it working. Maybe try deleting and reinstalling it?

Lawrence

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

dltccf
07-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I really like tapatalk for viewing the forum from my iPhone, but it is driving me crazy that I cannot get it to land on the latest post or latest unread post. I have tried all of the options and I still have to hit refresh and even then it doesn't always get me to where I want to be.

Any one got the setting combination figured out?

I see the same thing with tapatalk on my android phone and my kindle. It was after it went from version 1.x to 2.0 that this needing to refresh behavior started. I went on the tapatalk forums but couldn't find any talk about it, so I thought it was me. It happens on all forums, not just the cw.

Ton80
07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
I haven't noticed any trouble using the last version on my iPhone 4. I haven't updated to the last release though and maybe I'll check reviews before doing so.

gapdev
07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Latest version is working fine for me on my iPad. I don't use it on my iPhone.

The problem with deleting and then re-installing is you lose all your settings. But, you may have to go that route.

Kenny

jaroot
08-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Am I the only one who is having issues with Tapatalk and this forum? When I try to access a thread with more than one page I only get the first or last page and when I move to another page it gives me the same posts just renumbered. It only happens on this forum. I use Tapatalk for a couple of others and have no problems with them at all.

lynnfrwd
08-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I always have to hit refresh in top right corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dltccf
08-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Am I the only one who is having issues with Tapatalk and this forum? When I try to access a thread with more than one page I only get the first or last page and when I move to another page it gives me the same posts just renumbered. It only happens on this forum. I use Tapatalk for a couple of others and have no problems with them at all.

I was seeing this on all forums after tapatalk upgraded to 2.0. it was very frustrating. I finally figured out that hitting refresh solved it.

dave

jaroot
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I was seeing this on all forums after tapatalk upgraded to 2.0. it was very frustrating. I finally figured out that hitting refresh solved it.

dave
Tried that as I was having similar problems before. Now it seems to be a problem only on threads that I've participated on. Like this one.

BTW I had to access the forum via safari to make this post.