PDA

View Full Version : Beach Sign Pics

Jon Jantz
01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Made a sign to put under our porch out in front of the house... I don't have it painted yet but I'm putting up a couple pictures of it straight out of the machine. This is no sanding as well.

I did up the design in CorelDraw. Freehand drew the shape to look like an old jagged board. I then grabbed a .jpg of some woodgrain and put it on the board to give it the rough woodgrain effect. I need to work on the graphic a little... was real happy with some of the depths on it, but I think it'll look good when painted.

Put a slight bevel on the Jantz, made the other text so it would be thicker at the bottom and slightly rounded, which virtually takes the chipping problem of thinner letters away, set it up to cut out the shape...

Stood back and watched the sawdust fly...

I'll post another picture of it after I get it painted.

Fireman Phil
01-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Love the woodgrain effect. Where did you get the .jpg for it. I have been trying to accomplish a 'hand carved' type of grain directly on Designer and cannot make it look very good.

Fireman Phil
01-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Love the woodgrain effect. Where did you get the .jpg for it. I have been trying to accomplish a 'hand carved' type of grain directly on Designer and cannot make it look very good.

avboy5000
01-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Wow! This is probably one of the most thought out carvings I have seen so far. That background pattern really looks incrediable. Anyway where is Atmore, AL I live in Tuscaloosa, AL. Are you very far from me.

David M.
01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Jon, really nice design, I thought this is what we'd be seeing from you after the design help I've seen you giving. Your going to do good with this machine.

Jon Jantz
01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks, all.

Phil, I typed in 'woodgrain' into google images... grabbed a decent looking one, and copied it into CorelDraw. I edited it a little in Photopaint to turn it to grayscale and put a little blur on it so that it wouldn't have quite as sharp of edges. I then used the Powerclip function in CorelDraw to fit it into the board I had drawn. After turning it all to a .gif I then imported it into Designer. It actually turned out better that I had hoped and looks pretty cool on the board...

AV, Atmore is about 30 miles north of Pensacola, FL, right across the state line...

Happy Carving!!