PDA

View Full Version : Another Z-axis stall comment

Rocky
08-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Yesterday I got the following z-axis stall:

err E06-0313

The error occurred when "syncing" the last of 3 bits to be used. I tried 3 times and got the same error each time. I then did what I have had to do in the past. I eliminated the text from the project (2 bits) and kept the figure (1/16" bit). My project board remained in the CW. I loaded the modified project (nothing changed except text removed) and the figure carved normally. I then added back the text and removed the figure from the project. I reloaded the project in the CW and text carved normally. Carved project completed. Could this be hardware or software. Beats me, but I did finish my project. Just thought I'd pass this on.

AskBud
08-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Yesterday I got the following z-axis stall:

err E06-0313

The error occurred when "syncing" the last of 3 bits to be used. I tried 3 times and got the same error each time. I then did what I have had to do in the past. I eliminated the text from the project (2 bits) and kept the figure (1/16" bit). My project board remained in the CW. I loaded the modified project (nothing changed except text removed) and the figure carved normally. I then added back the text and removed the figure from the project. I reloaded the project in the CW and text carved normally. Carved project completed. Could this be hardware or software. Beats me, but I did finish my project. Just thought I'd pass this on.
Here is the statement from the Trouble shooting Guide:
E06 - Z axis stall (Normal)
Description of Issue
A Z-axis stall is caused when the difference between the commanded distance becomes much
more than the actual distance over the allotted time interval. An easy example of this would
be putting your hand on the cutting truck and preventing it from moving during an operation.
The computer is commanding it (and expecting it to move a certain distance in a given time
interval) but your hand is preventing it from moving; or stalling the movement. A stall does
not have to be a physical obstacle to movement. For instance if a power lead to the motor was
broken then the motor would not move when commanded and the computer would record a
stall.
Possible Causes
Causes include: obstacles blocking the movement of the cutting head, outdated firmware,
faulty electrical circuit in the shop, and electrical short in the machine, a loose connector, a
faulty power supply, or a cut motor that is not spinning.
Troubleshooting Steps
Consult the troubleshooting document titled “Z-Axis Stall” for detailed diagnosis instructions.

AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
08-19-2011, 09:28 AM
AND.... A lower left Z Rail Bearing Frozen....

AL

Rocky
08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. AskBud, the info you provided is interesting; I never knew that. I'd still like to know why removing text from my project then allows the design to be carved.

AskBud
08-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. AskBud, the info you provided is interesting; I never knew that. I'd still like to know why removing text from my project then allows the design to be carved.We would need to see the MPC, in order to really tell/guess the cause.
That being said, the machine did not like the subsequent bit placement(s).
We would also need to know which one failed (where was it in the process?
AskBud

Rocky
08-20-2011, 05:46 AM
We would need to see the MPC, in order to really tell/guess the cause.
That being said, the machine did not like the subsequent bit placement(s).
We would also need to know which one failed (where was it in the process?
AskBud

The process went like this. After initial positioning, etc. CW asked for the 90 degree bit to be loaded...bit loaded. Then CW asked for the 60 degree bit to be loaded...bit loaded. Then CW asked for the 1/16" carving bit to be loaded...the bit was installed and shortly after pressing button to "load" the error occurred. I ried this 3 times before beginning alternate procedure by deleting text from pattern. MPC attached.

AskBud
08-20-2011, 08:13 AM
The process went like this. After initial positioning, etc. CW asked for the 90 degree bit to be loaded...bit loaded. Then CW asked for the 60 degree bit to be loaded...bit loaded. Then CW asked for the 1/16" carving bit to be loaded...the bit was installed and shortly after pressing button to "load" the error occurred. I ried this 3 times before beginning alternate procedure by deleting text from pattern. MPC attached.
I just tested the loading of the project.
The MPC is fine! There must be a problem as you insert and activate the 1/16 inch Carving Bit, if that is where the error occurs.
Watch carefully, as that bit is checked, and see where it is and what it is doing when the error appears.
My previous post about the error may have the solution.

One question I have would be, "Did you remove the carving bit after the error, and re insert it when you deleted the text?" If so, it could just be the way the bit was nested in the chuck. What chuck do you have? If it is the new CarveTight (CT) chuck, are you using a carving bit with the factory pressed on sleeve?
AskBud

Rocky
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
I just tested the loading of the project.
The MPC is fine! There must be a problem as you insert and activate the 1/16 inch Carving Bit, if that is where the error occurs.
Watch carefully, as that bit is checked, and see where it is and what it is doing when the error appears.
My previous post about the error may have the solution.

One question I have would be, "Did you remove the carving bit after the error, and re insert it when you deleted the text?" If so, it could just be the way the bit was nested in the chuck. What chuck do you have? If it is the new CarveTight (CT) chuck, are you using a carving bit with the factory pressed on sleeve?
AskBud

Yes, I did remove the 1/16" each time...I had to in order to insert the 60 & 90 degree bits. I am using the Rock Check.

AskBud
08-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, I did remove the 1/16" each time...I had to in order to insert the 60 & 90 degree bits. I am using the Rock Check.Then I would say the the Carving Bit was inserted improperly (too long or too short), and caused the error.
AskBud

Rocky
08-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Then I would say the the Carving Bit was inserted improperly (too long or too short), and caused the error.
AskBud

I appreciate your feedback but I have to disagree with you, AskBud. Please consider this. I inserted the 1/16" bit 3 separate times for each attempt when the MPC contained all the carve info (i.e., text and graphic) and received the error each time. Yet, when I inserted the 1/16" bit when the MPC did not have the text I did not receive the error. Doesn't it seem unlikely that I would have not inserted bit properly the first 3 times and inserted it correctly the last time?

AskBud
08-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I appreciate your feedback but I have to disagree with you, AskBud. Please consider this. I inserted the 1/16" bit 3 separate times for each attempt when the MPC contained all the carve info (i.e., text and graphic) and received the error each time. Yet, when I inserted the 1/16" bit when the MPC did not have the text I did not receive the error. Doesn't it seem unlikely that I would have not inserted bit properly the first 3 times and inserted it correctly the last time?The only way to be sure of your theory, is to leave the bit in place after the error. Reload the new MPC and run it, as the bit is still there. If it fails you have proved my point. If it runs, you need to look elsewhere (I presume that you have, newly, placed the MPC on the card each time just to prove there is no flaw there).
AskBud

Rocky
08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
The only way to be sure of your theory, is to leave the bit in place after the error. Reload the new MPC and run it, as the bit is still there. If it fails you have proved my point. If it runs, you need to look elsewhere (I presume that you have, newly, placed the MPC on the card each time just to prove there is no flaw there).
AskBud

Good point! Well, I guess we "beat this to death". Thanks again for the feedback. :-)

liquidguitars
08-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes, I did remove the 1/16" each time...I had to in order to insert the 60 & 90 degree bits. I am using the Rock Check.

1. Little known fact: you can keep the 1/16" * bit in during all the bit checks and once all the bit checks are finished, run you project. After the 1/16" bit is finished carving and it asks for the next bit simply install the cutter. The CW will say you have a error, hit continue "2" and the bit will index correctly. I been using this system for over two years saves a major amount of time.

2. Removing the text off the MPC is not needed however a quick check could show you a stuck bearing making a random glitch. I found the only way to check is to remove the truck and hand turn all of the bearings.

Rocky
08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
1. Little known fact: you can keep the 1/16" * bit in during all the bit checks and once all the bit checks are finished, run you project. After the 1/16" bit is finished carving and it asks for the next bit simply install the cutter. The CW will say you have a error, hit continue "2" and the bit will index correctly. I been using this system for over two years saves a major amount of time.

2. Removing the text off the MPC is not needed however a quick check could show you a stuck bearing making a random glitch. I found the only way to check is to remove the truck and hand turn all of the bearings.

Thanks for the tip.