PDA

View Full Version : CW did it right with the CarveTight.

bayea
08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I have to say i am so glad i upgraded to the CT. before i would all ways worry if my carve was going to turn out right, or i would only be able to get a few carvings done before the bit screwed up. i stopped carving because of all the problems i had with the old QC chuck.

now i feel confident that things are not going to get screwed up. i have already carved more in the 2 months that i have had the CT than in the two years i have had the CW.

LittleRedWoodshop
08-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Glad you are having a good experience with your upgrade.

liquidguitars
08-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Out with the old in with the new! good job.

jaroot
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I agree! I love our CT. Made it a whole new machine!

joe_s
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi all!
Installed a new CT in one of my compucarves the other day, just use it for the 1st time
Ran it on best, cutting pine, the cut was the best I have seen in 4 yrs of use a Compucarve or Carvewright.
Keep up the good work
Joe

Digitalwoodshop
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Imagine if ball bearings were only used to hold static things like Hydraulic Hoses and Air Hoses and the QC was never invented.... Imagine the much different reputation of the CW.... A good Concept but at 10K +- RPM's with Side Force.... Not so good in the long run... Then throw in the Average Frugal Woodworker that Resists the idea of replacing that Worn QC until it Throws a Bit At YOU.....

Yes, the CT was a GREAT IDEA..... And THANK YOU "Saint" Ron for the ROCK.... Yes, I am a Recovering Catholic...:mrgreen::roll::mrgreen:

AL Who

Ton80
12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
If it wasn't for the Rock I don't think we would have seen the CT ;). Love my Rock but wouldn't hesitate to have gone with the CT if it was offered. VAST improvement over the original QC.

Dan-Woodman
12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Just a quick question. Does the rock and CT grip the bit in the same way? I know my CT has an inner piece the pushs on the bit shaft , but I'm not sure how the rock does.

later Daniel

northey87
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, the Rock and CT hold the bit in the same manner, that little inner piece tighten against the bit arbor.

James RS
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Can the CT bits be used in the Rock?

easybuilt
12-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Yes, if you have the 1/2 chuck. I use it.

Digitalwoodshop
12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
IS anyone actually doing it.... Using a 1/8 inch Cutting Bit with a LHR Pressed On Sleeve in a 1/2 inch ROCK?

The reason I ask is the slight length difference between the Chucks and the problem with mounting a 1/8 inch cutting bit in a ROCK TOO LONG..... It gives you a Fault....

Just Curious..... Not beating up on LHR again...... :roll:

AL

liquidguitars
12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Digitalwoodshop
IS anyone actually doing it.... Using a 1/8 inch Cutting Bit with a LHR Pressed On Sleeve in a 1/2 inch ROCK?

yes I use the 1/8", 1/16" carving and 3/16" carving and Mill CT bits and they work fantastic! I recomend them for the Rock not seeing any depth issue's.

easybuilt
12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Same here. No problem.

Digitalwoodshop
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
COOL !!!!:mrgreen:

chebytrk
12-04-2011, 02:48 PM
I just finished installing the CT and everything worked like a charm. One would have thought that Al Who did the change out (OK... well maybe wasn't done that quick). However, the instructions that came with it were right on the money and I made a test carve and all is good so "Houston ... we have contact and are back in service". I am using the Rock Chuck 1/2: sleeve with my bits since that's what I was using before and the sleeve works fine in the CT. Now I'm going to have to heat up the old Rock Chuck on the old spindle so I can remove it and put the old QC back on so I can return it and get my CT rebate. Course if I was like Al Who I would have already removed it around 2am while doing 3 other things at the same time! ; ) Ain't sayin'... just sayin'..

radman5506
10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Have not had my Compucarve long, about a month, but it was long enough to convince me to upgrade. When I followed the directions everything went swimmingly, where I deviated I had problems. You how guys don't need instructions, these directions do work when they are followed. My problems were not tightening the upper z-truck bolts in order and then not making sure all wires were returned to where they were, so the y-axis was short and the bit could not get to the touch plate on the right. The bolts kept the z-truck from sitting properly. Overall it was a good learning experience and I am just it hung to Carve my niche as it were.

radman5506
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
That is "just hankering to Carve my niche" those of you who have them understand "sent from iPhone "

rjustice
03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I do want to point out maybe a few minor details... The Rock Chuck tolerances are much closer (near zero runout on the bit), and the clamping mechanism is considerably different in terms of the clamping force, and what the slipping torques are on the bit.. Also note that the Rock Chuck is a dynamically balanced design, and as long as you dont change the working parts inside it will remain so...

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Excellent.... I am buying used Rocks.... I love them.....

AL