PDA

View Full Version : measuring tool

raye321
08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Is there a way I can measure distance on the software tool bar? For example If I have a board measuring 3"x26" and there is 4-5 different objects and lettering, how can I measure distance between the objects and lettering? I see that there is some measurements when you click on an object or outline it but usually it will measure from the end of the board not between objects

jaroot
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I usually just make a square the size that I need to measure and move it around the board.

AskBud
08-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Is there a way I can measure distance on the software tool bar? For example If I have a board measuring 3"x26" and there is 4-5 different objects and lettering, how can I measure distance between the objects and lettering? I see that there is some measurements when you click on an object or outline it but usually it will measure from the end of the board not between objects
One way would be to turn on your grid using the grid size you wish.
In my example, click on LAYOUT > SNAP, set the grid to 1.2 inch and click OK.
Now go to VIEW and turn on the GRID.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
08-17-2011, 05:02 PM
You can also turn on the gridlines and use those. Go to VIEW - TOGGLE GRIDLINES.

You can change the size of the gridlines if you need smaller or larger. Go to LAYOUT - SNAP. You do not necessarily have to make the objects "snap" (stick) to the gridline or edges, but you can still change the size of the gridlines there.

lynnfrwd
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
You're just too fast for me Bud!!!

AskBud
08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
You're just too fast for me Bud!!!
Just think, I have 3056 posts on Kim Komando's forum as well!
AskBud

lynnfrwd
08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
How do you ever have time to carve?

AskBud
08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
How do you ever have time to carve?
Location, location, location!
Computer and TV in the living room/office, next to machine room (heated garage). Phones and other PCs through-out the house.
AskBud

mtylerfl
08-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Location, location, location!
Computer and TV in the living room/office, next to machine room (heated garage). Phones and other PCs through-out the house.
[AskBud

Ok, now. Let's be honest, Bud! My workspace (desk and the bookcases behind me) have various tall piles of notes, taped-on to-do lists and Post It notes, and other sundries covering the entire desk and most of the bookcase. As hard as you work, and as much as you have on your plate, I imagined your desk would look more like mine (and nope- no photo will be presented of mine!). You had to have taken that photo of the nice/neat desk at someone elses' house! If the photo is for real, please come visit and teach me how to get organized! <smile>

AskBud
08-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok, now. Let's be honest, Bud! My workspace (desk and the bookcases behind me) have various tall piles of notes, taped-on to-do lists and Post It notes, and other sundries covering the entire desk and most of the bookcase. As hard as you work, and as much as you have on your plate, I imagined your desk would look more like mine (and nope- no photo will be presented of mine!). You had to have taken that photo of the nice/neat desk at someone elses' house! If the photo is for real, please come visit and teach me how to get organized! <smile>
Here is a pic of the desk tonight (8/17/2011).
The rule I was brought up with is/was "As you pick it up, Do it, Schedule it, or trash it!"
Gee, that sounds like good text for a sign!
My shop is not always as neat as dad would have liked it. He would not leave the shop for the day without the machine looking show-room clean and the floor swept. He was one of the top toolmakers in the Dayton Ohio area.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/pencil.png

mtylerfl
08-18-2011, 08:11 AM
I need to make me one of those "As you pick it up, Do it, Schedule it, or trash it!" signs!

rcdages
08-18-2011, 09:03 AM

A mess, Michael you do not want to see my pile of papers, drawing and such. Seeing Bud's place makes me realize just of much stuff I have setting around.

GrammaPam
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
In earlier days, when intelligent, curious, active children were directed and taught instead of suppressed and medicated, people, perhaps not unlike Bud, were allowed to develop to a fuller potential. One cannot be truly distinctive if they are just like everyone else. The rest of us can benefit from what, in some considerations, may be seen as a problem. I prefer to think of it as a gift.

mtylerfl
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Inspired by Bud's neat work area, I have begun sorting through "stuff" and trying to follow the "As you pick it up, Do it, Schedule it, or trash it!" If I ever finish, I'll post a photo or two! (My shop is much more organized than my office, at the moment!)

atauer
08-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Bud's area puts mine to shame. I need to clean up today. Get things straightened out a bit...

Mike's desk is probably cleaner than mine.

mtylerfl
08-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Bud's area puts mine to shame. I need to clean up today. Get things straightened out a bit...

Mike's desk is probably cleaner than mine.

Maybe we should have "before" and "after" photos to compare!...naah!

HelpBot3000
08-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Reminds me of my setup at home but a lot neater. The left hand screen is a "Green Lantern" symbol as I am a huge comic nut!

mtylerfl
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Reminds me of my setup at home but a lot neater. The left hand screen is a "Green Lantern" symbol as I am a huge comic nut!

I have a friend who is a comic nut too, and now everyone knows it...

My friend Jeremy is the bass player for his church worship team. Last Sunday he was called off the platform by one of the church elders just before services started. It seems his pants were not zipped up and his Superman-logo underwear was visible! (True story - I did NOT make this up - his wife told us the story - giggling the whole time of course!)

I hope you don't wear Green Lantern pajamas (or worse)!

HelpBot3000
08-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I would be lying if I said I didn't have a pair of pajama pants with GL/Batman/Aquaman/Flash/Superman on them and as I write this I am wearing my brand new Avengers t-shirt :)

atauer
08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Okay. We got off topic guys. Let's get back on track with this. Not trying to be mean, but we hijacked this thread.