PDA

View Full Version : Traction belt wear

raye321
08-17-2011, 01:49 PM
I just bought a reconditioned carvewright. I have about 8hrs work time on it and already the traction belt located in the rear of the machine has torn. I'm wondering why it would tear so quickly. It moves so slow you would think it would last a long time.

lynnfrwd
08-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Check the head pressure of the machine and make sure you have proper preparation of your materials.

mtylerfl
08-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I just bought a reconditioned carvewright. I have about 8hrs work time on it and already the traction belt located in the rear of the machine has torn. I'm wondering why it would tear so quickly. It moves so slow you would think it would last a long time.

They do last a long time (normally). As mentioned, make sure the head pressure is good. Also, make sure your boards are flat and defect free (no splinters), make sure you are not pushing the guide plate too tightly against the board (causes binding...torn belts...broken x-gears).

Perhaps the following Tips & Tricks may help you, as well...it has info that prevents torn belts among other things:

ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
I have had one rear belt rip and it was due to a twisted board.... Slight C Shaped and the tips were toward the brass roller and the rear tip of the "C" caught the metal edge guide.

AL