PDA

View Full Version : close door message

raye321
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I recently bought a carvewright so I dont have alot of time on it. Several times now when I begin a project a message will come on saying to close the door, but the door is closed. After opening and closing the door several times and maybe turning the machine off then on It will work ok, Any ideas?

lynnfrwd
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
This is usually due to sawdust getting inside the switch. Blow it out gently with some compressed air.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be that vibration of the machine (particularly if you have the old quick change chuck installed on it still) has made that part come unconnected or fail.

What you should do FIRST is go to the Troubleshooting Guide under SUPPORT then MAINTENANCE and look up "Close Cover Error" (page 14) to follow the steps there.

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Lynn is correct... You need to look up that troubleshooting guide and know if you have a old 18 pin FFC Cable or the newer 14 pin FFC Cable with it's 2 replacement boards.

The small flat cable inside the old 18 pin version of the Z Truck had a nasty habit of shorting and causing this problem of close cover. With the newer 14 pin system the cable inside the Z truck is no longer used and the new board for the 14 pin does not have a connector jack for it.

The board Sensor Cable has been know to short being pulled down to replace a board sensor and cause this open cover too.

The Switch has been known to have dust inside it. The Switch screws have come loose and caused this. The Cover Screws have been known to come loose and cause this. The Tip of the plastic cover has broken off and caused this....

And the Cover Switch plug into the circuit board has been known to come loose and with the new 14 pin system the white wire needs to face the center of the machine. As in I have plugged the plug in 180 degrees out... Pushing past the ribs that prevent that... And this will give you a constant close cover error.

Be sure to monitor the cover switch on the LCD by selecting Options and Sensor Data... Cover is the first entry... Signs of a shorted wire are calling up the Z Data on the LCD by paging down from close cover and getting Z Data of 0000 then moving the head manually and see the numbers change. If they stay 0000 then you could have a shorted wire.

Good Luck,

AL

And as Lynn said in another Post... the LHR $25.00 Fix It Advice is well worth it...

rockflier
11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
In a pinch, you can use the fry's electronics part

SUB-MINIATURE MICRO-SWITCH WITH PIN PLUNGER (http://www.frys.com/product/2314459?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG) Price is $1.59. You can use this until your new LHR part arrives.:)

Frys # 2314459

AskBud
11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I recently bought a carvewright so I dont have alot of time on it. Several times now when I begin a project a message will come on saying to close the door, but the door is closed. After opening and closing the door several times and maybe turning the machine off then on It will work ok, Any ideas?With the clear cover open, look at the top edge near the keyboard side. You will see a small plastic tab. That is what presses on the switch/sensor. Sometimes all you need to do is loosen the two screws on the switch and move it forward/out just a bit. Be sure to re-tighten the screws.

Once that is done, do the sensor check raising and lowering the cover several times. This may just solve your problem! If not, follow the previous advice.

Note to remember:
If you need to stop the carve, for any reason, push STOP (one time) rather than raising the cover. When you are ready to continue, push ENTER.

We do this to protect the switch from electrical pitting. There are two cover switches involved and it also assures a true stop of the electrical circuit.
AskBud

DickB
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Another potential cause that I had recently was the screws securing the cover were loose - something to check. I had lots of trouble with dust in the switch until I replaced it with an environmentally sealed one. No switch problems since.