PDA

View Full Version : Convert flat objects to 3d

jaroot
08-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Can anybody tell me if there is a program that you can import flat objects into and manipulate it into 3d?

AskBud
08-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Can anybody tell me if there is a program that you can import flat objects into and manipulate it into 3d?Michael penned the Oct-Nov 2010 T&T for this purpose. I have to admit that I can not emulate his success with this process.
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Oct-Nov_2010.pdf
AskBud

jaroot
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks Bud! I've tried that tips and tricks with some success. What I'm really looking for is a program that would allow me to load an image into a program and then manipulate it into 3d. Like taking flat objects and "puff" them up for lack of a better word.

bjbethke
08-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Can anybody tell me if there is a program that you can import flat objects into and manipulate it into 3d?

I like ShaderMap Pro, it is easy to use and it gives a good 3d look. I also have LightWave 8, but I need to learn all the controls so I can remember which ones to use when I need them, that's hard for this old man.

eelamb
08-16-2011, 07:35 PM
If you use shadermap pro on a vista machine, run it in compatibility mode of XP SP2.

DickB
08-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Michael penned the Oct-Nov 2010 T&T for this purpose. I have to admit that I can not emulate his success with this process.
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Oct-Nov_2010.pdf
AskBudMichael was the editor; I wrote the article.

There is no magic program that will do what you want automatically. You can load a 2D image into a paint program and "color" the image with shades of grey, much like a child colors in a coloring book, to give 3D depth. But it is not an automatic process. I did this with the tool box that recently built for the local firefighters, incorporating their hot rod fire truck logo. It was a time-consuming process.

I will try to follow up with additional articles on using 2D paint programs to create 3D patterns. I used this technique to create the fire hydrant and fire hose nozzle patterns for that project. It does take time and practice - no magic bullets unfortunately.

jaroot
08-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Dick

I'm not necessarily looking for the "magic bullet" but would like to be able to import a graphic into a modeling program and manipulate it from there rather than starting from scratch trying to arrive at a 3d version of a design starting with a globe or square or what have you.

It does take time and practice - no magic bullets unfortunately.

DickB
08-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Yup, that's what I did using paint.net. I imported the color logo and then edited it into the 3D b&w version to make the pattern.
46640 46639

fwharris
08-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi Dick

I'm not necessarily looking for the "magic bullet" but would like to be able to import a graphic into a modeling program and manipulate it from there rather than starting from scratch trying to arrive at a 3d version of a design starting with a globe or square or what have you.

I am with you on that one Jim!

I tried using some of the free modeling programs and quickly found that the learning curve was so steep for me I wanted to find the cliff so I could jump off. I now only use paint.net and the pattern editor. Pattern editor does have that hill to climb but since that is what I started with when I got me CW that is what I've stayed with. Lots of practice and dumping a bunch into the trash basket!

eelamb
08-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Jim, BJB mentioned shadermap pro. For what you want to do it is a great program. Cost is $19, and for the most part it is load the image, press generate displacement image, and import into designer. Some images will have to be cleaned up if they are JPG. Shadermap Pro works best with images such as clip art, but with a little work in paint.net you can make some nice patterns with it.
Everyone raves about the great patterns BJB makes, he does them with shadermap pro, and yes he spends time cleaning the image up and shading it to give those on the forum the patterns he does. BJB even wrote a tutorial on how he makes the patterns, ask him for it. The program is easy to learn and work with.

NOTE: if you use vista operating system , run shadermap pro in compatibiliy mode of win XP sp2. If not you can not load an image into it.

dltccf
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I was just looking at the shadermappro website and noticed that they mentioned that some of the textures they were converting to 3d were from freeseamlesstextures.com. I went there and they have some textures that look like they might be useful. They also had links to other useful texture and picture resources: http://freeseamlesstextures.com/texture_resources/index.htm

Texture Warehouse listed there looked interesting too.

jpaluck
08-18-2011, 01:04 PM
As long as your ok with a learning curve..you can "puff" up based on a picture sort of...I attached a couple screen shots to show what I mean...you put the picture in the back ground and model over top of it..."puff up " is more extrude and start tweaking verts edges and polygons in expensive poly modelors..Silo and AC3D nurbs Moi3d . The picture of woody is after all the extruing and tweaking...the pic of Tom is a WIP..just laying out the quads for extruding tweaking...hope it helps

some things you can start with a cube or sphere or box like you mentioned and tweak from there...The pic I showed I just kinda lay out the quads first then extrude...not sure if this the best way...still learning myself...but it works...wish it was a little faster...lol practice practice practice i guess