PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm how do I do this?

bivster
01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Here is the problem, I am trying to do a antler plaque and am having a hard time with geting it to do a cut out. Any ideas?

David M.
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
In your designer, look at the upper left corner (with the shape selected) change the DEPTH to something beyond the thickness of the board. Right now your set at .63 on a 1" board, tell it to cut through.

toymaker
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I redid the depth on your outline. Not sure why you are not able to select the cutout feature. However, the depth will leave a bit of a "skin" that will be able to cut out the rest. Hope this helps.

Bmac
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
I took a look at this in designer..you had two sides, not a continuous line, so you couldn't do a 'cut path'...I played around and I think this does it.

bivster
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys, you were all a ton of help

Shane :D

rgant05
01-17-2007, 04:39 AM
I see and understand what was said about being two halves ( I assume by mirroring one design), but I don't see how to get them to act as one line. I noticed he had them "grouped", and I thought that grouping made them one item, but see that it doesn't. What technique do you use to mirror a complex design and then make them one unit for a cut path command?

Bmac
01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I copied the left side and deleted the group. Then, pasted the object and flipped horizontal. I lined the top end to the center line and used the align tool to even the tops. I joined the end points top and bottom (a red X indicates they are attached). The first time I did this, the arcs went wild on the right side. I reformed the arcs to match the original and smoothed the figure a bit.

I hope that makes sense to you! :D

rgant05
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
It makes sense. I followed you right up to the point that the radii go crazy. I was hoping that there was a reasonable way to tackle the problem. In my opinion - the radii going crazing and having to fix them is not reasonable. You should be able to move the two halves together and somehow join them without deforming them or having to adjust them after the fact. There may be a way to do it that we are overlooking. When you have the two halves selected you can't move one half to meet the other because they both move together. If you just move one of the endpoints you change the geometry of the half which is why the radii go crazy. They have done a great job with the software, I will hand it to them, but little things like this are still lacking.