PDA

View Full Version : CW making a big Splash on Sawmill Creek CNC Forum

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks to our member Lawrence, we again have a big presence on the Big Boy's CNC Forum Sawmill Creek. Well Written, Great Pictures, Great You Tube Videos, Just another outstanding job... In Military Speek... Bravo Zulu (BZ) for Well Done....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170991-2-years-of-CNC-woodworking-with-my-Carvewright-huge-of-pics-and-vids&p=1759024&posted=1#post1759024

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravo_Zulu

Not bad for my 5999 th post.... Blabber Poster...

Deolman
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Great job over at Sawmill Creek.

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2011, 02:59 PM
And what better thing to do than make my 6000 th Post be a Well Done to Brandon pushing the virtues of the CW to a School Teacher looking on advice for buying a CNC for School.... What better way to CNC than have 4 groups of students standing around watching 4 CW's Carving away.... OR a group watching 1 Shop Bot cut the Teacher's Pet's Project..... LOL... Yes, I remember High School Shop...

With the FREE Software Students could work at HOME on Projects... Using a simple USB Zip Drive to transport the Project... Don't think Shop bot would offer Free home software.... I wonder if LHR has a School Software Activation Program to extend the 30 days?

The Slot Car is a great project for the CW and the Students.... Even simple Signs and Clocks.... Imagine making School Logo stuff for fundraisers.... Sure beats Cup Cakes....

Just saw it is a Community College..... Even better.....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164977-Community-College-teacher-wanting-CNC-recommendations&p=1759059&posted=1#post1759059

6000th POST

Kenm810
08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the sawmillcreek site info and Congrats on your 6000th post!!

bergerud
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I see the Sawmill Creek forum thread linked to the Dust Cap video and thread on this forum. Too bad Brandon did not know I am a college professor (as opposed to that member who "will try anything"). It might have helped the cause. And happy 6K Al.

liquidguitars
08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks Al!

Al BIG 6000 Bravo Zulu!

gregsolano
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Wow, 6000 posts ! Over 1000 a year since you began! When do you Carve! LOL , Congrats.

fwharris
08-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Great reading! I even saw your comments on the DC-Insert, thanks!

Looking forward to reading your next 1000 posts!

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow, 6000 posts ! Over 1000 a year since you began! When do you Carve! LOL , Congrats.

More like "When do I sleep".... LOL....

But I truly think 4 CW's would be much better than 1 Shop Bot.... Simpler Software, FREE DOWNLOAD, More the Scale to be useful to a School or Community College.

And I love my Ringneck Dust Collector.... Like my ROCK that I also love... I make a lot of NOISE when I really like something....

AL

atauer
08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Great write-up Lawrence, and great carving work also! Especially loved looking at the lithopanes/phanes (however it is spelled and pronounced).

Al, congrats on 6K. Now, let the rest of us catch up!

lawrence
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the shout-out guys. I've dropped that summary or a similar one in several different forums- SMC is getting some views, but the biggie so far has been Woodnet, where the 2-year review has over 1200 views in just a couple of days. I've also put it in the Woodwhisperer forum and linked to my Carvewright blog on the WWA forum as well.

The last update I plan is a significant "2 years on" review on Amazon. I already did a pretty lengthy review a couple of years ago and did a 1-year update so it is time to do that anyway.

Hopefully things like positive forum posts, highlights in shows like the American Woodshop, and this forum will continue to highlight the capabilities of the Carvewright- especially with the factory and aftermarket upgrades to increase reliability, compatability with industry standard programs, and reduce cleaning time and the significant strides made in customer relations and tech support.

Now all we need is a 3rd axis mount :)

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
08-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I just sent pricing options to James McGrew at SMC. Sure would love to see him start putting the CW in a more positive light!

Capt Bruce
08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
My sincere congratulations to all of you,

Its great to see the word being put out there on the tremendous capabilities of the CW and its provided software when applied by enthusiastic users. Nothing speaks better to the market and to future users who will join us.

Let me heartily endorse the BRAVO ZULU signal. Outstanding Gentlemen!

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
And a little LHR input to the SMC Thread.... From Connie

"There are many CW's in classrooms from middle schools to universities to prison systems; rehabilitation centers (even for the blind), commercial shops and artist studios. CW is more affordable for most schools and it is a great introduction to CNC. It has it's fit and it's purpose. I hear too, that it gets along very well with the "big boys" that it shares a shop with.

As far as the software goes, with DXF & STL Importer and the ability to export to STL using the Scanning Probe & Pattern Editor, proprietary software is more of a non-issue. Technology advances. Just because you no longer program in Fortran or Cobol, does not mean you are not a computer programmer. You no longer need to know html in order to create a website. Software has moved more object oriented.

Preventive maintenance is key with the machine and the new C version is much more solid. One of my favorite posts on the CW forum is from Al Ursich (digitalwoodshop) where he posted:"

"Well look at that.... 33 Posts chasing a 3 inch tail Pilot Error... LOL....

Glad you got it working correct.... I see a former 3 inch sled getting the Fire Wood Treatment...

Well, at least is was a Troubleshooting Post.... Darn Machine is getting so reliable that it is putting the Maytag Repairman like me out of business... LOL...

AL "

Post by Connie.

Sales & Marketing for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright System

lynnfrwd
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Sawmill Creek forum mods haven't banned me for doing it, YET! I think so long as I state who I am and don't just promote, but more defend and answer inquiries, I might be okay.

Here is the response I had to my post :( :mad: :roll:

could not agree with this more, espaecially the word "introduction" it worked for me...and it is safe enough for small children,,,, yet

we are members of the AWI, cabinet makers in the commercial world, the end users along with many other industries (printing, metal signage etc) where the result of an education is paramount to manufacturing, that said if a young fellow/person came to my shop and represented himself to be capable of operating a cnc machine and on the level of experience he listed "Carvewright" he would be shown the door. sorry i want autocad, gcode, and safety operations, this machine has a reason and a place, but i do not see its methods as better than industry standards. this would be a case of saving too much money which while that sounds redundant is a very real problem.

Either way, at least the CW is being talked about over there, again.