PDA

View Full Version : If you have a dust collector, I need some input.

DurhamDev
08-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1HP mini dust collector (this (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-mini-dust-collector-94029.html)) that pulls 914CFM, and have attempted to connect it to my Dust Deputy (http://www.oneida-air.com/category.asp?Id={CC6B6F2A-E3D7-4F18-A53C-B5C357DFE131}), with interesting results.

I had some challenges in the fact that the dust collector has a 4" inlet, and the Dust Deputy has an inlet that is approximately 2.2" at it's widest, so I used some 4" flexible vinyl pipe that you would usually use for dryer venting. This is likely where my problem started, because when I started up the dust collector, the venting collapsed in on itself because of the amount of vacuum being created. (And, when THIS happened, the motor overworked somehow, and blew out one of the brushes. I've since cleaned and replaced it, and it seems to work now.)

So, I'm looking for some input on this. What kind of tubing should I be looking for? I've recently built myself a rolling cart to house my CarveWright, the dust collector and the Dust Deputy. Basically, I'm planning on attaching the dust collector to the Dust Deputy, and then the Dust Deputy to my recently received Ringneck Blues collector. So, this means, I'm going from 4" to 2.2", and then from 2.2" back to 4". My hope was that I could use the venting, but now, I'm stumped.

I had an idea that I could go find some PVC or ABS piping normally used in plumbing applications, and make a fixed system, but I wanted to check in here first, with "The Experts".

What should I do? Thanks, in advance!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Is a Dust Deputy a Cyclone designed for a 2.5 inch Shop Vac that sits on a 5 Gal Bucket?

AL

DurhamDev
08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Is a Dust Deputy a Cyclone designed for a 2.5 inch Shop Vac that sits on a 5 Gal Bucket?

Yes, yes it is. Here is more information on how it works. (http://www.oneida-air.com/static.asp?htmltemplate=static/dd_howitworks.html#itdoes) I'm hoping it will work with the DC, but if it doesn't, I'm definitely open to attaching the DC directly to my Ringneck Blues.

fwharris
08-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Rick,

Interesting problem! I would suggest either trying the flexible aluminum drier vent hose (the more rigid type and not the light foil) or just going with the hook up straight to the DC.

GOT THIS FROM YOU LINK ON THE CYCLONE!
PLEASE NOTE: If you purchase a DIY "cyclone only" model, the drum you provide yourself must be strong enough to overcome the vacuum pressure (e.g.- 5 gal. plastic drywall bucket). We recommend at least 90 mil. side thickness, otherwise the container may collapse when in use.
Not intended for use with hot coals, hot ash, or explosive/flammable dusts or liquids. Call us for more information: 800-732-4065

DurhamDev
08-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Well, that's probably it then. I think I'll try another tack, and see if I can find some PVC. I'm sure I should be able to rig up some tubing to go from the 4" to the 2.2", and vice-versa. If that doesn't work, I'll go with a direct connection using PVC or heater venting (rigid steel) from the DC to the RB.

fwharris
08-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Rick,

I am sure PVC or steel will be your best option. Keep me posted!

DurhamDev
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I am sure PVC or steel will be your best option. Keep me posted!

Oh, I shall. I just bought my Wife a nice Nikon 3100 for our anniversary (I use it more!) and am just itching to take some pics of my handiwork, once everything is all hooked up. (...by the way, AMAZING work on the Ringneck Blues collector! LOVE IT!)

cestout
08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Rockler sells all kinds of adapters and connecters and not very expensive.
Clint

jaroot
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I have that exact DC hooked to our CW. At first we just hooked it directly to the DC head on the CW and it worked fine but it would fill up with sawdust pretty rapidly. And if you had any larger chips like when I used it on my planer it would plug the grate that protects the fan from such things. Now I've taken a 20 gal garbage can stuck an angled 3" pipe (i.d.) near the rim through the lid and stuck another straight 3" pipe down the center protruding about 12". Hooked the DC to the straight pipe located near the center and attached the DC head on the CW to the angled pipe. Now it works really well, most of the dust settles in the bottom of the garbage can and the bag doesn't seem to fill up at all. This is all done with the rigid flexible dryer vent that ringneck was talking about. If you go with some type of plastic then you will want to run a bare grounding wire through you system to eliminate static charge. Even if you use the flex metal pipe you will need to jump a wire from the intake and output tubes on the garbage can to jump across the plastic components going through the lid.

DurhamDev
08-10-2011, 03:53 PM
EXACTLY what I was hoping. I've just picked up some rigid venting, and am planning on configuring the whole thing tonight. I have one or two small projects that I need to hit first, but hope to have pics posted by the end of the night!

Alan Malmstrom
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I built my own rectagle box out of wood and a lot of caulk with two seporate compartments in it and screwed on a set of 4" intake and output fixtures that I bought at Rockler. Here is the link to the component parts: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25225 If you have a 4" collector then you probably should try to stay with 4" the whole way.

Alan

jaroot
08-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Unfortunately if you need to find parts on cheap the only size PVC pipe that 4" ducting will fit on is 3" I.d. Pipe.

I built my own rectagle box out of wood and a lot of caulk with two seporate compartments in it and screwed on a set of 4" intake and output fixtures that I bought at Rockler. Here is the link to the component parts: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25225 If you have a 4" collector then you probably should try to stay with 4" the whole way.

Alan

DurhamDev
08-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Good plan - I like this idea.

As for my night, it was positive and negative. I found that the DC wouldn't start up once again, so I had no way of completing what I wanted to do. I removed the brushes (one of which is noticeably dead) and hope that a local engine repair shop might have something I could use.

DurhamDev
08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
AUGH. It... NEVER... ENDS...

So, today I figured I wanted to get a couple of signs completed that were commissioned to me a few nights ago, so I hooked everything up. Over the past week, I found out that the brushes were totally gone on the motor for my DC, so I tried finding them locally. No dice. (As it turns out, I can order them from Harbor Freight, and after calling three numbers, getting bad information from each one, and finally sending off two E-Mails, I'm ready to order them.) Well, a kind guy at a local business gave me a couple of brushes that 'could work' based upon the charred mess I showed him, but he also warned me that if they weren't the right size, "bad things would happen."

He couldn't have been more right. The springs on the new brushes were much too long, but they 'fit' into the sides of the motor, and stayed held in place by the plastic screw-in caps. I carved up the two signs I had to, and moved on to a third for a friend, when I noticed the DC was rotating a lot slower than it had, which resulted in the Ringneck Blues only sucking in very minimal amounts of dust. When I finally finished, I looked closer at the engine, and noticed that one of the springs was actually protruding THROUGH the plastic cap securing it! Yes, it had run so hot, I guess, that it pressed through the cap. Not only that, but upon attempting to remove the caps, they crumbled into dust in my fingers!!!

So, when Harbor Freight finally gets back to me on my 'brush' order, it looks like I'll also be ordering myself a whole new DC. Damn. (What makes it even worse, is that I bought the original DC for $80, and I am ordering a new one for $89.99. They're not available locally, although, I have found a couple of larger units for ~$149.99. I'm tempted, but that's another large thing that I'll have to find room for, if I go with it.)

/sigh...

Digitalwoodshop
08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
/sign,

Count yourself lucky you did not burn your shop down.....

Were you the one who used the dust something designed for a Shop Vac? Restricting the flow on your Dust Collector.

AL

DurhamDev
08-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Count yourself lucky you did not burn your shop down.....

True, but the 'good news' (kinda) is that I don't presently have a shop. I have a rolling cart I built, with my CW on top and my DC beneath. I also roll it outside, and stay with it as it carves. I'm never too far away to use the fire extinguisher, don't you worry.

Were you the one who used the dust something designed for a Shop Vac? Restricting the flow on your Dust Collector.

I was/am, however, it was not connected in this instance. I'm working on a 4" interim dust bucket as we speak, as well.