PDA

View Full Version : Laminating 2 woods for layered effect ??

Marzluf
01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
My machine is due in tomorrow so I'm still reading, working with the software, and pretty much playing.

Anyway.... has anyone laminated 2 differnt woods together, then carved it for a "painted sign" look ?? I'm talking about laminating say, a 1/2" thick piece of Maple with a 1/16" thick piece of Paduak on top....

I'd love to see pics..... if not, I guess I'll give it a shot (assuming machine works ok) tomorrow.

BobHill
01-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I haven't done any laminates yet myself, but don't see any reason in the world why it won't work. One of the items that I like to make and in the past have made them all with standard tools is a chessboard cabinet, where there is a lip around the edge of the board and on each player end there is a draw with cutouts for each chess piece and all felt lined.

I'm thinking strongle about using laminates in the exterior designs, and even making the chess pieces into combinations of wood and brass/aluminum/bronze combining what I can do with the CarveWright and my metal lathe. But I haven't got it at the top of my "to-do" list yet.

Bob