PDA

View Full Version : Bone Head

jaroot
08-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Well I think I deserve the "Stupid" award today.

About a year ago the right hand switch on our machine died and I didn't want to wait a week for a new switch to keep carving so I just eliminated it.

Over a 100 hrs of carving later I opened the front lid to watch the bit hit the bit plate as I've been having issues lately with the bit plate not coming out all the way. Yes, I've cleaned and lubed everything and tucked the wires out of the way, etc, etc. Anyway I walked away from the machine to fetch a tool, don't know what was not going through my mind, and while I was a way the machine started to cut my board. Only trouble was the cover was still open and though the machine would function just fine the cut motor was not working because of the switch that I didn't jump. SNAP!

Funny thing about the 1/8" cutting bit, even though it is sharp it apparently needs to be turning when you drag it through the wood.

Well I guess when I order an new cutting bit I'd better order a cover switch as well.

Live and learn.

b.sumner47
08-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Your right about live and learn. My mistake alot of years ago and not with my " Carve Wright" it ended costing me my hand. It can happen real fast. Capt Barry

jaroot
08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your hand. A few years ago one of my other "Bone Head" things nearly cost me the middle finger on my left hand. I still have the finger but it doesn't bend at the first joint any more so about all it is good for now is driving. <gr>

Dan-Woodman
08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Save $10.00 plus free shipping ,order from Amazon.
later Daniel

Deolman
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
There is an old saying:

Good judgement comes from experience - experience comes from poor judgement.

Me personally, I get a lot of experience.

Icutone2
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Good idea to replace the switch! Safer that way, I found 2 replacement switches at Radio Shack a while ago don't have the part # but I am sure thay still have them. You might look there and save the shipping. If I remember right thay were around 2 or 3 dollars each. Hope this helps.
Lee

RogerB
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
We have all been there. 2 inch round over bit and a manicure. Removed 1 finger nail clean off index finger. Just lucky it grew back.

Icutone2
08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Left hand thumb twice 1 with router and 1 with table saw,index finger 1 with table saw and 1 with hatscet. shortened but still working.
Lee

atauer
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I've had my fair share as well...

Index finger on my left hand met with the twirling blade of a table saw during high school. Lost part of the tip of the finger, and the nail won't grow past a certain point.

chkorte
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I've had my fair share as well...

Index finger on my left hand met with the twirling blade of a table saw during high school. Lost part of the tip of the finger, and the nail won't grow past a certain point.

I can relate to that but my finger was shortened by a jointer. Nail still ain't right.

ktjwilliams
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Oh well,,, No sense trying to keep secrets... I nailed my finger to a board when building my deck... My son had to cut the stinger out and off we went to the ER with my finger attached to a 2 x 8 ... Luckily the nail went right through the middle knuckle and just seperated the joint as it pass through.. finger worked fine after about a month or 2 ...

gregsolano
08-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Ouch, I cringe reading this thread! I have a few scars from my bandsaw and table saw but nothing more than a few stitches. Everyone, BE CAREFULL! lets not add to this thread.