PDA

View Full Version : Ruler and snap to grid

Woodpecker
01-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Am I missing the option to display a ruler or is the snap to grid in 1/2" or other measurement? When I load a project it seems to always cut smaller than my intended project size.

pkunk
01-16-2007, 09:25 AM
There is no ruler. The grid is in 1/2" increments and as long as your board is large enough it will carve at the proper size.

Bmac
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I've yet to find a ruler in the software. The grid is 1/2" standard, but can be changed using the Layout/snap menu.

menewfy
01-16-2007, 12:08 PM
If you select stay under the rollers option when starting your project it will cut it smaller unless you compensate for it and use a bigger peice of wood i think it is 7 inches longer than you need. try cutting with out it.

BobHill
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Each object has it's own ruler, of course, so if you need a ruler why not use a rectangle and make one to the particular size you need, then you can move it around as needed. Remember that the length and wide of all objects selected are indicated.

Bob

DougM
02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Howdy all!

I am still very new to CW and learning all the time, but I thought I might share this with everyone as a possible solution to the "ruler" problem.

There is a company "Iconico" that makes some wonderful screen measuring instruments. In this case the "Screen Calipers" software should workout great!

It comes with a couple of different skins (one being the classic ruler look).

I use the software myself (as well as their other products : Protractor, and compass) in some of my webwork and planning.

Their website is:

Iconico (http://www.iconico.com/caliper/)

Hope this helps some!

Doug

mtylerfl
02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Hello,

So far, on all my projects I have always selected YES to the stay under rollers and cut my project board a little OVER 7" longer than the actual project size to be on the safe side.

However, on three of my projects after the board was measured, the CW machine "thought" the board was not long enough and prompted me to "scale the project to fit" for some odd reason.

Now when that happens, I just start over and select "NO" to the stay under rollers option, along with the "center project on board" option that comes up later.

By doing this, the project carves at the correct size AND the project stays under the rollers anyway ' cause my board is indeed plenty long enough for it to do so.

Kind of a funny little quirk, but at least my workaround works!

smartalecy
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
You may already know this, but it took me a while to figure it out. If you want to cut a project which is 5" wide, you have to allow for the 1/2" that it won't carve along the edges. If your project is 5" wide and you put a board in the machine that is 5" wide, it will have to reduce the project to 4" so it still has the edges to stay under the rollers. In other words, the board has to be 1" wider than your project in the designer, or, you can't carve out to the last 1/2" on each side of the board when designing it.

BobHill
02-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Don't forget another way to measure is to use your X Y Z position bar on the bottom of the CarveWright window. As you move your curser it moves in either inches or millimeters (whichever you have Preferences set to). Thus you can use the length and height indicators of particular objects/parts and you can use curser postions for any point on your work board in Designer as well. It's accurate to .01".

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

HandTurnedMaple
02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
You can carve along the edge. But if you get too close you run the risk of the pressure of the rollers collapsing the thin area. I've never had it happen, but I usually don't get much closer than 1/2".