PDA

View Full Version : 30 inch oval sign

easybuilt
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
This is a 30" oval sign I just finished for AIL in Fort Collins Colorado. The AIL was designed by GrammaPam and carved separate in cherry and the oval was carved in poplar. My customer suggested I paint the edge of the circle gold or black. What do you think?
I carved the oval and glued the three up. I was thinking I should paint " Fort Collins" back or gold. Any suggestions? Or should I leave it alone. The picture shows it kinda blotchy but it's not. Thanks for your help.

jaroot
08-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Your sign looks real nice. Gold edge might make it zing a bit. I'd leave the "Fort Collins" alone if it were me. Nice job though. The "AIL" part really turned out nice.

BTW The customer is always, mostly, sometimes right. <grin>

easybuilt
08-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks jaroot, yea...I know it needed something. You and the customer are ...... right. again

lawrence
08-06-2011, 11:27 PM
very nice looking--gold would look great, but not gold paint... try gold leaf, it looks great, is not too expensive, and is easier than you would think. I used some a while back
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18410-sign-for-a-friend&highlight=stanley

Very nice sign though
Lawrence

GrammaPam
08-13-2011, 04:43 PM
A craftsman can make a most difficult thing look simple. We both know it was harder than it looks. Great Job!
G.P.

liquidguitars
08-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Nice work everyone! I think it looks cool!

easybuilt
08-13-2011, 05:17 PM
A craftsman can make a most difficult thing look simple. We both know it was harder than it looks. Great Job!
G.P.

Thanks my friend GrammaPam!!
Here is the final picture before I shipped it off last week. The gold was a challenge getting a clean inside edge. I finally used a brilliant gold paint marker seem to work the best for a clean edge. I will try gold leaf next time on letters first.

GrammaPam
08-13-2011, 05:24 PM
That really does look good with the gold edge. Very Impressive.

Capt Bruce
08-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Nicely done Easybuilt,

Like Lawrence I'm a fan of gold leaf (I use synthetic or faux gold/silver) for both indoor and outdoor projects with lacquer top coating to prevent tarnish. If a customer is willing to pay the extra cost I do real gold leaf but it's a killer mark-up most times. Your paint job looks great on the finished sign. Again, very handsome project.

lawrence
08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Well done Tom- it turned out looking great. (Bruce- nice on yours as well- your lines are wicked clean)

Thanks for sharing the final product, I'm sure the customer will be thrilled
Lawrence

fwharris
08-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Tom,

That came out very nice! The paint detail really makes the letters and edge stand out. Job well done!

Ft. Collins, about 35 miles from me.

LittleRedWoodshop
08-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Niiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee

easybuilt
08-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone!!!!
Capt Bruce I really like your gold letters, nice job. I'm going to try that.

b.sumner47
08-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I like gold leaf alot myself. Great job on the signs, both of them. Capt Barry