PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a 3D logo for Scouting

Microear2
08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I am trying to make a Wood Badge Logo that I can carve into a sign. I am not sure how to do it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 46383

dbfletcher
08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, this topic has come up many times over the years. Apparently the BSA is VERY protective of there logos. And even if you do get one made, you are opening yourself up to lawsuits and grief if anyone in the BSA gets wind of it. Good luck. (This even applies to personal use and even if you have received approval from someone at the local level)

Digitalwoodshop
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes, this is very TRUE.... Good Advice "DON'T" You can be sure the BSA Bots have already reported your first post back to the "MAN"....

This machine can just about print MONEY with it's abilities... Same with Laser Engravers, Sublimation, Vinyl Cutters.... Copyright is nothing to mess with... They have Authorized Vendors that are Licensed to make what you are wanting to do for FREE or PROFIT.

Good Luck,

AL

jaroot
08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Yes the Boy Scouts of Money are very protective about their logos. I may have in the past carved some scout related in the past. But I wouldn't recommend it. Don't get me wrong I'm a pretty active scouter but I do it because it is a great program to help young people become good citizens in spite of the national offices. I've staffed a Kodiak course for two years and will be the course director next summer and I have carved a gift for the staff members but I try to keep it as generic as I can because of litigious nature of the national and regional offices. I can feel your frustration because of the responses that you are getting and having been involved with Wood Badge I can also understand your enthusiasm and desire to make something for that venue. Just walk softly. If you do get some help with the project, and I just don't really have the skills, it would be best if the project just "showed up" and nobody knows where it came from.

Good luck!

Microear2
08-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you all. I am wondering if anyone can advise me on how to make just the Pentegon frame, without the lettering?

lawrence
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd use a table saw with the blade tilted.... (or the miter gauge)
Lawrence

jaroot
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
You can use this if it will work for you. Not much pretty simple.

Thank you all. I am wondering if anyone can advise me on how to make just the Pentegon frame, without the lettering?

bergerud
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Here is another try. I agree though, I would use a router or tablesaw. I would use the Carvewright only to outline the pentagon (1/8 bit path 1/4 deep to create a bearing guide for the router).

AskBud
08-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Here is a Pentagon Pattern.
You may apply it twice to get the outer and inner dimensions.
Bring in the pattern once, orient and size it as desired.
Next, copy and paste for the the second version (this will allow you to attain the width of the Pentagon sides).
From there, it will depend upon what is higher/lower than the other as to how you proceed.
AskBud

Microear2
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Thank you all so much.