PDA

View Full Version : Carved Dust Cap

bergerud
08-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Here is a video of the Dust Cap carved by the Carvewright collecting acrylic dust as the machine carves one of its own parts.

I thought I would start a new thread so that more would see it. The files and some instructions how to carve it are at the end of the "To Carve the Dust Cap" thread. I am hoping that some of you guys will carve it, put it together, try it, and give the forum some feedback. I have an ER16M chuck. I would like to know how well it works with the QC, CT, and Rock chucks. How does it work with azek? There are many questions. It is a prototype which needs testing.

I have spent a lot of time on this Dust Cap because I know how well it works. I think that after you try it you will wonder how you ever carved without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEuxLaUDw-c

easybuilt
08-03-2011, 11:07 PM
That is awesome! That cap would have solved my problem with dust from AZEK carving!!
Thanks for posting.

Digitalwoodshop
08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Any takers on making them for you and selling them? Time is Money, and for me, something this detailed, I would rather just buy one and take the deduction at TAX time...

I cut 3 sheets of FRP Tags the other night with the Ringneck Blues Version and I was VERY Impressed.... It sucked to the point of cleaning all the dust off but not to the point of lifting the tag from the sheet... I am still using double stick tape to hold the tag after it is cut with NO tabs.

AL

brouv
08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
That is AMAZING
Nut just the concept but the quality of the piece.
Good job.
Maybe one day, I will have enough time to do something like that.

lawrence
08-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Both this piece and the Rock chuck are excellent examples of Carvewright users making aftermarket items of amazingly high quality. Great job bergerud. I think you've hit this one out of the park and can't wait to try it.

Has anyone tried it with a Rock chuck yet?

Lawrence

kool69sporty
08-04-2011, 08:35 AM
berg, just a great job!! I'm planning to do 1 after the summer activities kool down. I use a Fred Potter version DC and just can't get the high density plastic chips to lift up. Also, your ER16 chuck conversion still has me salvating. Joe

bergerud
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Ok, let me spice it up a bit. I have a spare ER16M spindle. The first person to post pictures or video of a working Dust Cap wins the spindle. (All you get is the spindle and the M style nut. You still have to buy collets and an M style wrench.) For someone who mostly carves, the ER16M and the Dust Cap make for a great combination.

(Kevin excluded. Sorry Kevin but we need to expand the club!)

Al, the reason I have gone to the trouble of making the Dust Cap carvable is because I never heard anything else from Ron Justice. I originally hoped he would manufacture these things. He went silent on the ER spindles as well. He may not think the demand is there.

Anyway, you have to carve your own. It is not so hard. I will provide better instructions later if I decide to make it a Carvewright Project.

(If time is money Al, the forum users owe you about million dollars!)

bergerud
08-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it? Do you still think you need a 4 inch industrial DC system to remove dust from a machine that creates like a gram of dust per minute? I do not understand.

I got so much positive support for the original dust cap from you guys that I spent two weeks redesigning it so that the machine could carve it. My own dust problem was already solved. It was the same with the ER spindle. I put extra time and money into it because of your positive feedback and then - nothing.

With the ER spindle, I thought oh well, these are woodworkers, no one has a lathe. The Dust Cap, however, is just a plastic model any kid can build. Come on you guys, I would hate to think you are all talk and no action!

liquidguitars
08-13-2011, 12:33 PM
lonely at the top I guess. Not to worry we are reading and dreaming.

mtylerfl
08-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it? Do you still think you need a 4 inch industrial DC system to remove dust from a machine that creates like a gram of dust per minute? I do not understand.

I got so much positive support for the original dust cap from you guys that I spent two weeks redesigning it so that the machine could carve it. My own dust problem was already solved. It was the same with the ER spindle. I put extra time and money into it because of your positive feedback and then - nothing.

With the ER spindle, I thought oh well, these are woodworkers, no one has a lathe. The Dust Cap, however, is just a plastic model any kid can build. Come on you guys, I would hate to think you are all talk and no action!

Actually, I love the concept and read with great interest, everything you do! I was talking with LHR the other day and was "bragging" about your dust cap. They are liking it too, and admire your creativity and efforts - in fact they had their own prototype dust cap versions years ago and experimented with various configurations, etc. The concept is a good one, alright!

So far, I've not taken any action on making my own - yet. I don't currently use any dust collection of any kind, but "should", I suppose. If I can only get far enough ahead....maybe I'll find some time...well, I can dream, can't I?

Kenm810
08-13-2011, 01:40 PM
LG is right on, --for me, "just reading and dreaming"

Money is really tight right now ---to many medical bills
I'm still looking for a second Nickel so We'll have two, to rub together

dougmsbbs
08-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Staying busy redoing my upstairs bathroom. Making the dust cap is high on my list when I get this remodel job from hell finished...

lawrence
08-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Ok, let me spice it up a bit. I have a spare ER16M spindle. The first person to post pictures or video of a working Dust Cap wins the spindle. (All you get is the spindle and the M style nut. You still have to buy collets and an M style wrench.) For someone who mostly carves, the ER16M and the Dust Cap make for a great combination.

(Kevin excluded. Sorry Kevin but we need to expand the club!)

Al, the reason I have gone to the trouble of making the Dust Cap carvable is because I never heard anything else from Ron Justice. I originally hoped he would manufacture these things. He went silent on the ER spindles as well. He may not think the demand is there.

Anyway, you have to carve your own. It is not so hard. I will provide better instructions later if I decide to make it a Carvewright Project.

(If time is money Al, the forum users owe you about million dollars!)

It is certainly on my short list of to dos- especially with your proof in concept for metal carving.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this- it is beyond cool
Lawrence

geekviking
08-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Way beyond cool idea!

But Ken, I think my wife and I have the other nickel, we've been looking for yours for awhile now... :)

DickB
08-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Busy right now; I have four projects machined but not finished and three more projects pending. Your system may work better, but mine is satisfactory for now. I need to keep building.

I like the concept. It is similar to systems I have seen on larger, commercial CNC routers. I do have a concern for some work that I do in pine which often generates clumps of curly shavings, that these may clog your system. And I'm not crazy about replacing the bit plate. I will probably try your system or something like it, but not right away.

bergerud
08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I was only hoping for a few members to participate in testing this prototype. I wanted some experienced carvers to test the making of it and use of it with the different types of chucks and situations. With what was learned, the concept could be taken to the next level where anyone could carve and use it.

As for the bit plate, it remains an unfortunate complication on the one hand yet the new bit plate is consistent and quiet. Its function does not depend on the carriage crashing into the end of the machine. It is nice not to hear that "THWACK" anymore!

As for the curly chips, I like to carve with the grain at times and I thought it would clog as you say. It does not seem to be a problem, it takes them one at a time as they come off.

I know many of you guys are too busy to get into this and you should wait until it has been thoroughly tested before adopting it. I am depending on the members who said they wanted to be involved in the evolution of this thing to get involved. Come on you guys, it is time to put the bit to it.

henry1
08-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I was only hoping for a few members to participate in testing this prototype. I wanted some experienced carvers to test the making of it and use of it with the different types of chucks and situations. With what was learned, the concept could be taken to the next level where anyone could carve and use it.

As for the bit plate, it remains an unfortunate complication on the one hand yet the new bit plate is consistent and quiet. Its function does not depend on the carriage crashing into the end of the machine. It is nice not to hear that "THWACK" anymore!

As for the curly chips, I like to carve with the grain at times and I thought it would clog as you say. It does not seem to be a problem, it takes them one at a time as they come off.

I know many of you guys are too busy to get into this and you should wait until it has been thoroughly tested before adopting it. I am depending on the members who said they wanted to be involved in the evolution of this thing to get involved. Come on you guys, it is time to put the bit to it.

I would try it but were can I get the pieces or do I have to carve them

jaroot
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Well I've already got a 4" DC system on mine, though I'm not completely satisfied with it. I have down loaded the files. If I can come up with the acrylic I might give it a shot.

As for the "THWACK", I've always found that to be reasuring. With the trouble I've had with the bit plate not extending all the way it lets me know that all is well.

bergerud
08-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, you have to carve the parts out of 1/4 inch cast acrylic. The files and rather brief instructions are on the "To Carve the Dust Cap" thread. There are also some parts to buy. It is a project.

As for the "Thwack", that's what I meant. No more bit plate noise or problems!

JLT
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it?

Just saw this thread yesterday, and am intrigued, as I've yet to employ a dust collection system. Great concept! If I didn't have my hands full with other projects (am trimming out part of the house), I'd jump right in. In a few weeks...

jeff412
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm in. I'll pick up some 1/4" acrylic today and see what happens. I have a CT chuck. Do you have a material list somewhere?

Jeff

bergerud
08-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Welcome aboard. All there is so far is what I put at the end of the 'To Carve the Dust Cap" thread. I am sorry the instructions are not more detailed. Just start with a couple of square feet of 1/4 cast acrylic cut up into 3 inch squares and some Methylene Chloride (or similar liquid solvent glue) to glue of some of the squares together face to face. You will also need some thicker glue later to glue cut out parts together. That is all you need from the plastic shop.

Before you start, you might do a calibration test. For example, drill a hole halfway through the middle of a square from each side and check the line up.

If you have a CT, you will have to decide on the hole size in the cap top. I think at least 1/16 clearance. There will only be a thin ring left.

Please feel free to ask any questions and feel free to post any results!

jeff412
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Can you post some pictures of the sled you use. I'm not real clear on how you are putting the 3 x 3 x 1/4 pieces on the boards.

Jeff

bergerud
08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
The mpc files for the carrier boards are there with the mpc files for the parts. I just made the 3 inch squares a press fit into the carrier boards. You could use screws or even tape.

Mike Snyder
08-30-2011, 08:39 PM
where are the MPC files? I have been looking through this thread and dont see em anywhere. I am still a little unclear as to how it mounts under where the boards sensor is. Thanks