PDA

View Full Version : 8' sign with Azek

easybuilt
08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Here is a 8' sign I just finished that I made out of Azek. I have a DC but but I found out that I need to keep blowing out the Z truck. My first try I received a error message. The whole carve was 12 hours and I used the 3/8" bit for the letters. The bridge is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and the customer wanted it green with silver highlights.
The second is a wedding sign from last month. TerryT created the sign shape and rose, I did the rest of it. Thanks Terry for all your help.

myshop1044
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Tom nice looking signs. What was the trouble with the Azek. Are the chips too big or the dust too much for the Dc?
A lot of us want to try this Azek , but are worried about the dust or amount of dust build up in the machine
even with the DC running. What type of error did you get?
Is it worth trying for the money?

Perry

easybuilt
08-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Tom nice looking signs. What was the trouble with the Azek. Are the chips too big or the dust too much for the Dc?
A lot of us want to try this Azek , but are worried about the dust or amount of dust build up in the machine
even with the DC running. What type of error did you get?
Is it worth trying for the money?

Perry

The dust collected in the bottom of the gear on the Z truck and it stopped half way through causing the truck to jam. I cleaned everything and used dry lube on the bearings. I then recarved it I used my blower and every 30 minutes blew out the gear and bearings for 8 hours on the letters and then the bridge for 4 hours. I have a 1 inch opening on my cover so I kept it clean that way.There is so much static that stuff clings to everything. When I finished all I did was roll the letters three times with a foam roller and brushed the bridge and put on on highlights. The sign was c
omplete.

TerryT
08-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Tom, that Azek sign looks great! Nice work.

mtylerfl
08-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Tom,

Once again, great work! Please share with us the type of paint you used on the Azek sign. Looks really professional.

b.sumner47
08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi Tom, The signs looks great, it's real small hard to see maybe is's my forty something eyes. Capt Barry

easybuilt
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Tom,

Once again, great work! Please share with us the type of paint you used on the Azek sign. Looks really professional.
Thanks everyone!!
I was impressed how well it carved, very little cleanup. The board is 3/4" thick. Michael T, I used Sherman Williams Resilience exterior gloss. Since it was so dark it took three coats but two would work on most colors.

lawrence
08-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Awesome job- thanks for sharing your technique, materials, and pics with us-- That's a top-notch professional looking sign

Lawrence

rcdages
08-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Tom,

Great job on the sign.

Looks like the bridge detail held well. What size is the bridge carving area?

As always good carving.

easybuilt
08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Robert the bridge carve is 13" X 11". The AZEK did not chip at all, another reason to use it for this type of carve and outdoor location.
I attached two French cleats to the back of for hanging. Delivered the sign today and they were thrilled.

ktjwilliams
08-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I carved some AZEK.... It carves pretty good, but U still have some fuzzies to deal with.... Also, the stuff is very messy, it clings to everything.. My goodness had to stay on top of it with a blow gun... I got some free samples of sign board,, Now that was great to work with No fuzzies,, no chipping,, easy to clean up... Once I got the price of the sign board,,, I think I'll stick with wood,,, and composites ...