PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

guido5286
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I got a 1/4 inch ball nose bit from the carvewright store and it didn't come like my other bits where it fits right in. So do I need a collet or something else. I saw some bit stops how do they work?

AskBud
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I got a 1/4 inch ball nose bit from the carvewright store and it didn't come like my other bits where it fits right in. So do I need a collet or something else. I saw some bit stops how do they work?
You need one (or several) split collets. I have 3, so I may more quickly change bits in both my machines as I carve or use my probes.

The stop collars are just rubber hose with a 1/4" I.D. You could go to any hardware store and buy a foot of hose and make your own. They all tend to melt, somewhat, as the bit heats up so you need to make/but new ones from time to time. Its purpose is only to assure consistant bit placement on the initial and second insertion, into the chuck.
AskBud

guido5286
08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
You need one (or several) split collets. I have 3, so I may more quickly change bits in both my machines as I carve or use my probes.

The stop collars are just rubber hose with a 1/4" I.D. You could go to any hardware store and buy a foot of hose and make your own. They all tend to melt, somewhat, as the bit heats up so you need to make/but new ones from time to time. Its purpose is only to assure consistant bit placement on the initial and second insertion, into the chuck.
AskBud

I really don't need the stop collars then because when I'm using more than one bit I have to measure them twice. One before I start and then when I change bits I have to measure again.

AskBud
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I really don't need the stop collars then because when I'm using more than one bit I have to measure them twice. One before I start and then when I change bits I have to measure again.Yes, you could just re measure on each change, however, the purpose of the stop collar is to eliminate the need to re-measure, by hand, for that 2nd insert.
AskBud