PDA

View Full Version : A Poll: Should the Machine be bought now or wait

avboy5000
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Please Owner of the Carvewright only,

steevo
01-15-2007, 09:31 PM
The machine is a bit high maintenance at this point. If you like messing with machines go for it. Between the time I would spend designing (which is how I would prefer to spend my time) and the time I would spend tweaking the machine/redoing projects I don't think it is time to buy - wait 6mo to year I would guess. CW seems to be having a few growing pains as they transition from beta to production. When they get the bugs with the mass production in China worked out it will be one top notch product.

I got mine friday and am on the fence about keeping this early version of the production machine. Would like to spend more time designing and less time dealing with z axis problems and carving bits that don't always listen to the computer. I am very curious to see what kind of machines are being produced in 6mo or so. Whaddaya expect for 2 grand? I guess that is the question..

I know others have had a better experience - maybe you'll get lucky with the machine you get. Good Luck!

Jeff_Birt
01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I think this an interesting insight into human nature. It is interesting to see how different folks react to problems. I spent several years doing field service on different types of equipment, including robotics and CNC controlled plasma and flame cutters. One thing I have learned is that some people make a real effort to find a resolution to a problem and some people you just can’t please.

I read over the forums for several weeks before deciding to buy a CompuCarve/CarveWright. What made a lasting impression on me was how the company stood behind their product. I was left with the impression that CW would be there when I needed them. I picked up my machine in mid December and did have a problem with in a few weeks. I called CW; I did not get through the first day, but I only tried twice. I called the next day, talked to some real nice people and they sent out the part I needed. Ideally, I would not have needed to replace the Z-axis motor, but I did, and CW was there to stand behind their product without a hassle.

I volunteered to be a forum moderator, and was told by CW that they keep all posts up, the good the bad and the ugly. They want people to be able to make an informed decision. This also impressed me.

It floors me to see people freak out when they cannot get a problem resolved ‘this very instant’. I mean, come on – grow up. But then, I saw the same thing when I worked on equipment in the field. Some people you just can’t please. So, for those handful of folks who are having fits because your can’t get your new $2,000 toy to work at ‘this very instant’ (or since Friday) ; step back, take a deep breath and go have the beverage of your choice (I prefer coffee, some home roasted Ethiopian to be exact) . Get good nights sleep and take a fresh look at things tomorrow.

The Bard
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
hot chocolate For The Win!

Jon Jantz
01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I selected "Right Now"

Been very happy with my machine. A few errors here and there and a couple of messed up boards... but just as much my fault as the machines.

But if you're gonna be a whiner or class action suer... how about "NEVER"

8)

menewfy
01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
I was not expecting growing pains even though I did read alot before i bought. For the more experienced 2k might seem likea steal but to me it is a large sum and I was looking forward to getting it and rockin. The more I read and learn it seems to me that CW has a great attitude about customer service and they want to help you out and get you back up and running.

As a specific example I think I am the only person in Canada to own one of these and as such because they don't ship internationally I was not too sure about the support I would get, I am glad to report not only did they not mind calling me to try and figure out my issues(with the machine not my head) they are also picking up half the shipping tab so I can afford to get it fixed instead of returning it. I am somehwat impressed with the machine (out of their control), however I am very impressed with the company (totally within their control)

Thanks CW looking forward to getting my machine back and running.

I would definitely recommend getting one right now, dont fool yourself you will have issues with it guarenteed and you will also have help to deal with them.

Look at it this way as you are solving your issues you are getting FREE training on your unit for future reference LOL.

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2007, 09:44 AM
I just ordered my unit from Sears... Full Price..... I could drive 50 miles to a store.... Wanted to wait but I believe this is the best decision. I want to perfect a line of 911 house number signs before the tourist season begins again here in the Pocono's.

Add me to the "Right NOW" list....

AL

Pocono Digital Woodshop

Shohola, PA

Laser Engraving, Sublimation, and soon V Carved Signs

Edit Update: Saw where some people were still getting the discount tonight. Called Sears Customer Service in Atlanta and talked to Rose. I placed a new order after she checked and my order placed this morning was not in the computer yet. Turns out that the number on the www.sears.com/carve page is a company taking orders for units then batch entering them in a few days into the Sears system. They didn't want to hear discount this morning, just full price. So I still ordered. Bet that unit will be on the slow boat from China.... Guys ordering at a store are getting better response time plus the discount. Rose offered me the Tool Club price tonight and I placed an order with her and I bet it gets here first. As far as the other one, I will tail chase it tomorrow and try to stop it. With the business I have planned for the unit doing 911 house number signs a second unit wouldn't be so bad..... Especially if one crashes..... The guy at the /carve number couldn't even give me a order conformation number just the number to Sears customer service to ask them for it. I believe the Atlanta call center is working late tonight due to the bad weather in the west taking calls. My hat goes off to Rose who went above and beyond the call to duty researching my order and getting me the discount. Joined the Tool Club tonight too before calling Rose but she said I needed the card in hand to get the discount in 6 weeks..... Bah Humbug.

Talking to Rose tonight reminded me of when I worked for Sony at the Service Center. I talked to a lot of customers and I really tried to help them. It's nice to meet someone like Rose that cares. Thanks Rose!!!

One last thing, Rose said they orderd about 7 unit tonight for people.

Ken-S
01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
I say if you have to ask this question you should wait. I do not know but from what I read it seam that CW is working on the problems and putting out fixes. So if you have to ask give it 6m hopfuly most of the bugs will be fix. But if you are like me I am willing to try and work with the bugs to get mine toy.

David M.
01-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I would and do recommend this machine to anyone I think might be interested or in need. I've had mine for some time now (one of the original 200) and have had very good results. Minor issues (98% me). The more I learn the more I look back and said "ohhhh that's what happened".

Bmac
01-16-2007, 07:57 PM
If you're the kind of person who walks through a store, sees something really neat and just has to have it.... this isn't the machine for you.

I would guess that a fair number of those who are dissatisfied with the machine saw the ad on television, had to have it and fell for the marketing.

Autodoc
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't have my CW yet, but I will be ordering it in two weeks.

I have read ALL the posts and have learned so much - I am also going into this with my eyes OPEN. I know that there may be some issues, but with the help of this forum and the great people at CW I am confident that I will get through any "bumps" in the road.

hss1
01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I have had a problem or two, but the forum has helped in each case. I have not had a problem that has required me to replace any parts, but have found that a clean machine is a happy machine. As long as CarveWright is going to upgrade the registered users for 2 years with the latest sofeware I feel that you will be loosing some value carving time if you wait.

I am enjoying every minute.

Henry S. Swearingen

littlemikeyp
01-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Your list is missing:

Don't buy until major design changes are made.

ChipMonk
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Without actually getting one myself it would be hard to figure out what "until major design changes are made" would have to be implemented to solve issues. From looking at the machine at the local Sears store it appears fairly simple in design and concept. At first look over at Sears it appears a little on the "too much plastic" side and not enough "beefy metal" side for a machine costing $2,000.00 at full price. It would appear the power is in the software and the ease of use. From looking at another thread it looks like centerline text is going to cost $ 50.00 (which I think should be included) and the software upgrade is going to cost $ 500.00. (okay $ 495.00) Wow.. Almost $ 500.00 for a software upgrade. That has got to be a heck of an upgrade. Maybe it will solve all the problem that have been reported.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1047&start=15
Now the value for the money is getting a bit out of hand. $2,000.00 for the machine and then $500.00 to get the software upgraded and $50.00 for cenerline text. A quarter + of the price of the machine for software upgrades and I thought Windoze upgrades were bad ;). I would hope for that price it would be free upgrades for a few versions.

Anyway. For those that are thinking about getting one at this time I did get to look at the next Craftsman Club flier (next week) (Jan 2? to feb ??) and the CompuCarve is on the back page for $ 1,699.00 for Craftsman Club members.

Hoynesr
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I bought the machine 3 days ago and after it went up in smoke on the 4th project, I took it back to Sears. When it worked, it worked beautifully.

After 3 days of intermittent use, the drive mechanism cooked and snapped off and the top was not able to go down any longer.

I would wait until the problems are resolved. I'd like a more durable product for $1900. That said, I loved the capability when it was working.

KarmaJon
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM
My problems notwithstanding, I think the machine was well designed. The plastic parts are not in any critical area where stress or strain would render the unit inoperable. It is well thought out, and making any automated machine work as easily as this one does requires ingenuity.

For our part, it's going to require some degree of ingenuity to "override" the simplicity to make this thing do what we dream.

Look, With over 800 registered users on this forum, and with as few true problems as I've noticed, well, I'd say that's pretty damned good!

I'm commited to seeing this machine being successful! Think of those early aviators! How BADLY do YOU want to fly? Badly enough to spend a weekend in the barn looking the "bird" over if need be? If so, then buy one now! If not, stay Earthbound 'till everything is "safe."

Ron Baird
02-02-2007, 11:13 PM
I have had my machine for over a year now and have seen almost all the problems possible with it but they have all been fixed by C/W. My machine has had several updates to overcome some of the problems but they always gone out of their way to help me out as fast as possible. The production m/c's have had many changes from the beta's to correct some of the problems and appear to have some new problems but they will be corrected. There is probably about 5% or so failure rate on the new m/c's which is pretty small. They have gone from 200 to 4000+ machines in a couple of months and you cannot hire and train staff fast enough to handle that kind of growth. The guys at C/W may take a while to get back to you so be patient!!!! These guys don't go home at 6:00 many off them are there until midnight or later trying to do what they did not get to during the day. (they don't answer the phones then so they can work)
If you think you can buy a machine and immediately make beautiful carvings without even reading the manuals then don't bother buying one, but if you want to be creative and challenged your imagination and ability is the only limitation with this m/c.
The impatient and unskilled will return their m/c so someone who really appreciates it can have one!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

The Bard
02-04-2007, 12:19 AM
and some of those morons answer forum posts from home!

:shock:

Hawg_man
03-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I've only had mine a week now but am very satisfied. I am a retired machinist and have programmed and run NC/CNC metal cutting machines since 1973 so have some knowledge prior to purchasing mine. I bought it for hobby work and to make a couple of busks now and then selling unigue items. I would advise a potential buyer of 2 things, have a good gtaphics software program (Coreldraw, etc.) for fine tuning you idea's and have some computer skills using this software. My only complaint is having to invert the grayscale in order to achieve the desired carving results. The forum though discusses this problem and solution at length. This is a great communication site for both learning and sharing.;)

Rickrljones
03-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I've owned my Compucarve now for 3 months, the only problem I've experienced is Operator Error on my first carving, since then every carving I've completed has been excellent, although photos have been challanging... I've even purchased the Probe and Vector Art 3D, Animals 1 and Starter packages for it... Lets not forget that this machine that has alot of moving parts that require maintanace... This is a hobbist carving machine not your
industural machine. I think CW people should make a error trouble shooting guide...

Debbie Spencer
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Well....I've had my machine since December, and haven't gotten one nice thing out of it yet. First it was a problem with the "loose nut behind the wheel " in the pattern making department (that would be me....)and now a piece is off getting fixed. But I'm a patient woman, and I know that when the piece gets back all fixed and perfect, then look out world! I might even know what I'm doing by then! I'm " " this close to having the patterns just right! Whoooo hooo!!!!
Can't WAIT to get this bad boy back into action! <sitting here drooling in anticipation>.
Ok....the point is.....follow the forum and buy....buy....buy!!!

Sarge
03-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Would you ask the same question if you were getting the chance to date or marry the woman of your dreams??? I THINK NOT!!!

Instant gratification and procrastination are the downfalls of todays' society. I can tell you I've had no real problems with my machine. The next two posts will complain and whine about how messed up their machine is. Some other posts, you'll find an overgrown "Einstein" who claims to have a degree in Computer Engineering and decided to "fix" his machine. Well, the whiners don't have the patience to sit down and learn their errors. The others have this idiotic mindset that the machine is the problem, not them.

In closing, if you don't have the patience or the common sense to read and understand the material fully........... Don't buy the damned thing - EVER.

If you are prepared to learn, and understand there may be some issues.....BUY IT NOW.

Digitalwoodshop
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Snicker Snicker.... )E=MC2(

CallNeg151
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
If you are just beginning to read this forum, wait 1 month. Download designer, and keep reading the forum. That way, if and when you do buy the machine, you'll have a good idea as to what the machine is capable of, and will also learn some of quirks that come with this machine. You will have also learned to use the designer software. If you find that you are unable to learn designer, or if the posts in the forum suggest that the tinkering that is routine with this machine is beyond what you are comfortable with, or that the machine itself isn't capable of what you want to do (i.e. deep cuts beyond 1", metal engraving, etc.), then you should save your money and buy something that better suits your needs. If you NEED centerline text, wait until it is available.

If, on the other hand, you find that you create many designs that you MUST see carved, and are willing to invest in the care and feeding of a sometimes fickle tool straight out of science-fiction, then you should buy.

In short, the software and forum are available before you buy, use them.