PDA

View Full Version : Simple project cutting right

stinggray
07-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to cut a simple oval with a 3/8 bit, .2 depth, center from side to side on the board 1" from the bottom. The board is 13.5 x 7. When I start to run the project it asks me to scale from 7" to 6.965 so I OK it then I set it to the edge. I put the 3/8 bit in then start to cut. It know were near the size and location I placed it. Why is this and how do I cut this right?

Craig

fwharris
07-30-2011, 07:25 PM
The machine is seeing your board as 6.965 inches instead of 7". You will need to either get a wider board or change the board size in designer.

stinggray
07-30-2011, 07:38 PM
I've changed the board size and everything is still won't place and scale right.

Dan-Woodman
07-30-2011, 09:59 PM
When the machine asks, do not scale to size. Go back into designer ,with your card to upload, and change the size of your project board to just under what the machine reading is. Then upload your project again to the card , and run the project in machine again.
hope this helps, later Daniel

stinggray
07-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Even though I want the oval 1" from the bottom of the board when it asks should I center it on the board?

AskBud
07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Please start over with your problem, by attaching your MPC.
Also tell us the exact size of your actual board, and if you are also using a sled describe that as well.

As you set up your machine, it gave you a series of prompts. list each one and how you answered.

A board/sled the correct size will not cause a "Scaling" prompt, in itself. However, the replies to the machine set-up may drive that scaling issue.

I'm also sending you a private message.
AskBud

mtylerfl
07-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Even though I want the oval 1" from the bottom of the board when it asks should I center it on the board?

Hi Stingray,

"Everything" (I hope) you need to know about Scaling (and how to avoid it) is contained in the following Tips & Tricks. Whenever you receive a scaling message, it is a warning only...never (that's right never, ever) allow scaling. The article describes what causes each type of scaling message and what to do to correct the problem. Hope it helps you...here is the link...

ISSUE 18 March 2009 – Scaling and How to Avoid It! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

Oh, when the machine prompts you for Centering, say yes (press 1). All it means is that your entire design layout will be centered on the board. Clean and simple. After you have gained a few hours of experience and understand how the machine works, you can experiment with other options for positioning, if you wish. For now, just choose "center".

Also, whenever possible, please post your actual MPC file along with your question (unless it contains un-protected commercial patterns) so we can see exactly what you're dealing with. You would be surprised how often we discover a layout issue that can be easily corrected.

Dan-Woodman
07-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Also , during or after you finish designing your project ,click on the blue measurements and click enter to lock that demension in. That way it won't move around on you .
later Daniel

stinggray
08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=AskBud;158750]Please start over with your problem, by attaching your MPC.<br>Also tell us the exact size of your actual board, and if you are also using a sled describe that as well.<br> <br>As you set up your machine, it gave you a series of prompts. list each one and how you answered.<br> <br>A board/sled the correct size will not cause a "Scaling" prompt, in itself. However, the replies to the machine set-up may drive that scaling issue.<br><br>

I am using a sled and it is 13.5x9.987x1. the board is 7.25x5.5x.5. My shop is all tucked away right now I will have to answer the prompts this weekend.

AskBud
08-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I've sent you another private message.
AskBud

AskBud
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Here is a snapshot of your Design with some notes. see my private message.
AskBud46351

AskBud
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
While I'm waiting on your response I'll give some observations.
You could/should make your design the same size as your board (7.25 x 5.5).
1) Place your oval exactly where you want it.
2) Center your board on your sled.
3) When you reply to the machine, "Stay under rollers" and select "Center".
This should give you exactly what you design.
AskBud

stinggray
08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
OK I made few changes and still get same thing. It will not place the oval in the right place. The sled is 13.5 x 6.9375 x the base is .5, over all 1. The board that sets inside the sled is 6.25 x 5.5 x .5. The board shows smaller then it is. 13.453 x 6.898 When making the oval I create a half circle copy it then flip. When placing them i enter the distances from bottom and side. Next I place 2 straight lines connecting two half circles. Why dose it move and how do I stop it?

Here are the steps i take on the CW.
Chose Project: Oval pod 13.45 x 6.9 x 1
Under Rollers: Yes
Scale to with: The only options I have is Scale or load new board so I choose Scale. I wish I could choose do nothing.
Place: I did both Edge and center
Cut board to size: No

stinggray
08-07-2011, 10:56 AM
One more thing when it measures the board it comes back with 6.561 x 13.453

jaroot
08-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I think that the problem is the designer board size. I'm not sure but maybe you should try setting the design board size to 6.25 X 5.5 then place it in your sled and "keep original size" and (assuming that your work piece is centered in the sled) "center" the board.

I've cut out a lot of little picture frames this way with good success.
This frame is approx 8.75 long and 5.5 high and that is the size of the designer board. I use a carrier (jig I believe is the CW name for it) that is 1/2" thick with a hole 8.75X5.5 cut out of the center.

I select the project, stay under the rollers, keep original size, center, do not cut to size, and so far I've made about 50 of these.

If I get a chance to day I'll try to duplicate your oval.

Good luck

OK I made few changes and still get same thing. It will not place the oval in the right place. The sled is 13.5 x 6.9375 x the base is .5, over all 1. The board that sets inside the sled is 6.25 x 5.5 x .5. The board shows smaller then it is. 13.453 x 6.898 When making the oval I create a half circle copy it then flip. When placing them i enter the distances from bottom and side. Next I place 2 straight lines connecting two half circles. Why dose it move and how do I stop it?

Scale to with: The only options I have is Scale or load new board so I choose Scale. I wish I could choose do nothing.

AskBud
08-07-2011, 11:30 AM

46409You are still shooting yourself in the foot!
Your design is 13.45 long, which means that when you select "Stay under rollers" the machine expects to find a board/sled that is at least 20.45+ long.

I still stand by my earlier post. However, you could possibly succeed by not selecting the "Stay under roller" option as well. In either case I would use the "Center" option as well.

DO NOT Scale!
AskBud

jaroot
08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
OK I ran your project. I adapted it to fit my carrier, which means that I made the designer board the size that fits my carrier i.e. 8.75 X 5 X .5 but I left the oval alone so it is the same size as yours and it is set to carve 1" from the bottom of the design board. Next I selected the project, "yes" stay under rollers, "keep" original size, "center" on board and "no" cut to size.

Here are the results.

First Picture shows size of oval, second "design" board in carrier, Third length of oval, last two show that the oval is 1" from edge of design/project board.

Hope this helps.

stinggray
08-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys I just got in from my shop. What I did was Change my design to the size of my the peace that goes into the sled. 6.25 x5.5 and kept original size and centered it. That did it.

I had a brain fart when thinking the CW would not be looking for extra 7". I guess it's because I was more focused on the end result and the CW should know what's in my head. OMG that would be scary it see what out if it could. :-) Give another 10yrs and that may not be a joke.

stinggray
08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Here's the end result. I am making Pods for my pod and rail CNC machine back at my closet shop/work shop not my play shop at home. :-):) Not a very good pic but u get the idea.