PDA

View Full Version : Walter Reed Army Medical Center

LittleRedWoodshop
07-27-2011, 09:18 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I say good bye to WRAMC ... I spent a brief time there during my military service. The United States has lost a landmark and cornerstone of the Military Medical system.

LittleRedWoodshop
07-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Walter Reed Army Medical Center

Distinctive Unit Insignia

Description

A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height consisting of a shield and crest blazoned: SHIELD: Sanguine, a caduceus between in fess an open book and a flaming torch, all Argent. CREST: On a wreath of the colors (Argent and Sanguine) the helmet of Minerva Argent. Attached below the shield a doubled Maroon scroll inscribed "SCIENTIAE INTER ARMA SPIRITUS" (In the Spirit of Science and Arms) in Silver letters.

Symbolism

The shield is in the colors of the Army Medical Service - maroon and white. The caduceus is the symbol of the Army Medical Service and the open book and flaming torch are symbols of knowledge. The crest is the helmet of Minerva, who was the Goddess of Wisdom and the Patroness of Medicine.

Background

The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, on 7 January 1937. The insignia was redesignated for the Walter Reed Army Medical Center on 16 August 1954.

LittleRedWoodshop
07-27-2011, 09:40 PM
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/carvew16.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/pkuzup8b4989x9v/WRAMC2.mpc)

Click on the Image to Download the File

Smoken D
07-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks, my wife even shed a little tear. She was RN Army Lt. 63-68. Wasn't at Walter Reed, but took care of Nam boys.

MAX COX
07-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Smoken D, Thanks to your wife for her service to our country and for taking care of us Nam boys.

rcdages
07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks to all of us who give of their time to service our home land.

The Great USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chebytrk
07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I say good bye to WRAMC ... I spent a brief time there during my military service. The United States has lost a landmark and cornerstone of the Military Medical system.

So is it bein shut down? When and why?

Capt Bruce
07-28-2011, 06:23 PM
So is it bein shut down? When and why?

BRAC or Base Realignment And Closure process where Congress dictates what to close of former military installations to save funds.

Wikipedia can tell you more if needed.

geekviking
07-28-2011, 07:35 PM
It's a shame...