PDA

View Full Version : Older Z-Truck Board Moves

cntbill
07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
While trying to figure out my probe issue I figure I would make sure that the Z-Truck belt is at the correct tension, and clean the rollers and rails good, since noticed a slight drag at one spot when I moved the Z-truck up and down. I noticed when I hit the drag spot, the two prongs sticking out from the board would move. I can stick my finger behind the Z-Truck and move this board. I checked the Maint. and parts Pdf's but I don't see the board, I'm guessing since it is no longer used it is not included in the docs. I've found some photos from Al Who and others but I couldn't tell if there is screw holding it in place.

So how is this board attached and is there supposed to be movement allowed?

I'm also thinking that this loose board could be causing my scanning probe problems that I have in another thread? I started a new thread thinking this is a separate issue.

Attached it a couple of photos of the prongs and what can be seen of the board without taking the Z-Truck off.

Digitalwoodshop
07-24-2011, 08:04 PM
First thing.... Are you plugging the Scanning Probe into the Z Truck OR into the jack on the inside of the cover, keypad side?

If you are plugging into the Z Truck and it has worked in the past, then you have the old 18 pin FFC Cable.... You really want to get the new Z Bundle that replaced 2 circuit boards and you get a 14 pin FFC Cable. Then you need a adapter plug to plug the probe into the side of the cover....

So let us know.... Z Truck or cover... IF you already have the 14 pin FFC Cable then that circuit board is just a bother... It is not used any more..... The flat cable in the back can DRAG..... And if you have the 14 pin system just pull it out...

Old Picture... 18 pin not 16 pin.... A old ALsiners Moment...

AL

cntbill
07-24-2011, 10:07 PM
AL,

I am plugging the scanning probe into the Z-Truck, so at the moment I am pretty sure that I do need the board that is on the back of the Z-Truck, also I still have the old 18 pin FFC cable and boards. "ALsiners" LOL. Reading all the post here I can see advantages of upgrading to the Z Bundle along with the QT or the RC. I won't hold you to it, but do you know what is the approximate cost of the Z-Bundle? I have to take my upgrades in steps..

So being that I need the board still, how is it attached ? At the moment my machine to seems to be carving fine and I hate to have to take the Z Truck off in fear of breaking the screws, you know "If it is working, don't fix it" but, as I am having an issue with scanning probe and stumbled on the board moving and thinking maybe it is related...

Digitalwoodshop
07-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I think there is 2 ways to get the upgrade...

The first way with a new Z Motor with the new board on it.....

OR 2 circuit boards and a cable.... You replace the board on your old still good Z motor... New one has shorter cooling fins and wire cable protection. Could be other changes in the Encoder but I am not sure....

Don't forget to order the jumper cable for the probe.... I don't have a clue on the prices.... I am getting ready to place my first order since my big $700.00 order in 2009. Need some X Gears and FFC cables.

The flopping around could cause electrical problems if the little flat cable shorts. Usually you will get a Close Cover Error as it shorts out the data buss.... Cover is closed but computer thinks it is open....

And good call..... Get some of the metric Screws too before you start messing with the roller bearings....

AL

cntbill
07-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Well as it stands now, I think I am just going to put the cover back on as I have a couple of carving projects to finish, then I'll be calling LHR for prices, as I am thinking the upgrade will probably fix the probe issues.

I got the extra jumper with the probe, so I'm ok there. Made the mistake of trying to use it first, setting to Cover, the results were not quite what I expected :-)

Thanks for the reply and I must say learned a lot just reading some of your posts!

cntbill
07-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Just an up date.

I put an jumper (removed the metal part first) on the two pins sticking out and then I figured I would put a dab of hot glue to maybe keep it from moving. But as I took a closer look and found photo form AL of the "underside" and comparing it appears that the flat cable is slightly crooked. When I turned it on and had the probe connected it wasn't recognized and showed "Open", I pushed on the board and it went closed... so looks like I will be taking the Z-Truck off and reseating the cable and take it from there....

cntbill
08-07-2011, 11:38 PM
My hot glue fix seemed to work, scanned just fine, but I decided to remove the Z Truck and check it out as I was getting some other X, Y axis stall errors during carving.

What I found why the board was moving is that the connector ground lead was broken, and I guess it broke because on the other end board what held it on was missing, the why of the two pins sticking out. Also found that the flat cable had some wear.

I soldered the broken pin back, added some tape to the flat cable to help protect it, and then used double sided foam tape and some hot glue to support the other side. Put it all back together and it scanned well.

Digitalwoodshop
08-08-2011, 01:23 AM
You have 3 posts going at the moment, 2 with the probe and 1 with a Power Problem.... I posted that the L2 on the Power Supply could be bad... THIS CABLE on the Z Truck WHEN SHORTED will give you a blank display too.... I thought you updated to the new FFC Cable.... in the other post... YOU will not need this circuit board AFTER you change the FFC Cable to the 14 pin System.

Good Luck.... I will check back in a few hours....

AL

cntbill
08-08-2011, 02:04 AM
You have 3 posts going at the moment, 2 with the probe and 1 with a Power Problem.... I posted that the L2 on the Power Supply could be bad... THIS CABLE on the Z Truck WHEN SHORTED will give you a blank display too.... I thought you updated to the new FFC Cable.... in the other post... YOU will not need this circuit board AFTER you change the FFC Cable to the 14 pin System.

Good Luck.... I will check back in a few hours....

AL

This post and and the one about the probe should probably be combined since they are related, didn't realize that at the time. I just updated them both since I was able to correct the issues. And not yet on the new FFC cable/14 pin system, but it is on my list. About the Z Truck, I am going to copy that to the other thread to keep on the same plane...

Thanks,

Bill...