PDA

View Full Version : 5 Yr Warranty on Compucarve units

BobC33
01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I just went out and bought my cnc machine at Sears with my Craftsmans Club discount and my Sears Retiree discount will be here Friday. But when I asked the sales people about the warranty on it they could not find anything listed. Later they left me a message on my phone saying that they did not offer any 5 yr warranty. So what I want to know is where did some of you guys get your Sears warranty and if so is there some kind of number to reference it with. Would appreciate any help you can give....in the meantime I am already getting my projects ready to go so when my machine gets here I can try her out and put it thru all the paces. Also would like to know if there is any program in the world that can take 2d photos and make them into 3d reliefs that stand out just like an engraving on a coin...I know there has to be some program out there that can do this....the trouble is finding it....any suggestions? Thanks in advance from another newbie who dished out the bucks and hope it's all worth it.....have read all the threads in all forums and hope it works out like I think it will.

Julie Coffey
01-15-2007, 05:39 PM
It is my understanding (and correct me if I'm in anyway in error) that the warranty is 1 yr or 200hrs. Which ever comes first. Now that being said- Sears does not offer an extended warranty, if someone was sold one I would believe it was done so in error and hope no one ever has to find out the hard way. Sears also does not repair them if something comes up that cant be fixed by reading the troubleshooting recommendations here and/or going through CW it would have to go back or parts sent to you(I'm guessing on the latter).

The people there so far have been wonderful with any questions I've had. Now they are settling in I'd imagine they'd be more accessible to answer any questions you might have.

I'm expecting my machine in tomorrow, I've been pouring over everything I can get my hands on to read.

Best of luck to you when you get yours in!

Julie

BobC33
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info I just figured since I read on the forums that some of the people got the warranties I had to ask. I just feel that Sears and Craftsman is losing ground when they don't offer warranties on products that cost as much as this Compucarve machine. I feel like I spent lots of money and will have to baby this machine when I get it because I imagine the repair will be costly when it breaks after the 1 yr or 200 hours. At that pace it looks like I can make 20 projects if each average about 5 hours....not bad for a $2000 machine.....progress. Just shows Sears has lost in the retail business (losing everyday) and at this pace won'tbe long there name will be history like Wards. But again thanks for the info I guess I was feeling happy knowing after reading all the threads on the forum that it would be a could idea to get the extended warranty on this high priced new toy. Oh well, what is a person to do....guess go carve some anti-Sears slogans and get over it........

Julie Coffey
01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Well Bob I haven't gotten my hands on mine yet so I cant say one way or the other.

What I do know is this, I will read everything thoroughly, then read it again with my husband. Then we will set it up- and follow the directions in the manual.

I'm patient, probably not as patient as pkunk but I will give it every opportunity and the people at CW the chance if a problem arises. And we'll just have to see. I'm really glad this forum is here though for support, it would be a very lonely place without it.

Julie

tfbrecht
01-17-2007, 09:39 PM
[quote="BobC33"]Thanks for the info I just figured since I read on the forums that some of the people got the warranties I had to ask. I just feel that Sears and Craftsman is losing ground when they don't offer warranties on products that cost as much as this Compucarve machine. I feel like I spent lots of money and will have to baby this machine when I get it because I imagine the repair will be costly when it breaks after the 1 yr or 200 hours. At that pace it looks like I can make 20 projects if each average about 5 hours....not bad for a $2000 machine.....progress. Just shows Sears has lost in the retail business (losing everyday) and at this pace won'tbe long there name will be history like Wards. But again thanks for the info I guess I was feeling happy knowing after reading all the threads on the forum that it would be a could idea to get the extended warranty on this high priced new toy. Oh well, what is a person to do....guess go carve some anti-Sears slogans and get over it........[/quwote] wonder why CW doesn't offer extended warranty+

littlemikeyp
01-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Sold in error:

I purchased the 5 year extended warranty and receieved the confirmation last week with the correct product number on it.

My wife (an attorney) reviewed it and looks like it's valid for warrantee purposes. If Sears doens't honor it I guess I'll be seeing them in court.

HandTurnedMaple
01-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Sold in error:

I purchased the 5 year extended warranty and receieved the confirmation last week with the correct product number on it.

My wife (an attorney) reviewed it and looks like it's valid for warrantee purposes. If Sears doens't honor it I guess I'll be seeing them in court.

hehe, who was the person that sold it to you so I can call and ask for them by name for my own warranty. :lol:

BenCraig
01-21-2007, 05:06 PM
What I do know is this, I will read everything thoroughly, then read it again with my husband. Then we will set it up- and follow the directions in the manual.

Julie,
I'm not for sure if you have received your CW yet (or if there is anyone out there who does not have their machine yet and wants to read the manul.) However, you can downloand the CW manual from the following link:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads.html

You can also download the trial software and the CW Probe manual from this site as well.

BC

Julie Coffey
01-21-2007, 05:28 PM
No I haven't gotten my machine yet, I've been 'told' it will be here next Friday? I'm getting a lotto ticket, we'll see who has better luck.

This has nothing to do with the CarveWright folks this has to do with Sears and distribution problems.

So I'll play with the software, read and reread the boards and owners manual, dream of winning said lotto and buying the Artcam Pro software and living happily everafter. ::laughs::

Julie

lex227
01-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Can you provide any details on the mythical extended warranty?

HandTurnedMaple
01-24-2007, 10:04 AM
The details are: I don't know anymore. One person got sold one on accident. Now Sears is probably legally obligated to provide that support (depends on how many lawyers they own). It will be one of the first things I check out when mine arrives Friday.

lex227
01-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I just bought Warranty this afternoon. 5 year Warranty $46.73

My extended warranty runs through 1/24/2012. It is the standard Sears Bench Top tool Warranty, with no special exceptions for the Compucarve.

I got it by calling the number at the back of the Operator's Manual - 1-800-827-6655.

The Sears operator looked up the model number 133.217540 and the system said Warranty was available for $46.73. I questioned the low price and he said that was what the system said, so I bought it. Certificate is in the mail.

The Bard
01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
someone is going to lose their job over that one.

BobC33
01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I am glad I stated this topic on the warranty due to the fact that the first threads I read said some people paid 139.00 for the 5 yrs now I see that a few of you are getting it for 46.73. I am going to jump on the band wagon tomorrow and get mine before they get wind of the screw-up...but having worked for Sears for 22 1/2 years they do not like going to court so if this warranty is for real then they will have to live up to the ones they sell and try not to sell any more once this blunder is found out. Besides if they reneg then all we have to do is a class-action lawsuit and that should end the discussion real quick. So get it while it's available or you might miss this great opportunity of a lifetime. Besides 46.73 seems like such a good price for a $2000.00 machine. Happy carving here i come........

mtylerfl
01-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Hello All,

I got my 5 yr warranty today for $45.59 on the CompuCarve unit. It's covered now through 01/25/2012.

Here's the scenerio...
I called and asked if a warranty was available for model 133.217540. At first, the lady said she couldn't find one, then she checked under the Benchtop Power Tools category, and she stated she found the model number listed! She told me that a 1yr and a 5 yr were available. The 5yr was only $45.59, said she.

I asked her twice if she was absolutely sure about the price and the availability. Yes, she says, and read the agreement terms to me. After that, she took my order and said that I'll receive a certificate in the mail in about 3 business days.

Now I have some peace-of-mind. My unit had to be sent in for repair after just 15 minutes of carving. :cry:

Erik at CW emailed me yesterday that they were trying to wrap up the repairs and hopefully ship it out to me today.

Can't wait to start having fun with it!

BobC33
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I just called The number in the back of the manual and asked to buy a warranty on the compucarve and gave her the model number. She then told me that there was a 1 yr and 3 yr warranty I could get on it .... so I took the 3 Yr warranty for 21.03..... She didn't mention anything about a 5 yr warranty but 3 yrs sounds good to me for this price. Well we will just see what happens but I imagine as long as you can prove that the warranty corresponds to the model number then it should be set in stone. Time will only tell. But who could refuse a warranty for just over $20.....

lex227
01-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I had to pay $1.14 more for my 5 year warranty.

I did not ask about anything but 5 years, so maybe they do have shorter warranties as well.

But is amazing they are not consistent in their pricing, unless they have lowered the price. Maybe there is a decreased volume of failed units that makes think that the long term warranty costs will be lower :wink:

Jon Jantz
01-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Got mine...

Had to pay more, but I'm still happy...

At first she could not find it... even though I told her it was under Benchtop Power Tools... finally she said she could do a 1 year or a 3 year standard Benchtop Power Tools warranty. I told her I wanted a five year but I'd take 3 if that's all she could figure out...

Then when she entered all in, she was like "hey wait, I CAN offer you the 5 Yr. Master coverage.." In all in was $85 with the tax, but still a bargain for a warranty on a machine like this... I didn't want to make ripples so I didn't argue...

Kenm810
01-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi All
Just read a few posts on my lunch break about sears extended warranty. Some of the prices looked to good to be true. I called the sears number 1-800-827-6655, and got a pleasant surprise. After supplying all the information, I was quoted $45.59 for the 5 year master protection warranty good until 1/25/2012. My certificate is now in the mail.

pruitts
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Well... I called the number and gave the model number as explained above. The lady at first had no idea, and then found the model number and said it was covered. She then quoted me a price of $110.25 for a 5 yr warranty. I told her that I had read others were receiving the warranty for around $46. She put me on hold.

A few minutes later a supervisor was on the line and I explained to him what I was trying to accomplish. He came back and stated that the warranty he was offering was the Master Protection Warranty. He proceeded to explain that there was a lower protection plan available for coverage however there were some differences between them.

The Master Protection Warranty covers the following:
Annual Checkup (they come to your house)
All Service fees covered
All parts and labor covered
Cosmetic parts covered
Can be replaced up to the purchase price of the machine.

He stated the regular replacement warranty:
Does NOT cover Cosmetic Parts
Does NOT provide the Annual Checkup
Only covers replacement costs up to $1500.

The cost of the Master Protection Warranty:

5 yr. = $110.25
4 yr. = $83.91
3 yr. = $60.91

I believe they also offered a 1 and 2 year plan, but I didn't catch the costs for those.

I purchased the 5 year plan. I figure $110 to cover a $1800 machine from top to bottom is worth it.

It seems that everyone that is calling the number is getting different answers about the warranties available. Hopefully, this helps someone else.

IM2HAPPI
01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
OK I just called. I got a smart one lol or should I say a Nancy Drew. She called her manager and called someone else and they all say there is NO warr. with this tool. I said well how many folks work there and she said oh probably 200. It wont surprise me if you guys that did obtain one get a rebate for what you paid. She asked me what others paid so I said 5 year $110.25, 4 year 83.91 & 3 year 60.91. She said well thats crazy !!! I said well I know what I paid for my dishwasher but didnt know what the going rate was for power tools. Anyways that was at about 4 pm. Bet a meeting will be called at that place.

Jon Jantz
01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Gee. Thanks a LOT, Barb. :roll:

<<<just kidding>>>

Bill
01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I believe your protection agreement or extended warranty will be null & void when you need service (someone is in error) There is no warranty of any kind at this time, when one becomes available you will be notified by Sears.

Read this thread I wrote from 12/21/06 - I also called again today and received the same answer as I did on 12/21/06.
Bill.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2707&highlight=#2707

pruitts
01-25-2007, 04:04 PM
When I called earlier today, the lady verified the model number was in her system and was eligible for the Master Protection Warranty. The thread above was from the middle of December and references the model number was not available. It appears they have added the model number in their system. But it is obviously still unclear (from IM2HAPPI's post) if a warranty is actually available.

lex227
01-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Bill, those of us who purchased an extended Warranty have a binding legal agreement. Sears cannot just say we made a mistake and give your purchase price back. That's why it is called a contract. They are legally obligated to perform, unless they file for bankruptcy

I am going to try to upgrade my 5 year warranty to a Master Protection Warranty.

To some extent the 5 yr warranty somewhat pointless because by then I would hope that today's CC is hopelessly obsolete as most 5 yr old computers are.

menewfy
01-25-2007, 08:50 PM
well a couple of things

first lex if you think it will be obsolete what makes the other warrenty any better than waht you have now?

second I called the number and the told me because i am in Canada I had to call a different number I suspect that without an american address i wont be able to get the warrenty at all, but time will tell.

lex227
01-26-2007, 02:05 AM
If you look in the last printed page of the CC manual you will find two numbers to call for extended warranties. One for "a protection agreement (USA) or a maintainance agreement (Canada)" and gives the USA and Canadian numbers. Since they provide a specific number for Canadians to call I would assume that they intend to sell to Canadians, but I admit I am an optimist by nature

As to the upgraded warranty, this is a proven trouble prone first generation machine in a whole new consumer product category so I want all of the additional protection I can get, particularly since the price seems very reasonable.

I fully expect to purchase the next version of the machine well before the 5 years is up, but in the meantime why not play it safe. ( I forecast technology developments like this for a living)

Malfunction
01-26-2007, 08:36 AM
i wonder if sears is going to pay the cw people to work on them. or if they are going to have some kid in the sears warehouse start ripping in to it.

menewfy
01-26-2007, 08:57 AM
well where should I start

i called the phone number for canada (thanks Lex)

the first time i was dissconected
the second time she told me to contact the american sears people and have them fax a form to them so they could enter the info into their system and they would call me back and sell me warrenty (oh boyu progress)

the third call i spoke with a guy that did not know anything about this "FORM" so he said I will call up there for you and figure it out then i will transferyou to them. He comes back on and tells me that he talked to freddie and explained to him the process and he will transfer me now.

the fourth call (kinda) i am talking to freddie he tells me that i have to call the canadian standards assoc to get the specifics and make sure it passes their requirements then he will enter the machine into the system and sell me the warrenty.

the fifth call i spoke to the CSA and seh said I dont know why they told you to call here i have never heard of anything like this before, i will put you through to out tech dept and see if they have.

the sixth call (kinda) i had to leave a mess cause no one picked up.

well all i can say is I hope it is worth it or I might need to borrow someones address in the us so i can register it and then after it is bought tell them i moved to canada and hope they will honor it here.

prayers and wishes hopes and dreams keep me going but i am still looking for the rainbow.

Tim

menewfy
01-26-2007, 10:15 AM
well i can pray and wish all i want they will not sell me one because i live in canada. the only loop hole is to give them an american address and if it ever breaks down i need to get it to that address so they can repair it and then get it back.

well let me tell you i am not sure how to go about that one cause the only people i know from the US are you folks and most of you already own one.

i will have to do some more thinking on this issue.

good luck to all.
tim

Shawn Gillies
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
menewfy, i am curious on how you purchased your machine. Did you drive over to the USA or have it shipped?
Onto the other thought, could you rent out a post officel box and register it to that address? When i was in transit along while back i had a Postal box and had all of my mail forwarded to it as a "Suite". Even had the police show up asking where i was at the post office to summon me as a witness and the clerk pointed to the box and said "he lives there" :roll:

Shawn Gillies

Kenxxx
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I received my machine yesterday from Sears and read today about the 5 yr. warranty on the forum. I called Sears this morning at the 800 number listed and was told there was no extended warranty available. I called the Sears store and they said bring in my receipt and they could offer the 5 yr. warranty. After many tries, they determined it was unavailable through their facilities. I call Sears at the 800 number, again, got a different person, and immediately got the 5 yr. warranty for $45.95 plus tax, with certificate to arrive in three weeks.

lex227
01-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I called Sears this afternoon to upgrade my 5 year warranty to a Master Protection Agreement
pruitts described in a prior post expecting to pay 110.25.

They located the warranty I had purchased earlier this week and verified that it was good until 2012, but said it was already a Master Protection Agreement (for which I paid $46.73) so there was no need to upgrade.

She said it was for a bench top tool so there was no in home service, but otherwise said it cover everything described by
pruits.

She closed by reminding me not to forget to bring the machine in for its annual check up.

When I reported earlier this week that I had gotten a 5 year warranty several people seemed to be unwilling to believe that it was true. As with this clarification that I already have a Master Protection Agreement I am just reporting what I was told and is legally binding on Sears.

As to the comment that they might "have some kid in the sears warehouse start ripping in to it" I would note that if they do that they will owe me a new machine under the Master Protection Agreement.

HandTurnedMaple
01-26-2007, 02:25 PM
After 3 phone calls, I got mine. 5 years $45.59 + $2 tax. I asked him to explain the warranty and he told me:

1) parts
2) labor
3) shipping
4) If they repair it more than 4 times in a year, I get a new machine.
5) If they can't repair it, I get a new machine
6) I am eligible for a loaner or rental while it is being repaired (how I don't really know)
7) a preventative maintenance check once per year, but I have to bring it in

And he typed up my certificate while we talked.

menewfy
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
menewfy, i am curious on how you purchased your machine. Did you drive over to the USA or have it shipped?
Onto the other thought, could you rent out a post officel box and register it to that address? When i was in transit along while back i had a Postal box and had all of my mail forwarded to it as a "Suite". Even had the police show up asking where i was at the post office to summon me as a witness and the clerk pointed to the box and said "he lives there" :roll:

Shawn Gillies

i did drive over to get it. i got it on sale for 1799 plus tax (see if you can find a state without tax being applicable and have it sent to the town that is closest to you with a sears store (in the us of course) and go pick it up.

i would advise you however to ask them to fax the receipt to you as proof of purchase when you come back in. I did not and got delayed by 45 mins by canadian customs, fun times :roll:

anyway I believe you might have a great Idea especially reading the other posts that i would have to bring it into the store to get it fixed anyway. I might just look into that one.

thanks
tim

Skyhawk
01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
I just got off the phone with a Sears rep and picked up a 5 year warranty for my system for $51.22...I called 800-827-6655 which I found in the back of Craftsman user guide...

menewfy
01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Shawn you have a great idea there i just called ups and they said i can sign up for a suite for three months for 40.00 so i will do so on monday and then call sears right quick LOL.

thanks again for the idea
Tim

Azbear
01-26-2007, 05:42 PM
1/25/07, I called to order the 5 year extended warranty from the 800 number listed on their web sight to order items. 1st lady could not find it, and then transferred me to Sears Craftsman warranty dept. This very nice lady found warranties for this product and spent a great amount of time working with me to get the proper one. With the model # of 133.217540, at 1st she quoted me $79.99. She then dug further and could not find the cost of $49.95. I grabbed the $79.99 for the 5 year warranty and she said it will be listed under the wood lathe items from Sears. She mentioned it may be a difference in price from state to state. She told me I also get the “in home service” and a yearly maintenance check up. She is mailing me the document and it should arrive in about 3 weeks.

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 06:06 PM
1/26/07 Thank You Carve Buddies, I just got off the phone with Chris at Sears and I got the 5 year package too for about $40. WOW !!!

He said this was not the first one he sold today, He knew about the machine from talking to other customers

AL

elmer
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
what number are you guys calling and what exactly are you asking for i have called 3 times to 18008276655and nobody i talk to nows anything thanks

The Bard
01-26-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a lifetime warranty and full access to all the parts needed...

of course

A: I don't own a machine and
B: it lasts only as long as this job does.

somehow, I doubt I can legally bind them to it, however.

elmer
01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
alright 4 th call i gave the guy the model number and got master protection for 45.59 thanks guys

Sam
01-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I just bought my 5 year warranty plan a few minutes ago and it will expire January 27 2012. It seems laget to me, we will all find out sooner or later. :?

dpowli
01-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I just tried to purchase the warranty for my Compucarve through the Sears phone number and was told there is no warranty available for that item!
Go figure.......

dpowli
01-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Keep CALLING!
With a total of 3 calls, I just purchased the Sears 5 year master warranty for $45.59.

If first you don't succeed......!

John Bateman
01-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I just gor off the phone with Sears with the intent of purchasing the 5 Year service agreement with extended warrenty. While having this forum up and talking on the phone I got transfeered to a person that said she didn't typically sell warrenties. But, she'd do all she could for me.
I ended up with a 5 Year extended warrenty with in home service for five years and a one year annual tune up included in the price. She also told me when the service person comes out that he may be reluctant to service this product and to give him this case number and to have him call the 1-800 number for NCR. This I feel would be vital information for anyone purchasing this particuliar warrenty is to have the case number and 1-800 number for any future problems with a service tech that would be questionable about servicing this product. The $45.00 price sounded good but with the "in home" service for $79.99 (+$2.00 tax I guess) that seemed to be the better bargian of the two choices. Also, the person I talked to said she notated every where possible in the document she had exactly what the product was to make certain there would be no confusion.
Please note: when calling to inquire about this warrenty it will take some patience.

dguber
01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
A bit more info on the Sears warranty debacle. I spent about an hour on the phone with the Sears folks via the number on the user manual. So after numerous transfers to various departments the basic answer was, you have to get the warranty from the store where you purchased the 'carver. Have to try that on Saturday.
So my dear wife took the challange and off to the sears outlet store in our small town. The clerk tried the same number that had been tried yesterday and had the same results. My wife told her well if there is no extended warranty we'll be bringing the machine back. The clerk then spent at least an hour and eight or more calls and finally found an extended warranty for 5 years at 47.57 w tax, at this number 800 469 4663 which stands for 4 MY HOME. So there is one out there. Many thanks to Melissa and the local store :) :) Hope it helps

Azbear
01-27-2007, 05:02 PM
dpowli,
Keep calling. Give them the model number. If they still can't find it, ask to speak with someone from the warranty dept. As you see, persistance will get you what you waht.

CW Rookie
01-28-2007, 06:55 AM
She closed by reminding me not to forget to bring the machine in for its annual check up.

Anyone familiar with Sears warranties know if this "annual checkup" is required to maintain the warranty?? (Not sure I want to be dragging the unit in to have some technician/kid/jerk mess with it every year.)

And I guess the warranty is only as good as the Company behind it. Yes, my Dad has always been a Sears Craftsman guy, but a coworker just this month spent DAYS on the phone trying to get Sears to come out and fix 3 NEW appliances he just bought that don't work (dishwasher, washing machine and frig that still don't work)!! :evil: Their phone support is HORRIBLE, but I guess everyone here is learning that too.

Wondering if I should lose another $50, or just stick with the standard warranty and the extra year warranty that is offered free by most credit card companies if the purchase was made with their card.

:?: :?:

sundog2001
01-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Just called Sears and was told no warranty for the CompuCarve. I wonder what others really bought? :)

Woodpecker
01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Had to take it back, {{new one on order.}} They couldn't find any reference to a warranty. Even the call center and the department manager couldn't find a warranty.

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
20+ people now have the warranty. So for those who can't get one, keep trying at different times and follow the directions listed in this thread. You will get one if you try hard enough. (Which is the way it is, not necessarily the way it should be.)

pruitts
01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
When I bought my warranty, I asked the lady if the annual service was required to maintain the warranty and they said no. It was offered just if you wanted to have the machine cleaned, etc. Not sure if I will take advantage of that or not.

Baron Richard
01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Just got off the phone with Sears. I was told by 2 different operators that the agreements that have been issued to date will all be canceled shortly because Sears is not offering service agreements on the Compucarve. :x
And that the agreements issued to date were obtained by "tweeking the system" and putting it under a different name. They also stated that it would be a waste of time and my money for them to attempt to sell me one. :evil:

Anybody have a professional view on whether this might be a legal move on Sears part?

Richard
================
Tempus Loquendi,
Tempus Tacendi.

HandTurnedMaple
01-29-2007, 05:34 PM
They can buy me out for $4000. I figure the odds are I'll get 2 new machines on the "if you need 4 repairs in one year, you get a new replacement" section of the contract (as iit was told to me). Other than that I would be open to a class-action suit. But it has not been cancelled yet, and you heard it from the same operators that can seem to find the contract to begin with. So I'm not too worried about it until it happens. And CW gives a year warranty to get repairs until this is settled (hopefully).

And as far as "tweaking the system" goes, all I gave was the model number Sears issued as it is printed on the cover of my Owner's Manual. So any impropriety they may claim was not on my/our part.

Woodpecker
01-30-2007, 04:40 AM
I just gor off the phone with Sears with the intent of purchasing the 5 Year service agreement with extended warrenty. While having this forum up and talking on the phone I got transfeered to a person that said she didn't typically sell warrenties. But, she'd do all she could for me.
I ended up with a 5 Year extended warrenty with in home service for five years and a one year annual tune up included in the price. She also told me when the service person comes out that he may be reluctant to service this product and to give him this case number and to have him call the 1-800 number for NCR. This I feel would be vital information for anyone purchasing this particuliar warrenty is to have the case number and 1-800 number for any future problems with a service tech that would be questionable about servicing this product. The $45.00 price sounded good but with the "in home" service for $79.99 (+$2.00 tax I guess) that seemed to be the better bargian of the two choices. Also, the person I talked to said she notated every where possible in the document she had exactly what the product was to make certain there would be no confusion.
Please note: when calling to inquire about this warrenty it will take some patience.

swhitney
01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Today, I inquired at my local Sears store, about a warranty for my yet to be received CompuCarve.... and was informed one is not available... hmmmmmmmm

It is a very small store... and I did inform them of info they did not know about the machine (isn't this forum thing great???!!!) but the computer system they were connected to came back with a rapid, yet bold NO.

As per usual, the big Sears may not yet be "up to speed"... after all, it is a K-Mart company....hehe

Should you have a "part number" or something specific I might request, I would try again...and report any results here.

Woodpecker
01-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks all for the input, I will continue my efforts.

devin07
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Just called Sears 800-827-6655 & the rep stated that for the Compucarve, no warranty is available. He said that "...if you've been reading the internet, you may have noticed a few who were sold a warranty and those 200 people who had purchased one will be having it cancelled & money refunded. Only the manufaturer's one year 200 hours is available for this machine."
Interesting to find out what'll happen next...

porkysbbq
01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
It amazes me every time I buy a power tool from sears they try to sell me a warranty, And on a tool that they know has problems they don't offer it they are a bunch of scumbags running that company :evil:

Julie Coffey
01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Porkys I agree that its unfortunate that Sears is not offering a warranty at this time. It has always been my understanding in the past they offer warranties on products they can work on in their own service centers- lets face it shipping it back and forth to TX would cost money and be problematic.

They are only giving the warranty that CW is giving their own name brand machines. Perhaps in time (long time more then likely) Sears service people will get the training to work on these. I see it as an inevitable if they are going to be continually sold through Sears. But until that time we have the good folks at CW to help us and this forum here to answer any questions that may arise from people who have already done it all.

I don't want anything to go wrong with my machine, but I'll work with the terms given me when I made the choice to buy it.

Julie

lex227
02-01-2007, 02:18 AM
As a retired lawyer with spare time I look forward to Sears attempting to cancel my warranty. (They do not have a legal right to do so.)

I will subpoena all of their warranty records, put some managers under oath and find out what happened before the local judge rules in my favor.

pine acres woodshop
02-01-2007, 04:36 AM
As a retired lawyer with spare time I look forward to Sears attempting to cancel my warranty. (They do not have a legal right to do so.)

I will subpoena all of their warranty records, put some managers under oath and find out what happened before the local judge rules in my favor.

You go lex227, I'm with you , I didn't force them to offer me a extended warranty, all I did was call and ask and they offered me one so I took it, not my fault.

Mark

Woodpecker
02-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks for all of the response, I have written a letter to the Sears Customer Service department requesting clarification of this issue.

oju392
02-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Sears just called me and I was told by the woman that sold me the 5 Year extended warrenty that they where NOT OFFERING any EXTENDED warentys on this machine and I would be credited for this on my credit card. She also told me that everyone that purchsed an extended warrenty would be refunded????
Anyone else???
Don't know what I could do

lex227
02-02-2007, 08:05 PM
I look forward to receiving the call trying to withdraw the warranty they sold and having the opportunity to explain the facts of life to them from a legal stand point. If they made a mistake and sold the warranty it is their problem, not mine.

IM2HAPPI
02-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Than we wonder why we have to pay so much for tool and warr. The price was a sign of an error, even I could see that. Sad how things like this end up costing us all. :?

BoardSilly
02-03-2007, 12:34 AM

And we wonder why the judicial system is so overloaded....

Lets see, some minimum wage earning phone flunky makes a mistake and VERBALLY says there is a 5 year warranty, they never take your money for it ( it is refunded on your card ) because they recognize their error, they never send you any written warranty, and you have no loss or damages...... what exactly are you sueing for again?

What is the financial loss that you incurred? What damages are you seeking to recover on?

Last time I checked you had to show damages... of course as an Attorney you know that you can sue a peanut butter sandwich if you want to.

They are not canceling the standard warranty.. they are just not giving an extended 5 year warranty.

I guess you could sue under Dolus Eventualis and say that the manufacturer had to knowingly and intentionally sell a product that they knew would or could break at some indeterminent point in the future.

If you are so egregiously upset because you can't get a 5 year warranty on the CW machine, I'd take it back and show them how upset you are by buying a ShopBot. That will show them who is boss!

lex227
02-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Silly, I will not attempt to explain the law to you, however there is a binding legal contract in this circumstance, even if it were oral (which in this situation it was not), and the damages are the loss of the five year warranty obligation on their part. They cannot get out simply because they now think it was a bad deal, even in Texas.

The facts in this case are that this was not a mistake made by a minimum wage flunky. Their warranty sales system had a price programed in, since several people were given the same price when they were sold their extended warranty. When I called back to upgrade my warranty to a Master protection plan they confirmed that I had already purchased a warranty, and said I already had the Master protection plan on the unit.

The sale of extended warranties has traditionally been a high margin profit center for Sears, more so than the profits on the actual items themselves in many cases. They generally know exactly what they are doing.

If there is a question as to whether a contract ever existed, a subpoena of their computer records will confirm that.

If a purchaser chooses to be a sheep and accept refund that is their option. In my case it is a matter of principle not to be taken advantage of by a sophisticated business organization.

mdefilio
02-03-2007, 08:04 AM
I guess what the lawyer will learn in court is that there never was an extended warranty. It was never in any system. Come on now, I know that lawyers are not smart people, but did you think honestly you were going to get a 5 year warranty for $46????? I was always told something since I was a child, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't. I would bet the farm that your warranty will be null and void and you will get your $46 back so you can have coffee with your other lawyer friends. You will get no where fighting this lost battle and I wait to hear your BS outcome.

John Bateman
02-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Sears called and has canceled my 5 Year extended warranty and gave me no choice of keeping the warrenty.
I am also in Virginia (Newport News).

menewfy
02-03-2007, 08:35 AM
gentleman and ladies this is not the debate forum please keep it about the CW system and not let it get personal.

thanks

Julie Coffey
02-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Ok everyone just a heartfelt thought. Let's end this right here and focus on whats really important. What I personally think about all this would get you a cup of coffee if you tossed in 5.00. (When my grandma was alive she used to say a quarter).

Instead if disparaging remarks lets collectively hope none of these folks have problems with their machines. Concentrate on using/learning to best our machines and sharing what we've learned from others.

Quasi-Saturday morning rant over**

Julie

We're preparing to FINALLY get to use ours for the first time today- wish us luck!

GoingCrazy62
02-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Folks..
I think the jig is up... I tried telling them I needed to cover a bench top power tool and the girl asked what is it, what does it do, how much did I pay..etc...When I told her it was a "wood lathe" (like some of you have posted) the young lady asked me if I bought it at Sears. I said yes and she asked me for some numbers off the receipt. When I gave them to her a warning came up saying no coverage found for this item. I think it's going to be harder to cover now. It appears that they really don't offer any type of additional warranty. I told her a "friend" already bought coverage, and she said they knew some customers were sold a warranty, but the warranty they bought was a generic coverage for tools under $250.00 or that some sales associates were adding basic wood working tools based on the model number, but they've all received memo's regarding the CC. She said if and when my friend needed service it was going to be a big hassle, but that they would probably honor anything sold before February 1 of this year. :cry: :cry:

lex227
02-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree we should get back to wood, plastic, etc working. It is a great machine, if somewhat unstable, and I am looking forward to see what it can do.

One final lawyerly comment, however, it really does not make any difference whether there was ever a warranty or not , people with actual or apparent authority to bind Sears sold an obligation for them to perform. I am willing to wager that I will prevail.

I will advise the outcome of my adventure with Sears.